The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 12-19-2007, 09:50 AM

Interesting answers to my history bonus questions...

When I'm done reviewing for a math test, I like to spend about 4-5 minutes asking some "bonus" questions from another subject. I teach 6th grade at an "excellent rated" school district. The first question today was:

"Everyone knows that George Washington was our first president, but who knows our second president?"

Answer #1: George Washington Jr.
Answer #2: Thomas Edison
Answer #3: Abraham Lincoln
Answer #4: Ben Franklin
Answer #5: Thomas Jefferson--now we're getting somewhere!

That was it. No one else had a guess.

Question #2:

"What was the first permanent settlement in the U.S.?"

Answer #1: Plymouth Rock
Answer #2: The Pilgrims--seriously.
Answer #3: Jamestown!

Question #3:

"Abraham Lincoln delivered a very famous speech. Name it."

Answer #1: The Constitution
Answer #2: The Emancipation Proclamation

No more guesses after that.

Last question: (Disclaimer--The school I teach at is in a small town about 12 miles away from Lancaster, OH--the birthplace of William Sherman.)

"What general lead a famous march through the South and to the sea during the Civil War, burning most of what was in his path?"

Answer #1: George Washington
Answer #2: John Adams--at least they were paying attention?
Answer #3: Grant

At this point I gave them the hint that he was from Lancaster, and that they all had visited his birthplace in the 4th grade.

Answer #4: Sherman!!!

Am I wrong for being depressed?

Last edited by RancidYakButterTeaParty; 12-19-2007 at 09:51 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 12-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Maybe.

I have to admit that some of the wrong answers were funny--especially from an adult viewpoint. I mean, George Washington Jr. is funny because George Washington, Father of our Country, didn't have biological children-- although Martha did (widowed before marrying George).

And the Emancipation Proclaimation is famously associated with Lincoln, and I'm not sure that it is reasonable to expect them to know about the Gettysburg Address.

Did you read the recent thread in IMHO about history? (Question for Parents of Schoolchildren about History) Admittedly, the child whose lack of knowledge inspired the question is younger than the ones you teach.

But still, combine youthful obliviousness, with why are you asking history questions in math class, I'm not sure it's suprising.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 AM

I don't get it. Maybe I'm just wired differently but I loved history (still do!). And apparently its rubbed off on my son.

At our annual Boy Scout Troop Holiday Party Monday night, one of the fathers came up with a trivia list of about 30 questions and those Scouts who got a question correct got a prize (nerf footballs, playing cards, etc.).

One of the questions he asked was, "Who are the only two U.S. President's that were impeached?"
Hands shot up.
"Nixon and... uh... Washington?" was the first answer. Wrongo.
Immediately all but a few hands disappeared, "One of the Roosevelts?" was the next try.
Finally, after a few more attempts, my son was called upon.
"Andrew Jackson and Bill Clinton."
I couldn't have been more proud. On our drive home I told him so and asked him where he learned that factoid. He said he knows a lot of that stuff from all of my "blathering." That's the word he used -- blathering.
Then he said he thought that if he had gotten it wrong he knew he'd have had to listen to me tell the whole story about how Johnson escaped the wrath of the Democrats by 1 vote and that he didn't want to here that story again.

Smart kid he. Maybe today I'll regale him about how McClellan and Army of the Potomic's inactivity doomed the Peninsula Campaign to failure.

eah, I'll give him blather...
Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancidYakButterTeaParty
Question #2:

"What was the first permanent settlement in the U.S.?"

Answer #1: Plymouth Rock
Answer #2: The Pilgrims--seriously.
Answer #3: Jamestown!
A rather Anglocentric viewpoint -- even if you discount the fact that there were probably several long-established communities founded by various Indian tribes, I'd have to say that St. Augustine is a better candidate than Jamestown.

ETA: ChiefScott, you may wish to edit your reply -- specifically the "Andrew Jackson" reference (though you did correctly identify the impeached 19th-century president as "Johnson" later in your post).

Last edited by Sternvogel; 12-19-2007 at 10:17 AM..
Old 12-19-2007, 10:21 AM

How in the Hell could I have proofread my post and let that slip through?!! And it's too late to edit... damn.

Though my son oughta get a giggle out of that tonight...

Last edited by ChiefScott; 12-19-2007 at 10:22 AM..
Old 12-19-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka
Maybe.

But still, combine youthful obliviousness, with why are you asking history questions in math class, I'm not sure it's suprising.
Not always history. Sometimes Science, sometimes Geography, and so on. I want them to see that I value knowledge in general, not just mathematical knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stervogel
A rather Anglocentric viewpoint -- even if you discount the fact that there were probably several long-established communities founded by various Indian tribes, I'd have to say that St. Augustine is a better candidate than Jamestown.
I should have included in my question that I asked specifically for an English settlement.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefScott
...Finally, after a few more attempts, my son was called upon.
I couldn't have been more proud. On our drive home I told him so and asked him where he learned that factoid. He said he knows a lot of that stuff from all of my "blathering." That's the word he used -- blathering.
Then he said he thought that if he had gotten it wrong he knew he'd have had to listen to me tell the whole story about how Johnson escaped the wrath of the Democrats by 1 vote and that he didn't want to here that story again.

Smart kid he. Maybe today I'll regale him about how McClellan and Army of the Potomic's inactivity doomed the Peninsula Campaign to failure.

Here, here!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
How in the Hell could I have proofread my post and let that slip through?!!
You also let it slip through that Johnson "escaped the wrath of Democrats", when it was actually Republicans.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy the Pig
You also let it slip through that Johnson "escaped the wrath of Democrats", when it was actually Republicans.

I thought it was "grapes" that had the wrath...
Old 12-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAKMOTSD
I thought it was "grapes" that had the wrath...
No, no. The grapes of wrath were stored.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
"Everyone knows that George Washington was our first president, but who knows our second president?"
Silly kids! They should've known that "nobody in this classroom" was the correct answer.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
When I'm done reviewing for a math test, I like to spend about 4-5 minutes asking some "bonus" questions from another subject. I teach 6th grade at an "excellent rated" school district.

Last question: (Disclaimer--The school I teach at is in a small town about 12 miles away from Lancaster, OH--the birthplace of William Sherman.)

"What general lead a famous march through the South and to the sea during the Civil War, burning most of what was in his path?"

Maybe you should ask them to conjugate the verb "to lead"?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile Dialect
Silly kids! They should've known that "nobody in this classroom" was the correct answer.
Nitpicky, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdwarning
Maybe you should ask them to conjugate the verb "to lead"?
Damn! Thank you for leding me to the correct version.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz
Here, here!
Where, where?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not always history. Sometimes Science, sometimes Geography, and so on. I want them to see that I value knowledge in general, not just mathematical knowledge.
That's fair, and a point of view I admire in principle. But in practice, people compartmentalize, and kids especially compartmentalize. So it's not impossible that the same set of kids asked the same questions or similar ones would have come up with different answers under other circumstnaces. It's possible that the different answers would not be better ones but sometimes even intelligent people don't come up with the right answers to questions immediately.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
My kids will be glad to hear of other kids out there who are similarly tormented.

Re: question 2 in the OP, What is St. Augustine Alec?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka
That's fair, and a point of view I admire in principle. But in practice, people compartmentalize, and kids especially compartmentalize. So it's not impossible that the same set of kids asked the same questions or similar ones would have come up with different answers under other circumstnaces. It's possible that the different answers would not be better ones but sometimes even intelligent people don't come up with the right answers to questions immediately.
A point well made, and taken. Sounds like it's time for to conduct some research along with the Social Studies teacher.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I had a math teacher in HS that did this, and I hated it. Actually, he was a bit worse. His extra credit questions were about fishing and football. Background - I'm very good at math and only so-so at memorizing history facts (or any memorization). It would bug the hell out of me if I knew that another student was getting a better score in a math class, because they knew history, when I didn't get a better score in history because I loved math.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastes of Chocolate
I had a math teacher in HS that did this, and I hated it. Actually, he was a bit worse. His extra credit questions were about fishing and football. Background - I'm very good at math and only so-so at memorizing history facts (or any memorization). It would bug the hell out of me if I knew that another student was getting a better score in a math class, because they knew history, when I didn't get a better score in history because I loved math.
These weren't actual bonus test questions, just questions I asked at the end of the review game. I mentioned that in the OP. We only have these review games about twice a month, and as I said--I only ask the questions for about the last 5 minutes of the game.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:07 AM

I need to know, tho - you were asking for St. Augustine, right?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale
I need to know, tho - you were asking for St. Augustine, right?
Posted this earlier.

Quote:

I should have included in my question that I asked specifically for an English settlement.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Because England is more important than Spain, or Virginia is more important than Florida? What was the first permanent French settlement in the U.S.? How about the Dutch? It seems odd to me to put more importance on English settlements.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
And that you were looking for a settlement in what later became the United States?
Old 12-21-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I don't get it. Maybe I'm just wired differently but I loved history (still do!). And apparently its rubbed off on my son.

At our annual Boy Scout Troop Holiday Party Monday night, one of the fathers came up with a trivia list of about 30 questions and those Scouts who got a question correct got a prize (nerf footballs, playing cards, etc.).

One of the questions he asked was, "Who are the only two U.S. President's that were impeached?"
Hands shot up.
"Nixon and... uh... Washington?" was the first answer. Wrongo.
Immediately all but a few hands disappeared, "One of the Roosevelts?" was the next try.
Finally, after a few more attempts, my son was called upon.

Sad story: Last year, at my wife's school (she teacher middle school) they had a trivia game during a staff development day. One of the questions was "how many presidents have been impeached?" The official answer--developed by a team of educators--was 3; they included Nixon. My wife (a music teacher), argued her team into the correct answer (then successfully argued with the answer givers). The scariest part is that one of her team members agreed with her about the number, but thought that the two were Johnson and Nixon, because "Clinton wasn't removed from office." The man is a social studies teacher.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:47 PM

Hrm. Can someone fight my ignorance? I didn't think Clinton was actually impeached. If he wasn't removed from office, what was the point?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile Dialect
Hrm. Can someone fight my ignorance? I didn't think Clinton was actually impeached. If he wasn't removed from office, what was the point?
Impeachment is putting someone on trial. Conviction of an impeachment leads to removal from office.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 PM

I thought Nixon was put on trial. Or was that just a congressional hearing?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 PM

Impeachment and Senate trial respectively are analogous to grand jury indictment for a felony and superior court trial. You can't have the second without the first preceding it, but having gotten the first in place does not guarantee a conviction in the second.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:21 PM

Ah, OK. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth
Because England is more important than Spain, or Virginia is more important than Florida? What was the first permanent French settlement in the U.S.? How about the Dutch? It seems odd to me to put more importance on English settlements.
It's just a question man, relax. I don't think the fact that I asked the question that way put any more importance on the English settlements at all--it's just the question that came to mind at the time.

I find it interesting that the point of my thread has pretty much been ignored while most of you that have responded have taken instead to questioning everything from my motives, to the answers, and the questions themselves. I apologize for the grammatical errors I made when I posted--but I'm pretty sure that most of you understood what I was attempting to start a discussion about.

As I said before, I'm trying to show these students that it's good to have knowledge in all areas. If I can get even one of these kids to become more interested in history or social studies so they can score "bonus" points for their review team at the end of my class twice a month--then I consider it to be well worth the time.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

FWIW, RYBTP, the sixth grade me would've LOVED the idea of being in a math class and having that kind of a "quiz". I would have thought you were my kind of teacher. And actually I did have a handful of teachers through the years that did that kind of stuff, and I have fond memories of that.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Most people who had my 7th grade history teacher probably would have been able to answer that...she made us all learn to sing the presidents in order to the tune of Yankee Doodle Dandy. Seventeen years later, I can still do it. (Although my song doesn't end quite right, as it only goes to Bush Sr., who was president when I was in 7th grade. Fortunately, I can remember the presidents since then all by myself.)

It really impresses at parties.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malacandra
Where, where?
"...Finally, after a few more attempts, my son was called upon.
Then he said he thought that if he had gotten it wrong he knew he'd have had to listen to me tell the whole story about how Johnson escaped the wrath of the Democrats by 1 vote and that he didn't want to here that story again...."

Originally posted by Ignatz: Here, here!