What are you Re-Reading?

There are a lot of what are you reading threads here and there at the moment, but I’m not sure if there’s a what are you re-reading thread. So here is one in case there isn’t one. And if there is one, now there’s another one. Which is this. So there.
I’m re-reading The Truth (Discworld). The odd thing is that when I first picked this book up I found it hard to get through. It didn’t grab me at all.

I began it. Got part of the way into it. Read a lot of other books. And months later picked it up and laboured through it (ended up enjoying it)

Some months later I re-read it and sailed through it, enjoying every bit.

Now I’m re-reading it for the third time and finding it even more fun… I think it’s the whole establishment of city services/‘things’ that makes it interesting for me… [myspoiler]repapswen ytic eht fo tnemhsilbatse eht tuoba gnieb eno sihT[/myspoiler] having now read Going Postal and Making money which are also in this vein.

I have re-read NightWatch, Theif of Time (The first one I ever read - from which I got my dopername), Thud. I’ll probably re-read all the other ones I’ve got…

Starting with Monstrous Regiment

<Goes rooting through book piles>

The entire Wheel of Time series, though I’m only on the Dragon Reborn right now, after reading Elantris by the guy they’ve hired to finish A Memory of Light. I’ve read the whole series so far like 4 times. I love it.

I’m reading The Giver to my son. Fortunately it’s been long enough since I read it that I’m able to enjoy it all over again.

I like to re-read stuff, but there’s so much new stuff, I never have time! I thought it would be a good idea to do my re-reading by audiobook in the car. So I’m listening to King’s Dark Tower series, which is performed by two of my favorite readers. I’m almost done hearing George Guidall read The Gunslinger, and next up will be Frank Muller reading The Drawing of The Three. I’m looking forward to comparing their interpretations.

I am currently rereading Gone with the Wind. The movie came on TCM fairly late at night last week and I fell asleep when Melanie was having the baby. It gave me the itch to read it again.

I am also getting the urge to read Emma. So, that’s next on the reread list.

All this talk of rereading reminds me that after 20 something years of good service the middle fell out of my copy of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy last month. I need to get another ASAP.

I’m currently re-reading Movies in Fifteen Minutes by Cleolinda Jones. I felt the need to laugh, and that one always works.

I just re-read The First Duelist in preparation for getting the next one Legend of the Duelist via PaperBack Swap. I’m also re-reading the first two books in The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. The third book Courageous just came out. I liked the series enough that going back to re-read them is a pleasure.

Just finished re-reading the Baroque Cycle. Very entertaining.

I’m re-reading The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson. I enjoyed it before, but I think I’ll get more out of it this time, now I know how it’s structured…
Also re-reading The Celestial Steam Locomotive by Michael Coney. Don’t know if I’ll finish it this time around, but I enjoy the writing.

I re-read all of Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series last summer.

Right now I’m reading a new collection of short fiction by Connie Willis, most of which I’ve read before.

I’m also slowly making my way through a second pass of Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin series.

I’m about to re-read Armadillo by William Boyd.
A book that changed my life ten years ago, I then lost my copy and only recently replaced it.

having spent the holidays at Paris, I’m re-reading Is Paris Burning?, the account of the liberation of Paris and saving it from Hitler’s fanatic urge to destroy it. Very scary to think that if he had had his way, one of the most beautiful cities in the world would have been reduced to rubble. (And I always choke up at the point where two guys are racing up the Eiffel Tower to be the first to put the Tricolour back up.)

I’m re-listening, does that count? (That is, listening to audiobooks I’ve previously read). In the last few months:

A Christmas Carol
Persuasion, Northanger Abbey, Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice
Listening Woman and Coyote Waits, Tony Hillerman
A Soldier of the Great War , Mark Helprin (spanking new audiobook release!)

The Haunting of Hill House, Shirley Jackson (this one I read read).

Count Zero by William Gibson.

I had a craving for pulpy cyberpunk before punishing my brain with Volume 2 of the Baroque Cycle, and it’s definitely doing a good job of scratching that itch (Snow Crash would’ve been better, but my copy seems to have mysteriously vanished during the last move).

I just came in to mention this. I petered out after the first book last time, but will finish the whole trilogy this time. Please tell me it’s worth it!

I just finished re-reading The Hobbit yesterday. My mom sent me Children of Hurin after she had read it, and reading that put me on a kick to re-read the Silmarillion, then the LotR trilogy, and finally The Hobbit.

Boy, that thing’s a lot darker and bloodier than I remember. And the motivations of the various parties, frankly, are MUCH more complex than the simple good-vs-evil of LotR. The lead-up to the Battle of Five Armies is long and nuanced. You lose that in the Rankin-Bass version. :wink:

Kathy Reichs’ Cross Bones.

Well, in my opinion it is worth it in spades.

To me at least the hard part was getting through the first part of the first book - as you jump in, as it were, in the middle of the plot, and it makes no particular sense until you read further.

This series has single handedly raised that particular period of time from “least interesting” to “most interesting” in my mind - it makes a good case for the baroque period being the very cusp of modernity, in a lot of ways - the “system of the world” as in the title of the last book. As well as being an entertaining romp that literally spans the whole world.

I’m about halfway through re-reading “System of the World”. When I’m done with the Baroque Cycle I think I need to go back and re-read “Cryptonomicon” (which I’ve already read twice).

yanceylebeef, it’s definitely worth sticking with it. I also had trouble getting through “Quicksilver” the first time. My biggest problem was trying to keep all the characters straight, especially when Stephenson will refer to them by name in one sentence and their title in the next. He doesn’t seem to do that so much later on.

A real estate ad I’d like to see:

If it was in my neighborhood you’d have to add:

Act fast, foreclosure looming. Short sale possible, contact lender for details. Buyer to provide inspection (Seller’s Disclosure Unknown). As is condition. Smokin’ buy.