Ask the guy that had LASIK 24 hours ago.

Some basics.

47 years old.

I’ve been wearing corrective lenses for 40 years.

Had 20-400 vision and was to the point of needing reading glasses too.

I’ll still need reading glasses, but won’t have to mess with contacts too.

Just got back from my first post-op check up and I am at about 20-30. There is a good likelihood that my vision will improve over the next few hours or up to a week. Having just had surgery on my eyes, I see that as pretty promising.

I had to have ‘bandage’ contacts put in because I jumped a little bit during the procedure. It’s not uncommon. The contacts help ensure that the flap created heals properly. Those contacts have since been removed, and my vision is really doing great.

After the surgery, I had a little discomfort. About like wearing old, or dirty contacts. That only lasted a few hours. Today, 24hours later, My eyes feel great.

If anyone is interested I’d be glad to answer questions. I am supposed to take it a little easy today, but reading and such is OK. I could also give good info on the whole procedure as it is fresh, and follow ups on the results.

How many fingers am I holding up?

Has your close-up vision become worse?

I was just thinking about starting a thread to ask questions about Lasik.

It is nice to hear from someone in the same age range as I am (40s). My So had it done years ago and loves it, but his big complaint is that he had to get reading glasses after - but I think he was just at the point of needing them despite having the Lasik done.

How much $$?

How’s your night vision?

How many total appointments (including follow up) are needed?

Did it smell?

I thought of another q - how do you find a good Lasik surgeon?

The price?

Any help with cost from insurance?

What do you think of Dells tech support?

Did they give you the whole shpiel about " don’t move or else! "

Question from OneCentStamp, LASIK guy: Are you using your artificial tears regularly? Staying hydrated is the key to staying comfortable, not to mention healing properly.

:smiley:

The two main questions I had have already been asked: what was the price and did vision insurance pay for any of it. I am in my 20’s and have been considering lasik surgery for a while now. I have pretty bad vision, I don’t know the 20/whatever, but my contact prescription says -5.75, which I think is pretty strong. When I have no contacts in, everything is just blurs of color.

Do you have to take so many days off from work? Is it something you had to take vacation/sick time for?

Uh oh, maybe he can’t see the computer any more. We’re over here!

I thought this guy was going to answer our questions. :dubious:

I’ll butt in on this one (in addition to being a LASIK patient myself (July 2007), I work for an ophthalmonogy practice). LASIK is an outpatient procedure and the vast majority of patients are able to return to normal activities, including work, the next day.

If he doesn’t come back to this thread soon, I’ll guess the answer to be one. :wink:
Question for the OP, did you dislike wearing glasses or contacts?

Can you read this?

Looks like one.

The reason that I went this route is because I was needing reading glasses any way. I bought a few pairs of cheep reading glasses for reading in bed or computer work that I would have to wear with my contacts. BUT, I don’t wear my contacts to bed. I would put on regular glasses (not reading glasses) and it became hard to read.

So. I would take out my contacks to go to bed, and could no longer read with my reagular glasses because you can’t really put reading glasses on top of regular glasses. It was becoming a real pain in the ass

$3000 US. $2000 went to the LASIK clinic, and $1000 to my regular eye doc.

Well it’s just about 30 hours since I had the surgery done. So it’s a bit hard to say.

Don’t know about night vision yet. But understand it can be a problem with halos. From what I undertand the new systems are taking care of that by adjusting the cornea wider. The problem with night vision is that when the pupil opens, it may be bigger than the adjusted cornea. I think that’s been fixed. I’ll find out.

Total appointments. Good question. I went to my regular eye doc and said that I was thinking about LASIK. He turned me on to the Dishler eye clinic 100 miles away. There is pre op post op and 3 or four more post op visits all covered in the $3000. My eyes where checked 3 times before they would do it. Most of the pre-op and post op can be done by my local doctor.

They where through.

Here’s how it went.

1. Went to my local optomitrist needing contacts and told him I was interested in LASIK too. He checked me out and said that I was probably a good cadidate for it. He recommended a clinic.

2. Two months later, I went to the LASIK clinic to see what they say. They also did tests (easy) and agreed that I was a good canidate. I scheduled a date to have it done. I would have to also see my local eye doc within a week before the surgery to make sure everything was still OK.

3. Saw my local eye doc a week before. Had my contacts out for a month. Everything still looked good.

4. Went to the LASIK clinic. Another optomitrist tested my eyes (again easy) to triple check readings. All looked good. I was there for for about 2.5 hours. I came in, I paid, I saw a nurse and was givin a valium (really unnessesary), waited a bit here and there and then I could see. Good folks all around.

5. Today, I went to my local eye doctor to check things out. Everything looks great. I will go back to him in a week, then a month and I think 6 months.

All covered by the initial $3000.

Insurance did not cover it.

Thanks for the answers. My SOs insurance didn’t cover anything either. What about those places that advertise $299/eye? No good?

Darn…

I asked my optometrist.