I want to win a million dollars, what should I play?

I don’t need 100 million, or even 10. I’d be quite content just winning 1 million dollars, which I could safely invest somewhere and get a nice boost to my annual income for the rest of my life on.
So what’s the best lottery for that (I like in New Jersey). Do I play something like Mega Millions, and hope for the 2nd prize? Or play some lottery specifically oriented towards 1 million dollars?
Help :slight_smile:

You don’t play any lottery. Lotteries are just taxes for people who can’t do math or comprehend odds.

Instead, invest wisely and save. This won’t win you a million dollars, but will get it if you want it that much.

It’s essentially impossible to win a million dollars.

You could go on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? and win.

That’s just silly.
I understand the odds are terrible, but ‘essentially impossible’ is a bit of a stretch. Saying I can create a black-hole in my ass if I squeeze hard enough is essentially impossible, saying it’s impossible to get a prize that dozens of people do daily is silly.

Once more, I understand that I most likely won’t be winning a million dollars, but my odds of winning by buying 1 lottery ticket is roughly infinity times higher than by buying 0 lottery tickets. And somehow, spending $1 a week doesn’t sound like the worst tax I’ll be enduring come this April.

Nonetheless, just because I most likely won’t win doesn’t mean I should just blindly pick a lottery. If one lottery offers me 2x better odds than another one for the same prize, even if it’s a very low set of odds, 2x is better.

And if anyone let me on ‘Who wants to be a millionaire’, thatd be just lovely. Not because I have any silly notion of walking away with a million dollars, but because the questions up until like $16,000 are brain-dead easy, so after using my life-lines I could easily walk away with like $25-$50,000 or whatever the increments are, and be quite happy for the day.

What’s your starting pot to bet with? I’ll send you my guide to winning $1 million, absolutely free, plus $19.95 shipping & handling.

Poker.

Not looking to do anything but buy a ticket. Poker takes a lot more involvement, a lot more time, and usually a lot more money.

Rough calculations show that a very high stakes Blackjack table may be the way to go. Get yourself to a high stakes gambling room, plunk down a $10,000 initial bet and then double your bets no matter what. The odds of making it until you pass $1,000,000 are roughly 1 in 260 which is better than any lottery I know of.

Roulette is better than that, assuming the $10,000.

Taking a single number, Then a column(or vice-versa) will give you $1,150,000 at only around 1 in 80 odds.

That just doesn’t feel right, I must have screwed my math up again.

Aha found my screw-up. 1 in 120 not 1 in 80

I agree but you just need $5 (min bet usually) and bet on black or red , over and over and over, but you have to be reeeeal lucky.

Are you psychic? I mean, for real. Or can you bend spoons or something, but for real? If so, I think I know where you can walk it.

The problem is what happens to your legs when you lose.

I think you were closer the first time. I’m getting 1 in 83.

Yes, that’s the secret to success in the stock market: wanting it that much! The return on your investment is directly proportional to how much you want it.

Clearly untrue.

People win over $1 million every week somewhere in America in various lotteries. The odds against any particular person winning are astronomical, but it is not “essentially impossible to win a million dollars.”

There ought to be a Website calculating the odds.

Alot of Lotterys these days have these Million Dollar raffles where (in MD) you pay $20 and 6 guys win a Million dollars. Usually these are traditional raffles (where a certain number of tickets are sold and the winners chosen from among the pool buying tickets) offering dramatically better odds than anything in a traditional lottery - like 100’s of thousands (rather than 10’s of millions) to one against.

The cite seems to imply your odds of winning a million dollars with a $20 bet at Baccarat are overwhelmingly better than winning the lottery. YMMV :slight_smile:

BTW Powerball and Megamillions 2nd prize is no were near a million dollars (200K and 250K respectively) although you can pay 5X more for your Powerball ticket and supercharge it and receive extra if you pull a second place

My post was just silly? You wanted lottery advice.

I’m not saying winning the lottery is impossible, just that only dozens and dozens have done it(as you said). Dozens is nothing. Many millions play. Nearly all lose.

It is essentially impossible.

This is the General Question forum, right?

By the way, I do agree with other posters that Who Wants to be a Millionaire and other game shows are the best possible instant route. I merely focused on the lottery based on the OP.

CA has a game once in a while where you buy a 20 ticket which gives you 5 shots at a Million . They claim it is the best odds of winning that million.

“I’d like to exchange my phone a friend lifeline for a 'post on the Straight Dope Message Board” lifeline" :smiley: