The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Great Debates

Old 01-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Is women's figure skating... umm... crotch-oriented?

Just a superficial impression on my part, but apparently the ideal pose for woman figure skaters is one leg on the ice and the other 180 apart straight up in the air. And of course they always wear skirts, panties and hose rather than pants or tights. If this a "well, DUH!" observation, than I guess my question is why no one has commented on it, negatively or otherwise.
Advertisements  
Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 AM

I'm sure there are some afficionados who wil come in and deny it, but I get that exact same impression.

It doesn't help that it's blatantly sexist. Or something-ist anyway. Notice how the winners are all pretty young women. Who've never had sex and who aren't married. And who often look prebuscent no matter how old they are. It's almost as bad as women's gymnastics.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit
Who've never had sex...
I'm pretty sure this isn't the case, or even the assumption of the sport's fans.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

I didn't realise the costumes were tight enough to be able to see that much detail.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I'm sure there are some afficionados who wil come in and deny it, but I get that exact same impression.

It doesn't help that it's blatantly sexist. Or something-ist anyway. Notice how the winners are all pretty young women. Who've never had sex and who aren't married. And who often look prebuscent no matter how old they are. It's almost as bad as women's gymnastics.
Hey, that's not fair; plenty of gymnasts are not pretty young woman.

Skating does seem to run to good looks and they mostly develop ballerina type bodies, but there are some exceptionally athletic ones.

Somewhere along the way, I lost interest in this "Sport" as the US coverage shifted from Wide World of Sports coverage to every athlete has a story coverage. I use to watch a lot of figure skating. I don't think it was all that crotch oriented, but it was about grace. It was a very arbitrary sport at times with the awarding of scores.

Some of the skaters were stunningly good looking and others like Nancy Kerrigan were very pleasant Girls Next Store athletes good looking.

They seem to be getting younger in the last 10+ years. It might just be that I am getting older. Didn't Tara Lupinski go to the Olympics at only 14?

Jim
Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout
I didn't realise the costumes were tight enough to be able to see that much detail.
Watch it in high def.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Me neither.

::makes note to watch next series of Dancing on Ice::

Last edited by chowder; 01-28-2008 at 11:12 AM..
Old 01-28-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic
Watch it in high def.
I was sitting on the HD fence until now. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:31 AM

It's not as bad as Beach Volleyball, where the official regulations insist the women wear skimpy costumes.
Figure skating includes artistic elements, so there is a reason to have such costumes, but volleyball scoring is pure sport. Of course they get bigger crowds with the music and all...
Old 01-28-2008, 11:36 AM

You do realize that most of what you see is flesh-colored fabric, and not bare skin?

Last edited by scr4; 01-28-2008 at 11:37 AM..
Old 01-28-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Watch it in high def.
You just sold more high def TVs than the Super Bowl.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

March 1, 1988, The Catalyst student newspaper of the College at Old Westbury, State University of New York. (me writing).

Perfect Ten?

Did you hear? American Olympic skater hopeful Debi Thomas' bench personnel have complained that East German front-runner Katarina Witt is impressing judges with something besides skill and talent!

Anyone out there remember an Olympic figure skater named Dorothy Hamill? It wasn't all that long ago that her picture appeared on magazine covers and in the sports section of American newspapers, tantalizing us and advertising our ice medal hopes.

I recall the caption that appeared under one such photo when it ran in the Albuquerque Journal (I happened to have been living in New Mexico at the time)...and it included the observation that "Ms. Hamill is short, only 5'1", which has the effect of emphasizing her feminine contours...her outfit is tailored to accentuate this to make for a 'pretty' appearance on the ice, which plays a role in the delivery of women's figure skating performances". Or something like that (I don't happen to have it with me, but that's the gist of it).

The Problem

I've been a would-be fan of women's college basketball ever since Nancy Lieberman hit the Old Dominion courts. I say would-be because it's hard to be a fan if you can't follow the games, and they aren't televised except on rare occasion...maybe because the sport of Pam and Paula McGee (USC), Janet Harris (Georgia), or Kim Mulkey (one-time great from Louisiana Tech) doesn't often lend itself to drool-producing photos?

The beauty-contest aspect of certain women's sports is not always so openly admitted. In our age, largely thanks to the women's movement of the last fifteen years, many people have learned to speak of women's skills and performance, control and grace and power, whether on the ice, over the balance beam, or on the tennis courts; to be drooling at the typewriter about a female athlete's curves and contours just isn't as socially acceptable as it once would have been.

But much of the change has been on the surface only: the sportscaster and sportswriter may speak of slashing backhands, but the illustrative photo always seems to focus in on those short tennis skirts...and, while I loved watching Mary Lou Retton vault her way to perfect scores as much as anyone did (I caught an early glimpse of her in preliminaries and was rooting for her all along), I also noted that most of those photos of her that were turning up everywhere you looked showed her, not in limber mid-leap, but smiling pixie smiles and doing wonders for the retail sales of red- white-and-blue Danskins suits.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying it's sexist to enjoy watching athletes because you think they're hot-looking or cute. But beauty shouldn't be the basis for competition. Every beauty contest, whether it's Miss America or Miss Black and Gold, perpetuates a beauty-as-the- contest mentality when it comes to women's competition.

Debi Thomas: Victim of Sexism?

Well, the matter's in the news again, folks, and for once there's displeasure to be heard...maybe because this time Miss Cute Body On The Ice isn't on Our Side?? So, Debi Thomas's coach accuses the Olympic judges of giving competitor Katerina Witt higher marks because she's sexier...I'm afraid it's been a long time in coming and isn't going to be resolved overnight. If we are going to take the Miss Beauty Contest aspects of women's figure skating out of the picture (and women's athletics suffers until that occurs), we are first going to have to reconsider exactly what it is that we're rating when they glide out onto the ice. It may be necessary to ask the question, "Why is women's figure skating oriented and evaluated according to different criteria than men's figure skating?" Despite the genuine talent of Debi Thomas, Katarina Witt (incidentally, she and Thomas are long-term rivals and have crossed blades before) Dorothy Hamill, and Peggy Fleming before that, it may be necessary to ask whether or not we haven't been crowning a Miss Olympics every olympiad all along.

Me, I'm thinking it's high time some attention was paid to the serious female competitors who don't look like they walked off of Atlantic City stage boards. I;m looking forward to following the career of one of America's best, Karin Marshall, who is going to do wonderful things for women's world-class lifting. I've seen her in the prelims against international competition. She scowls formidably as she comes out for her lift, already hoisting it in her mind, almost radiating hatred for the weight she's determined to bear over her head. Then, quick and mighty, (the bar bending like a licorice stick as she moves), swoop! She steadies, knows it's hers, and breaks into happy triumphant smile. After setting the weight down with a controlled release, she gives her victory leap into the air. When I saw her, she did a lot of lifting and a lot of leaping.

I hope to be able to watch her perform now and then. It sort of depends on whether or not her sport gets any media attention. Maybe if she put on a short skirt or a sexier leotard?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:43 AM

If you take sex out of the equation, why would anyone watch women's sports? There are mens DIII schools that have better basketball teams than the best WNBA team. How often are they on TV?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4
You do realize that most of what you see is flesh-colored fabric, and not bare skin?
We're not talking about the bare-legs illusion, we're talking about something else. Why do you think they call it a "camel spin?"
Old 01-28-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
We're not talking about the bare-legs illusion, we're talking about something else. Why do you think they call it a "camel spin?"
Well, the OP did talk about skaters wearing "skirts, panties and hose rather than pants or tights"...

Anyway I don't really see any emphasis on crotch. Just a display of body posture accentuated by their arms and legs.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:58 AM
of the Gladiators

Quote:
Still, for some reason, the people who run figure skating have gotten all crabby about the crotch. In fact at the beginning of this season the International Skating Union (ISU) instructed its pairs skating and ice dancing judges to deduct points for "undignified" movements. Mostly they are worried about too many, well, crotch shots.

"It really was getting disgusting," says ISU championships dance judge Charlie Cyr. "Seems like every performance, the judges kept having all these crotches shoved in our faces. It was getting gross. Or a woman would jump up on a man's shoulders, wrap her legs around his neck, lie back with her crotch right in his face and then rise again, smiling. I mean, hello? We're supposed to think that's elegant?"
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ins...ife_of_reilly/

and note the inelegant circumlocution of the camel in the room here:

Quote:
Apparently the crotch that broke figure skating's back happened last season in a Grand Prix Series event. One dance team executed a move in which he carried her upside down as she did splits, her crotch being the main focus for the assembled multitudes, while the music launched into (this is true) Nearer My God to Thee.
Id.

Last edited by Gfactor; 01-28-2008 at 12:05 PM..
Old 01-28-2008, 12:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
"It really was getting disgusting," says ISU championships dance judge Charlie Cyr. "Seems like every performance, the judges kept having all these crotches shoved in our faces. It was getting gross. Or a woman would jump up on a man's shoulders, wrap her legs around his neck, lie back with her crotch right in his face and then rise again, smiling. I mean, hello? We're supposed to think that's elegant?"
::fap::fap::fap::fap:::fap::
Old 01-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, they're young women because few older women have bodies that move that way. The same applies to men; the 18-year-old football player is likely quicker and more flexible, and has more stamina than the 40-year-old. They're pretty because they're supposed to be: hair is styled and makeup applied and all their training means they never had a chance to get out-of-shape. I have no idea if the ones you're seeing ever had sex or not; some of the ones I knew couldn't get enough, to be totally honest. And finally, they probably look pre-pubescent because their physical development has been delayed due to the daily training, although more research is being done in this area--see this abstract, and from the link:

Quote:
The increasing involvement of young children in intense physical training over the past several decades has generated concerns as to its potential effects on children's growth and maturation. Puberty in humans is characterized by large hormonal changes resulting in both physical and sexual maturation. Since intense training prior to puberty, together with the potential metabolic effects of dieting, can alter hypothalamic-pituitary function, the time at which athletic training is initiated has been implicated as a factor in delayed menarche and sexual maturation in female athletes....

It is concluded that, given the many factors that have been shown to influence menarche and menstruation, the role played by physical training alone as a causative factor in the later onset of puberty and menstrual irregularities in active young females is still unclear. Research involving longitudinally designed studies is required to identify whether the maturity differences observed between female athletes and non-athletes are the result of nature or nurture, and what the balance between the two factors is.
As for "short skirts, panties, and hose," it has to be said that it's really a leotard with a skirt sewn on--nothing different from the leotards that were worn in gyms and such for years, before women started working out in pants. IIRC, such outfits (one piece leotards with skirts) are mandated in the various figure skating rulebooks--it's been years since I last saw one, but I do recall very strict dress requirements about what could and could not be worn in competition. Pants were always forbidden.

One more thing I see on preview: the camel spin has been called that for years. I'm sure it was in use before the term "cameltoe" came to mean what it does colloquialy today.

So why the crotch shots? I dunno. Partly balance, I suppose--you're going to fall and fall hard unless you spread your legs to balance. Partly because it affords a certain level of difficulty--a spin is just a spin unless you can grab your foot and lift it over your head. Partly because of the laws of physics--you're not going to be able to do a certain move unless you spread your legs so your feet each are on an outside edge. I'm no expert, but I come from a figure skating family, and lived with this stuff for years. There really isn't anything sexual about it, regardless of the age of the skater--as with gymnasts, it's all about being able to move freely.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee
It's not as bad as Beach Volleyball, where the official regulations insist the women wear skimpy costumes.
Figure skating includes artistic elements, so there is a reason to have such costumes, but volleyball scoring is pure sport. Of course they get bigger crowds with the music and all...
And they get women defecting from the Court Volleyball routine. I read somewhere that a fair number of women who play Court Volleyball get fed up with the overly rigid coaches and confining rules, and the last thing they do before dropping out of the sport entirely is switch over to Beach Volleyball out of desperation. They're usually pretty happy with the much looser structure, so they stay in the sport. Defections from Beach Volleyball to Court Volleyball aren't anywheres near as common.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons
They're pretty because they're supposed to be: hair is styled and makeup applied...
That's all you needed to say in order to defeat your own argument, really.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:55 AM

For a view of the very dirty business that is women's gymnastics and figure skating, I recommend Little Girls in Pretty Boxes. Troubling, to say the least.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princhester
That's all you needed to say in order to defeat your own argument, really.
Nah, to defeat my own argument, I would have had to argue the necessity of sequins.

I don't think my argument is defeated though. The OP wondered why they were "pretty." I offered an answer, but perhaps I should go further. I won't speak to the makeup, but the hairdo is an entirely practical idea--too long or out of control, and it gets in the skater's way, in her eyes, in her mouth, etc. as she moves, and she can't always stop to push it out of the way. Even the soccer player's ponytail can be impractical for a figure skater. If the girl wants her hair long when she's not skating, some sort of hairdo that holds is necessary when she is. And if she uses a sequinned (damn! There's that word!) barrette to hold it; well, what of it? Of course, the girl could get her hair cut short (worked for Dorothy Hamill), but not all skaters want short hair when they're not at the rink.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

Pffft. You said styled and you meant it. Mrs P can put her hair where it won't be in the way while doing stuff without there being any danger of anyone using the word "styled" about it.

Last edited by Princhester; 01-29-2008 at 03:46 AM..
Old 01-29-2008, 09:15 AM

I think the whole business of figure-skating being a 'competition' is pretty silly. Why take something that's fundamentally a performance, and turn it into a fairly arbitrarily-scored competitive sport?

It makes as much sense to me has having the Decembrists compete against Snow Patrol in some competition to determine which is the better band.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:23 AM

like the synchronised swimming competition?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reilly/SI
Apparently the crotch that broke figure skating's back happened last season in a Grand Prix Series event. One dance team executed a move in which he carried her upside down as she did splits, her crotch being the main focus for the assembled multitudes, while the music launched into (this is true) Nearer My God to Thee.
Gfactor you forgot to quote the next line which puts this in context
Quote:
Boy, some people just don't appreciate art.

Last edited by Rick; 01-29-2008 at 09:33 AM..
Old 01-29-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
"French judges have traditionally preferred a smaller clitoris, so the lower score for the Brazilian couple isn't all that surprising."
Old 01-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

I think it's more butt than crotch. They're always skating backwards, presenting to the audience and judges a primal sexual offering.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelligently Designed
For a view of the very dirty business that is women's gymnastics and figure skating, I recommend Little Girls in Pretty Boxes. Troubling, to say the least.
Second this recommendation. Found it used last year and passed it on to an ex-gymnast I know. I still remember her going on Weight Watchers at 11 years old and 80 lbs.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:46 PM

Spoons, your quote about delayed menarche and development makes it sound like a dire problem, but if you take a look at the few remaining hunting and gathering groups around, and at the reports from scientists who study past societies, you'll find that menarche typically happens later than in agricultural societies, around age fourteen to sixteen. Meanwhile, industrial societies have been having earlier and earlier development, to the point where the average now is about 12 years old. Considering that people lived as hunters and gatherers for pretty much all of our history as modern humans, we've only lived as farmers for 10,000 years, and have only had the huge surpluses of food and low amounts of physical activity made possible by industrialization for less than two centuries, the fact that modern female athletes don't develop until 14 or so is not abnormal at all. If anything, it's more normal than a nine year old who is already capable of getting pregnant. We're just not used to that, is all.

(True story; I worked as the executive assistant to the director of an outreach program. There were several elementary school girls who were pregnant. The youngest one was 9, the boyfriend who knocked her up was twelve.)

A young athlete being enrolled in Weight Watchers, on the other hand, is ridiculous. If anything, they'll need more calories and higher levels of fat and protein than they'd get with a typical WW diet plan, or even on a normal, non-weight loss diet. When I was swimming and diving as a freshman in high school, I had a project in my biology class where we were supposed to track what we ate for two weeks. I found out that I was scarfing down over 3,000 calories a day! This is when I was still on the small side, at only 5'6" and about 145 lbs. I ate constantly and burned it all off. I was straight out of gymnastics so I was muscular for my size, which undoubtedly made a difference in my metabolic rate. I probably ate more than some of the football guys who had legs the size of my torso.

Some of the poses that seem to be saying, "hey, look at my crotch!" like the one where they raise one leg in front of them and hold it above their heads without using their hands are to demonstrate balance and control. I'd challenge you to try it and then tell me it's not an athletic move. I'm in darn good shape now, better than I've been since I stopped competing after my first year of college, and I still can't do that for more than a few seconds. Heck, I've barely got the flexibility to get my leg there in the first place, and I'm darn flexible for a guy. Besides balance and control, there are moves designed to showcase flexibility as well as spin ability, like the Biellmann spin.

The crotch shot is entirely incidental to showcasing skills. The costumes are derived from dance, which is why they're kind of fanciful. The tightness is necessary, considering the extreme range of motion they need. If anything got in the way, or bound up, or rode up on them during the routine, they'd have problems.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:10 PM

I had some skating event on the TV the other day and what got my eye was the girl's leotard that seemed to cover her skate. I thought that quite odd and creepy looking. The whole 180 deg flag pole thing also creeps me out. If there's camel toe involved it would make it even creepier.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver
I had some skating event on the TV the other day and what got my eye was the girl's leotard that seemed to cover her skate. I thought that quite odd and creepy looking. The whole 180 deg flag pole thing also creeps me out. If there's camel toe involved it would make it even creepier.

I've noticed that too. Its gross, looks like skin or something. As for the OP. Yeah I think its crotch oriented. The pose or whatever you call it in pairs skating where the girl is spread eagle over the guys head, his arms fully extended as are hers, and their hands meet in her crotch my eyes go straight to that area. Oh and the guys usually look like they are showcasing their package too extreem bulges and all.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fight
Second this recommendation. Found it used last year and passed it on to an ex-gymnast I know. I still remember her going on Weight Watchers at 11 years old and 80 lbs.
That's horrible.

Actually skating started out by making patterns on the ice. Hence the name figure skating.

The few women who competed generally competed in long skirts. You didn't see shorter skirts until Sonja Henie came along in the 1930's. She was able to get away with the shorter skirts because she was only 11 when she started competing. The shorter skirts showcased her legs and let judges see her spins and jumps more clearly.

What I think we're seeing is simply the result of the translation of ballet on to ice. Spins take their poses from traditional ballet moves like arabesques and attitudes. I'm not surprised by that. The Russians particularly have done a superb job in drawing on their balletic history and bringing it to the ice.

By contrast the Americans have traditionally prefered a more athletic style as exemplified by Dorothy Hamil and Nancy Kerrigan.

The real problem I have right now with figure skating isn't crouch shots. The real problem is age. The International Skating Union rules state that you have to be sixteen to compete at worlds. The first and second place finishers at this year's nationals were 14 and 15. They can't even qualify to compete.

Is it good policy to let kids who can't qualify for Worlds compete at Nationals? Are little girls hurting their bodies when they subject them to such pressures that young? Does the constant pounding on the ice when they jump lead to more serious physical problems later on in life?

Look at Kimmie Meissner. She was national champ last year and world champ the year before. Now she's 18. She lost her worlds title this year. She skated so badly she fell three times during her long program at nationals. What kind of sport is it where one is washed up at 18?

Those are questions that concern me more.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmean1975
Oh and the guys usually look like they are showcasing their package too extreem bulges and all.
I'm pretty sure they're wearing "atheltic supporters". Either that or figure skating really helps, y'know, down there. Which would seem to make Enzyte Bob and Viagra a little superfluous.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly
It makes as much sense to me has having the Decembrists compete against Snow Patrol in some competition to determine which is the better band.
Clearly a winter Olympics event.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee
But they're playing beach volleyball. Why is it ridiculous that they're required to wear bathing suits?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBlather
Clearly a winter Olympics event.
*applause*
Old 02-01-2008, 02:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Watch it in high def.
So, which TV manufacturer is going to come out with the slogan "So sharp, you can really see the cameltoe"
Old 02-01-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver
If you mean the flesh-coloured leggings that come down over the skates, IIRC, it's supposed to give the leg a longer look when it's extended.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy
Just a superficial impression on my part, but apparently the ideal pose for woman figure skaters is one leg on the ice and the other 180 apart straight up in the air. And of course they always wear skirts, panties and hose rather than pants or tights. If this a "well, DUH!" observation, than I guess my question is why no one has commented on it, negatively or otherwise.
I would say that western culture in general is absolutely obsessed with the female body, especially what are perceived as the more sexual aspects of the female body.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazil84
especially what are perceived as the more sexual aspects of the female body.
There are other aspects?

Well dagnabbit
Old 02-02-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder
There are other aspects?

Well dagnabbit
Hehe. Well, that's why I used the word "more." Certainly, just about the entire female body (feet, legs, arms, hands, neck, face, hands, back, midriff) has been sexualized. But there's still a top 3.

Ok, enough post-feminist deconstructionism.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I would say that western culture in general is absolutely obsessed with the female body ...
I'd say you're right. But it's interesting to note that (based on a television ratings breakdown from about 10 years ago) women's figure skating is the highest-rated Olympic event with women, who heavily outnumber the male viewers.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema
I'd say you're right. But it's interesting to note that (based on a television ratings breakdown from about 10 years ago) women's figure skating is the highest-rated Olympic event with women, who heavily outnumber the male viewers.
Sure, and women also buy up magazines like Vogue and Cosmo, which are full of pictures of women.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Sure, and women also buy up magazines like Vogue and Cosmo, which are full of pictures of women.
That, and the fact that most men would scoff at the notion of watching shapley women on ice in lieu of watching men fight on a mat or slam into each other on a field support my "Most People Are Secretly Gay" theory.

I think the reason male figure skaters appear to have large "packages" is due to the fact that they surround themselves with women who are very physically fit. The effects of that are much like Viagra.