the Round City of Baghdad

Built in 762-767, the Round City was designed by the caliph al-Mansur to be the administrative center of the ‘Abbasid Caliphate. Named Madinat al-Salam ‘the City of Peace’, it was situated on the west bank of the Tigris, surrounded by a double wall said to be 2 km in diameter, and divided into quarters, with the caliphal palace at the exact center of the circle, topped with a green dome surmounted by the revolving figure of a horseman pointing a spear in all directions. Each of the four quarters had a gate in the center. The circular design, built by Persian architects, was apparently inspired by round cities of the Sassanid period in Persia, like 3rd-century Firuzabad whose round shape can still be seen in aerial photographs.

Nothing remains today of the city of al-Mansur’s time. All information that I can find suggests that the walls and all traces of the Round City were obliterated during the later Middle Ages as the city grew into an urban agglomeration. Anyway, the city was destroyed by the Mongols in 1258.

On the map of modern Baghdad, I am trying to find out exactly where the Round City was located. The Green Zone occupies much of the old quarter of the city called al-Karkh, which was founded by al-Mansur as a suburb to get the markets out of the Round City. The book Baghdad During the Abbasid Caliphate by Guy Le Strange, some of which is available on Google Books, includes a map showing the Round City about 3 miles to the northwest of al-Karkh. The same area on the modern map has been named al-Salam after al-Mansur’s original name for the city. It has a railroad yard, a bus garage, machinery workshops, a pediatric hospital, and Ba‘ath Party headquarters. This map locates the Round City site a little farther from the river than Le Strange did, but in the same general area.

Le Strange and the other historical sources I looked up situated the Round City at the intersection of the Tigris with the Sarat Canal, which does not exist today, the Mongols destroyed the irrigation system. Le Strange’s book has a wealth of geographical details from this period of Baghdad’s history, but most of it is not available in Google Books, or I would have found more of the information I was looking for.

The core of the Green Zone is Saddam’s Republican Palace complex, and I wondered if the seat of government power being situated there could be traced back to the origin of Baghdad. Instead, it was originally a suburban area of the Round City. Now the district of al-Karkh has expanded north to cover the original site of the capital, which does not appear to be a very posh area any more. Since the American invasion, it has been the site of suicide bombings.

Mesopotamia is a land of disappearing cities. The entire civilization of Sumer vanished from history for thousands of years until dug up by archaeologists. The city of Wasit, once the seat of Umayyad power in Iraq, also disappeared in the Middle Ages and its site was lost. Like the Round City, these were built of sun-dried brick, which does not endure through the centuries.

So that later peoples wondered “Wasit really there?” :wink:

Frank Lloyd Wright had similar ideas in 1957, when brought in as an architectural planner by the Iraqi government: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/1469/pictures/iq_u1.jpg

Not Since Nineveh!

Wow… I hadn’t known about that. Too cool! So they wanted to recreate the idea… the circle really stands out in the history of urban planning, the Sassanids and al-Mansur probably intended it as cosmic symbolism. Compare with old mappae mundi that show the world as a circle divided into quarters based on the concept of Eden with four rivers going out of it, which was Mesopotamian in origin after all. The earliest prototype of the round mappa mundi was in fact Babylonian.

Frank Lloyd Wright’s design was meant for the meander in the Tigris where the University of Baghdad is, immediately south of the Green Zone. “Aerial plan of University and Isle of Edena”-- the name showing they were thinking of recreating symbolism of Eden… and that’s not all-- “Dedicated to Sumeria, Isin, Larsa–Bastion.” Saddam had grandiose plans to recreate the glory of the Babylonian empire, but this shows it didn’t start with him. Wright’s plan was considered by the Hashemite monarchy, which was overthrown soon after the plan was submitted, which is why it was never built. Wright said about it,

Nitpick… his history is off a bit… the Round City was built before Harun al-Rashid.

“Babylon” not “Bastion” sorry I misread the handwriting.

The name “Isle of Edena” was Wright’s idea to replace “Jazirat al-Khanazir” (Isle of Pigs), which is still its name today, oddly.

The map I have of medieval Baghdad in Hugh Kennedy’s When Baghdad Ruled the Muslim World: The Rise and Fall of Islam’s Greatest Dynasty ( 2005, 2006 Da Capo Press )is very similar but appears to show a rather larger footprint.

Every source seems to indicate that exactly zip survives of the round city, so I’m assuming the exact dimensions remain a bit hazy. I’m not sure a 100% accurate answer to your question exists.

Ah, my mistake. Apparently the dimensions were recorded - a diameter of “just under one and a quarter miles.” So I guess it is just a matter of finding the center, which, lacking remains, must be what people are guessing at.

And now I’ll take that back. I am seeing “posited” a lot, as well as different quoted diameters.

Back to my original opinion for now - nobody really knows.

But you would think that archaeology might find some indications buried in the soil? Hasn’t there been a dig?