Please recommend some comedic novels

My wife just finished reading a bunch of Dennis Lehane novels, and is just about finishing up “The Kite Runner.” She liked them all, but for her next book, she says she doesn’t want to read about anyone dying or getting abused. She’s specifically looking for something that will make her laugh. I’m not much of a reader, so I thought I’d ask for some suggestions.

A few restrictions – she dislikes fantasy and science fiction. So Douglas Adams, for example, is out. Also, she’s interested in novels rather than collections of short stories, articles, etc.

Thanks!

If she isn’t afraid of catching teh gay, anything by Robert Rodi.

Kinky Friedman’s mysteries.

Comedic columnist Dave Barry has written two novels: Tricky Business and Big Trouble. Obviously, it helps that I normally find him highly amusing anyway, but both of these books had spots where I was laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe!

Your friend could do much worse than P.G. Wodehouse, in particular the Jeeves & Wooster novels, in more particular still (IMHO) The Code of the Woosters (others on this board may recommend other Jeeves & Wooster novels or even Wodehouse novels featuring characters other than Jeeves & Wooster, and they are quite welcome to do so).

Under the Net by Iris Murdoch

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis. It’s a little sexist, but if she can get by that it’s pretty damn funny.

Most of these are comic crime/thriller/mystery novels, but I recommend them highly.

Graham Greene’s Our Man in Havana
Donald E. Westlake’s Dortmunder novels
Thomas Perry’s Island and Metzger’s Dog
Ross Thomas’ Chinaman’s Chance and others
Keith Snyder’s Coffin’s Got the Dead Guy Inside
Just about any Carl Hiassen

Tim Dorsey. Serge Storms is the funniest serial killer ever.

The Straight Man by Richard Russo and A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson both had me Laughing Out Loud. In Public.

Dave Barry’s already been mentioned, but I’d like to point out that he has several books that aren’t collections of his short pieces (although they aren’t novels, either). Dave Barry Does Japan, for instance, is hilarious.

I’d recommemnd Christopher Moore’s work, but there’s an element of fantasy in each of them, even in Island of the Sequined Love Nun. But I recommend them highly

Funny, but I’m a big fan of Russo, and Straight Man is my least fave of his books. (Well, not LOL.IP funny…) :wink:

I second this recommendation. Wodehouse is my favorite author, and I think most anyone would agree that his Jeeves and Wooster novels are generally his best. My favorite (right now) is The Mating Season.

Sarah Caudwell’s mystery novels are also very funny.

I third this. I was listening to an audiobook of The Code of the Woosters at the gym, and had to get off the Stairmaster, I was laughing so hard! The whole tone of the novels are so light and frothy too, it would be excellent after the other novels that you mention.

Christopher Buckley’s stuff is great (humorous takes on DC):

Thank You for Smoking
Little Green Men

This is my favorite laugh-out-loud read.

e by Matthew Beaumont. It’s a year in the life of a London advertising agency through emails of it’s employees.

I love Christopher Moore’s books. My all time favorite is Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal

Jasper Fforde. Start with “The Eyre Affair.”

I was going to suggest “Good Omens” by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, but if she doesn’t like fantasy, that probably won’t work. Still, it’s one of the funniest things I’ve ever read.

If she likes British-style humo(u)r, I heartily recommend “The Gun Seller” by Hugh Laurie (yes, Dr. House). It’s a spy novel written in a very droll, comedic style.

The Other Schulman by Alan Zweibel, one of the original writers for SNL and creator of Roseanne Roseannadanna & Emily Litella.