The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-28-2008, 11:39 AM
MissTake MissTake is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Here
Posts: 3,780
Bringing pets to Petco/Petsmart

Yesterday the Kid and I went to our local Petco/smart big box store. She loves going there as she usually gets her puppy fix taken care of since people can bring Spot along.

However, yesterday the Kid walked up to a woman with a minpin on a leash, and upon asking if she could pet her dog, the woman snapped at her. "NO you may NOT!" We were both kind of taken aback. She has been told no before, but it's always been "Sorry, no, Spike/Fido/Fluffy is not people trained yet / ill / a killer attack dog that likes chewing on teenagers", never just a flat out rude NO!

IMO, if you're bringing a pet to the pet store, you're pretty much welcoming interaction with other people. My sister takes her dog there for socialization purposes fairly often. We have (and don't laugh) brought our eldest cat there on a leash. Because it is so unusual we have no problems with people coming up to us - we expect it. She loves exploring all the smells and has no fear of dogs.

Do you bring your critters with to the pet store? What's your take on it being a place for socialization? And how do you tell people "no"?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 01-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Doctor Who Doctor Who is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake
However, yesterday the Kid walked up to a woman with a minpin on a leash, and upon asking if she could pet her dog, the woman snapped at her. "NO you may NOT!"
This is not the Pit, so I'll just casually say, "fuck her."

Anyways, I bring my dog. As long as I can keep her from stealing treats from the bottom shelves, she's no problem whatsoever. While we're there, she hits up EVERYBODY to pet her.

And, as a general rule, I never say no. I suppose if I was going to say no, I would make up a bullshit excuse like, "we're in a hurry" or "she's covered in flea dip." But I can't see why I would say no. Especially in a pet store surrounded by (presumably) other pet lovers. My dog likes to be petted.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Omega Glory Omega Glory is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
We took my roomate's cat a couple of times, but I never take my dog. Maybe it's just my area, but some of the animals in the stores around here are sort of wild. I once had a dog run over and put its paws on my shoulders, and the other day the local news asking the public for info on a rottweiler who'd bitten a boy at Petsmart/Co (don't remember which one). The owner had left during the commotion, and the family was trying to spare their son rabies shots. I can understand wanting socialization, but it seems like a lot of people bring in dogs who aren't ready to be in a store.

Last edited by Omega Glory; 01-28-2008 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Walkabout Walkabout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Almost Heaven
Posts: 1,520
I took my older cat once. She's a big, timid cat and doesn't like to be held and doesn't like cages, so I put her in a big canvas bag, with a leash on her just in case. She just hid down in the bag and peeked out every now and then as I carried her around. This is the way I take her to the vet as well, and it works pretty well. She has a place to hide from all the scary dogs and people, and I have a convenient carrying case.

If someone asked to pet her I would say go ahead, but she's very shy. If I thought she would be scared enough to scratch or run, I might say no, but nicely and with an explanation. I don't think just having a pet with you at the store is an invitation to pet it, but you shouldn't be offended if people ask. I guess one of the reasons I took my cat there was just to get her used to the car and being carried around in a public place.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Omega Glory Omega Glory is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Oh, to answer the question, we let people pet the cat. We also took the roomate's puppy, and never turned people down when they asked to play with her.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Wee Bairn Wee Bairn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Biafra
Posts: 5,734
I don't think taking a pet there means you want or expect socializing, but to snap at someone who asks to pet your dog anywhere is insane.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Phlosphr Phlosphr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: in a Moot
Posts: 11,619
That was the woman being a complete human paraquot! What an A-Hole.

I always bring my Rhodesian Ridgeback to Petsmart - and if you'll allow a little bragging, he has been used as a training dog because of his disposition. He's great with everyone, and has been trained well - thanks - he listens to commands, learns new commands, and is just an all around great pup. Well he thinks he's a pup.

One thing I really love is when someone has a dog who is out of whack...you know the ones that pull on their leash until they strangle themselves, bark ferociously until they are too hoarse to bark anymore and the ones that basically jump all over you and have no self control whatsoever. Grissholm - my dog - stands there looking at them, and doesn't move. Some of the out of whack dogs are curious as to why their antics aren't getting him all riled up...Dog speak I guess...Maybe Griss is saying: Calm down chief - you'll get treats if you chill....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Voyager Voyager is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 34,934
We take our older, pet, dog, because it is a nice change of scene and he loves to pick out treats. He gets socialized enough in the field, though he's a bit crotchety in his old age, but still like to be petted. So, we don't turn people down. I can think of some reasons why you would, but not any that would make snapping at someone who asked acceptable.

I've never had problems with obnoxious dogs there. Owners in my PetSmart are pretty good about keeping control of their animals.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Foxy40 Foxy40 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake

Do you bring your critters with to the pet store? What's your take on it being a place for socialization? And how do you tell people "no"?
Yes. Yesterday as a matter of fact. Of course it is a place for socialization. If you don't want to have the animal exposed to people and other animals, leave it home like you do when you go to the supermarket.

I wouldn't say no if someone asked to pet him. That's why Maxwell and I go, so he can get attention from the kids and oohhhh and aaahhhhheeeddd over.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Sprockets Sprockets is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
No one I know will set foot in Petco or Petsmart because of the way they treat their animals. That being said, IMO it would be extremely foolish to take your animal to that store. I'm sure the floors are covered with spit - and worse - containing worm eggs, and all in all I can't think of a better way to expose your animal to just about every ailment out there. At least when we take our pets to the vet we are in the company of people who care about their animals.

As for the woman refusing to let her dog be touched, she was perfectly within her rights. Everyone is not nice and sweet, and it's not a requirement. The idea that if you bring your pet to a pet store you are "welcoming interaction with other people" is ridiculous. That's how you see it, but people who bring their pets to pet stores are just bringing their pets there. Maybe that woman had had trouble with her dog biting people. Maybe she was not feeling well. Maybe she was late for an appointment. Give people a break.

I know I'm going to get slammed for this because I always get slammed here for having a different opinion to the majority. How I wish there were somewhere where people could voice diverging points of view and not be put down.

Last edited by Sprockets; 01-28-2008 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-28-2008, 02:33 PM
garygnu garygnu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockets
No one I know will set foot in Petco or Petsmart because of the way they treat their animals...
Can you provide examples and, perhaps, a cite for this?

As for the condition of floors, all the PetCo locations near me are very clean. Perhaps I and others simply trust our dog's medically-enhanced immune systems.

You're right that the woman has no obligation to socialize her dog. However, the request to pet a dog should be expected in such an arena, and her response was simply rude.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Anne Neville Anne Neville is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockets
As for the woman refusing to let her dog be touched, she was perfectly within her rights. Everyone is not nice and sweet, and it's not a requirement. The idea that if you bring your pet to a pet store you are "welcoming interaction with other people" is ridiculous. That's how you see it, but people who bring their pets to pet stores are just bringing their pets there. Maybe that woman had had trouble with her dog biting people. Maybe she was not feeling well. Maybe she was late for an appointment. Give people a break.
Nobody has a problem with this woman not allowing someone to pet her dog. What is at issue here is the way in which she said it. If she had politely said, "No, you may not pet my dog", or "No, he doesn't like kids", or something like that, this thread wouldn't be here.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Kalhoun Kalhoun is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
I've got cats and we never take them to the store (or anywhere else) with us. I don't think they'd survive the jealousy when we go to the kitty department and visit with the inmates.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-28-2008, 02:56 PM
romansperson romansperson is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,359
I wish *more* people would pet my big male hound - he loves people and attention - but his size is intimidating to a lot of people.

I rarely take my dogs to the pet store, though - too many people aren't paying attention to what their own dogs are doing, and mine have high prey drives, so if a small white fluffy or (Og forbid) a ferret were running around, it'd be on.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Anne Neville Anne Neville is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun
I've got cats and we never take them to the store (or anywhere else) with us. I don't think they'd survive the jealousy when we go to the kitty department and visit with the inmates.
My cats won't walk on a leash. I put a leash and harness on them a few times (for when we were flying from California to our new home with them), and they would just lie down and refuse to move when I put the harness and leash on them.

Luna would probably hiss at the inmates in the adoption area. I doubt being hissed at would make those poor kitties feel better.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-28-2008, 03:09 PM
DiosaBellissima DiosaBellissima is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson
I wish *more* people would pet my big male hound - he loves people and attention - but his size is intimidating to a lot of people.
Aw, I love giant doggies. *cough cough* my street cred .

With my last great dane, people would initially be terrified of him- I've heard more than my fair share of dingbat mothers screech at their children, "DON'T TOUCH THAT PITBULL! HE'LL BITE YOU AND KILL YOU!"

But usually, Scooby (the last dane) was a rockstar in Petco. The checkers would always stop ringing people up, give him treats, the people in line would pet him and fawn over him. He loved it. A normal trip to Petsmart would take forever, because people would always stop me every couple of minutes- they'd want to take pictures with him, they'd ask me a million questions, and they'd buy him toys.

I guess it's not every day you see an over 6 foot tall dog. Oh well, he was happy about it. Plus, it brought me good puppy karma- I like to pet everyone's giant doggies in the stores, too!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-28-2008, 03:10 PM
MissTake MissTake is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Here
Posts: 3,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockets
As for the woman refusing to let her dog be touched, she was perfectly within her rights. Everyone is not nice and sweet, and it's not a requirement. The idea that if you bring your pet to a pet store you are "welcoming interaction with other people" is ridiculous. That's how you see it, but people who bring their pets to pet stores are just bringing their pets there. Maybe that woman had had trouble with her dog biting people. Maybe she was not feeling well. Maybe she was late for an appointment. Give people a break.
And if she had been the slightest polite about it, it wouldn't have been a problem - as noted in my OP. Most people don't just bring their pets out and about shopping, at least not that I am aware of (okay, if you're Paris/Britney/Coco with a Hermes dog bag, maybe).

I am not a dog person. I love them, just don't like cleaning up after them. Prior to this visit I learned that pomeranians are actually CUTE! thanks to "Dovey" at Petco.

Last edited by MissTake; 01-28-2008 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: to add more blather
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Sublata Sublata is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I've got a friendly Labrador who adores going to Petsmart because of the attention she gets from people. That's why I take her. I don't really need her to help me shop.

However, she doesn't get along well with other dogs, so if someone with a dog approaches and wants them to socialize, I always have to say something like, "Sorry -- she doesn't like other dogs as much as she likes people." People understand.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Shodan Shodan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 26,258
I wasn't there, but I would have assumed that the woman's dog was not to be trusted with children, and she was being curt to get the point clearly across. Or maybe she was just having a bad day, or she doesn't like children, or something.

Maybe she was rude, but she also didn't owe anyone an explanation as to why you can't pet her dog. Because it's, you know, her dog. Even at Petco.

Regards,
Shodan
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-28-2008, 03:44 PM
What Exit? What Exit? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 25,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockets
No one I know will set foot in Petco or Petsmart because of the way they treat their animals. That being said, IMO it would be extremely foolish to take your animal to that store. I'm sure the floors are covered with spit - and worse - containing worm eggs, and all in all I can't think of a better way to expose your animal to just about every ailment out there. At least when we take our pets to the vet we are in the company of people who care about their animals.

As for the woman refusing to let her dog be touched, she was perfectly within her rights. Everyone is not nice and sweet, and it's not a requirement. The idea that if you bring your pet to a pet store you are "welcoming interaction with other people" is ridiculous. That's how you see it, but people who bring their pets to pet stores are just bringing their pets there. Maybe that woman had had trouble with her dog biting people. Maybe she was not feeling well. Maybe she was late for an appointment. Give people a break.

I know I'm going to get slammed for this because I always get slammed here for having a different opinion to the majority. How I wish there were somewhere where people could voice diverging points of view and not be put down.
This seems like a strange reaction to Petsmart. We took 2 8-week classes so far in dog training where the socialization aspect was well handled. The stores are clean and the animals are well handled. They do a good job with only adopting out cats and dogs from rescue organization.

Everyone with dogs going into and out of the store have been polite. If you take your animal with you, you have to expect some attention. The lady just had to be polite like everyone else in the stores with dogs, seems capable of. No one has to take their dog with them.

I don't mean to hammer you, but you made a sweeping statement about a store that appears to me to be well run with employees that like animals. What is your specific complaint?

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Savannah Savannah is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake
Do you bring your critters with to the pet store? What's your take on it being a place for socialization? And how do you tell people "no"?
Yes, it's the only store she's allowed to come in and shop too!

It's a great place for her to socialise. There are big dogs and little dogs and other critters and lots of people. And she loves having people pay her attention and get a cookie at checkout.

I never say 'no' to people asking to pet my dog, but am I leery if it's a surly teenaged boy who looks like he might get off on hurting my 6.5 pound Clover.

The Petsmart close to us seems clean and bright and well-managed, and I love, love, love watching puppy classes there. (Come on, it's a room full of PUPPIES! Of all sizes! Floppy, fuzzy, PUPPIES! No greater joy!)

I hope the kid doesn't think all people attached to the end of a dog leash are rude; you're definitely doing the right thing by having her ask first before petting. I'm sorry the lady was rude.

I will also now endeavor to try and make sure all the big whompin' dogs get pats and hellos, too. Sometimes the little ones suck up all the attention.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-28-2008, 04:41 PM
SmartAleq SmartAleq is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
We take the dogs to Petsmart, it's good socialization for them. Widget's no problem at all, but I usually have to draw the line at three cookies because everybody wants to feed him! Kids love to pet Space because she looks like a big fuzzy stuffed animal but in winter I warn anyone who wants to pet her that she is a very furry outdoor dog who gets a bit of a pong on her--if you pet her your hands are gonna smell like that too. I also don't let anyone else feed her treats--she's a big pig and not always as gentle taking food as she could be. I don't see why anyone would bring a dog to the pet store if it's not socialized enough to behave at least fairly well, and I also don't see any reason to be rude if you'd rather someone not pet your dog.

Oh, and our local Home Despot allows dogs inside too!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Katriona Katriona is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiosaBellissima
Aw, I love giant doggies. *cough cough* my street cred .

With my last great dane, people would initially be terrified of him- I've heard more than my fair share of dingbat mothers screech at their children, "DON'T TOUCH THAT PITBULL! HE'LL BITE YOU AND KILL YOU!"
Our neighbors get that with their bulldog pup. Geez.

We have one dog who really only wants to be around or petted by people he knows well, and our PetSmart/Banfield no longer has a separate entrance for the vet, so we have to trek through the store to get to the clinic part. We just say that he's on his way to the vet and isn't feeling well, so he's cranky and doesn't want to be petted. They don't need to know that's 99% of his personality! We've also taken him to measure accurately for a harness, so that's one reason why someone with non-petting dog might have had him there, but I agree that she was rude about her refusal. When we have to do stuff like that with Mojo, we try to get in and get out as fast as possible. The other two are attention, er, hounds, so it's not an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Ike Witt Ike Witt is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lost in the mists of time
Posts: 11,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
While we're there, she hits up EVERYBODY to pet her.
My little buddy is the same way. I take him there because I know that he is going to get the chance to do his favourite thing - meet new people and dogs.

OTOH, I love it when people ask if they can pet Goliath first, and worry about kids who pet without asking. I know they will have no issues with Goliath, but not every dog is carefree and loving - some kid will get bit and it will be their fault but the dog will take the heat.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Sprockets Sprockets is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit?
What is your specific complaint?Jim
If you Google Petsmart, you will find that it has a history of lawsuits against it for unsanitary and inhumane practices in regard to the animals it sells. I've read reports from ex-employees who swear it is standard practice to feed the mice and other rodents who die to the snakes and other animals they sell. It's all over the web for anyone who wants to have a look.

I was in a Petsmart in Charlotte NC that was overrun with rats. One ran right over my foot. According to the manager, who was unconcerned with the issue, the rats came from a nearby construction project. They were running around the floor in broad daylight on a Saturday. I reported the situation to the local health department, but I was told it was only against the law to be swarming with rats if the establishment was cooking food for humans to eat.

That was just one episode but it was a case in point. When I did some research online I ran across many similar episodes. My conclusion from that reading - and your mileage may differ - is that Petsmart does not care about animals at all, and in fact engages routinely in animal abuse and neglect.

I joined the boycott.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-28-2008, 08:33 PM
MaddyStrut MaddyStrut is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
I don't take my younger dog to PetSmart because he pukes on car rides lasting more than few minutes and the local store is out of our margin of safety. But I've taken the older dog as well as my parents dogs. As mentioned, it's a good place to socialize a dog and it's kind of fun.

When I first started taking my mother's little dog, I didn't let others pet her. She was very shy (at first) and a bit overwhelmed by the experience. I kept the visits short and slowly desensitized her. Once she'd settled and became comfortable, she started asking (begging) for pets. Then I'd let others pet her.

But I never dreamed of snapping at someone who asked to pet her. I'd just say something along the lines of "she's a bit too nervous right now."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 PM
What Exit? What Exit? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 25,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockets
If you Google Petsmart, you will find that it has a history of lawsuits against it for unsanitary and inhumane practices in regard to the animals it sells. I've read reports from ex-employees who swear it is standard practice to feed the mice and other rodents who die to the snakes and other animals they sell. It's all over the web for anyone who wants to have a look.

I was in a Petsmart in Charlotte NC that was overrun with rats. One ran right over my foot. According to the manager, who was unconcerned with the issue, the rats came from a nearby construction project. They were running around the floor in broad daylight on a Saturday. I reported the situation to the local health department, but I was told it was only against the law to be swarming with rats if the establishment was cooking food for humans to eat.

That was just one episode but it was a case in point. When I did some research online I ran across many similar episodes. My conclusion from that reading - and your mileage may differ - is that Petsmart does not care about animals at all, and in fact engages routinely in animal abuse and neglect.

I joined the boycott.
Apparently I have poor Google skills, I got many hits for Petsmart helping animals groups, running cat, dog & rabbit adoptions and a slight name change. The only negatives were a few PETA attacks for selling live birds. However, PETA is against all sales of live birds, so I don't hold this as particularly damning.

In the news, they stopped selling birds in many locations, but this is because they detected a bird infection, psittacosis.

They apparently had a disappointing 4th quarter.

PETA with hidden video of pet cruelty by Petsmart. Of course the cruelty is actually by a vendor of Petsmart's and not Petsmart and further, it is debatable if the video is legit.

etc.

Is there a single complaint against Petsmart from a source that does not recommend kids drink Beer over Milk?

Jim

Canada recommending PetSmart as a good place to kennel dogs.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-28-2008, 10:44 PM
starwarsfreek42 starwarsfreek42 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
I worked at PetCo two summers ago, and the majority of folks who come in are happy to let people pet their dog or cat or ferret, whatever. People would bring in whole litters of puppies and wheel them around in a shopping cart, letting anyone play with them. However, they aren't required to. I own a large and exciteable dalmatian and I don't let anyone smaller than me touch him (I'm 5-1, 125 lbs) because he jumps up. That includes any and all children. He doesn't handle children well--and I don't blame him. I wouldn't want some little person pulling on my tail or ears or screaming about my pretty fur. I've been rude to a kid or two who wouldn't leave us alone, and I don't feel bad about it. I don't bring him there to socialize, I bring him because it's on the way home from the vet, where we visit regularly, and because my former coworkers love to see him. I am completely within my rights to refuse anyone, and there's no rule saying I have to be nice about it. That applies to my neighborhood, parks, the waiting room in the vet's office, and anywhere else I may take him. Incidentally, I once had a lady in a park try to loosen his Gentle Leader collar while I was messing around in the trunk of my car. I wasn't nice, and if he'd bitten her, I wouldn't have apologized.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Scubaqueen Scubaqueen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
gotta side with sprockets and starwarsfreek42 on this one.

people in general aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, particularly with regard to other people's pets. i dealt with enough fools when i owned a pair of german shepards, that it's left me wary of having my animals in public. schatze and hans were a perfect lady and gentleman with all kinds of folks, but if i had a nickel for every time i heard some idiot caution their child - 'look out, those police dogs bite!' i'd be rich.

while i have no complaints with any of the large-chain pet stores personally, hell would freeze over before i'd take one of my current pets - or the divemaster's - inside. while every dog and cat we both own is immunized up the ying-yang, the potential for infection in a public building like that is a real concern to us.

not only that, but should i suddenly suffer a severe mental lapse and bring in, say, rommel, the divemaster's 130-pound male german shepard, no, i wouldn't permit anyone to pet him and i'd make darn sure no one got near him. and if push came to shove i doubt i'd be too nice about it, either.

just because i brought him inside while i grab a bag of dogfood, that is not an open invitation for a kid or anybody else to make a beeline for him. unlike my two, rommel isn't aclimated to children. he is a lovely, well-behaved dog with adults, but he has no experience with the junior-edition human and their quick movements make him nervous.

and on the other side of the coin, dude, where have your hands been lately? i used to work in a wastewater treatment plant. you don't want to know what i know about infectious tranfer.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Voyager Voyager is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 34,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockets
If you Google Petsmart, you will find that it has a history of lawsuits against it for unsanitary and inhumane practices in regard to the animals it sells. I've read reports from ex-employees who swear it is standard practice to feed the mice and other rodents who die to the snakes and other animals they sell. It's all over the web for anyone who wants to have a look.


That was just one episode but it was a case in point. When I did some research online I ran across many similar episodes. My conclusion from that reading - and your mileage may differ - is that Petsmart does not care about animals at all, and in fact engages routinely in animal abuse and neglect.
I think a good case can be made against buying a dog from any pet store. But we're not talking about that, we're talking about taking our dogs there. My PetSmart is clean. We don't take him to the vet there, but we board him there now when we must. The last time we boarded him at a kennel he got kennel cough - he is clearly much happier at PetSmart.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Voyager Voyager is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 34,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaqueen
gotta side with sprockets and starwarsfreek42 on this one.

people in general aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, particularly with regard to other people's pets. i dealt with enough fools when i owned a pair of german shepards, that it's left me wary of having my animals in public. schatze and hans were a perfect lady and gentleman with all kinds of folks, but if i had a nickel for every time i heard some idiot caution their child - 'look out, those police dogs bite!' i'd be rich.
On the other hand, when we raised guide dog puppies (Goldens and Labs) we took them everywhere, and people, almost without exception, asked if they could pet them. (We usually said yes as part of their socialization.) As for cleanliness (viz Sprockets) I wouldn't say the pet store is much dirtier than the floor of our very nice supermarket.

German shepherds are intimidating to lots of people, especially those who remember the police using them at civil rights marches. Unfair, true, but understandable.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 AM
Tabula Rasa Tabula Rasa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake
However, yesterday the Kid walked up to a woman with a minpin on a leash, and upon asking if she could pet her dog, the woman snapped at her. "NO you may NOT!" We were both kind of taken aback. She has been told no before, but it's always been "Sorry, no, Spike/Fido/Fluffy is not people trained yet / ill / a killer attack dog that likes chewing on teenagers", never just a flat out rude NO!
In knowing that you're supposed to ask before petting someone else's dog, you kinda know that the answer may be "No". No one has to explain why you can pet their dog when they say "yes" and no one has to explain why you can't pet their dog when they say "no".

Taking a dog to Petsmart is no more an invitation to pet it than being pregnant in public is an invitation to cop a feel of a protruding bellybutton.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-29-2008, 06:23 AM
Sprockets Sprockets is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
we board him there now when we must. The last time we boarded him at a kennel he got kennel cough - he is clearly much happier at PetSmart.
OM freaking G

Last edited by Sprockets; 01-29-2008 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-29-2008, 06:29 AM
Sprockets Sprockets is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit?
Apparently I have poor Google skills, I got many hits for Petsmart helping animals groups, running cat, dog & rabbit adoptions and a slight name change. The only negatives were a few PETA attacks for selling live birds. . . .Is there a single complaint against Petsmart from a source that does not recommend kids drink Beer over Milk?
We find what we're looking for. Google "Petsmart lawsuit." Google "Petsmart unsanitary." Those are the two that I thought of first, and I just woke up.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 AM
What Exit? What Exit? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 25,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockets
We find what we're looking for. Google "Petsmart lawsuit." Google "Petsmart unsanitary." Those are the two that I thought of first, and I just woke up.
You know if you can't bother with a few links, maybe I should be ragging on you. I already played this game once. Cite already!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Beware of Doug Beware of Doug is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
The Min Pin lady is a tightly wound individual who dotes on her doggie and despises kids.

There's also an old saying that people and their dogs come to look alike. Maybe it ought to be extended to acting alike. Snappish little dogs breed snappish little people.

True, Madame Min Pin is under no obligation to be social or civil. But there do seem to be a lot of folks these days defending people's non-obligation to be decent and understanding about anything. Including to impressionable young folks.

And that's all I'll say about that.

Now, Petco vs. Petsmart. In my area, the Petco is depressing, poorly stocked and empty of either staff or customers. The Petsmart is quite a bit better, perhaps because it has the local animal shelter's cat room on the premises. The kittehs looked frisky and well tended and their cubbies clean.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Sprockets Sprockets is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit?
You know if you can't bother with a few links, maybe I should be ragging on you. I already played this game once. Cite already!
Since you're the one who wants proof, I really don't understand why you don't do the research yourself. However, here is just ONE link which I did have time to find for you.

http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/petsmart_jails_birds

I don't believe in duelling links. I somehow expect that when I post my opinion it will be understood that I'm not talking out my nether orifice. I only have opinions about subjects with which I am familiar, things I've thought about and researched. It demeans both of us when you automatically assume I don't know what I'm saying and you demand links to the opinions of other people in order to believe me. The information is out there if you want it.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 AM
What Exit? What Exit? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 25,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockets
Since you're the one who wants proof, I really don't understand why you don't do the research yourself. However, here is just ONE link which I did have time to find for you.

http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/petsmart_jails_birds

I don't believe in duelling links. I somehow expect that when I post my opinion it will be understood that I'm not talking out my nether orifice. I only have opinions about subjects with which I am familiar, things I've thought about and researched. It demeans both of us when you automatically assume I don't know what I'm saying and you demand links to the opinions of other people in order to believe me. The information is out there if you want it.
I looked last night and found nothing but PETA links. I said as much. You made the claims that counter most posters experiences with this chain. If I have to choose between trusting PETA (Beer not Milk PETA) and PetSmart, I will place more trust in the business that keeps a clean store, provided us with a hermit crab that lived two years and did an excellent job training us and our dog.

This place has help adopt out more adult cats & dogs than any "for profit" company. The humane society appears to approve of them. PETA is a crazy group. It is tough to treat them seriously.

PETA wants to end all live animal sales if you read deeply into their website. Petsmart is just the largest target available. Unless you also support ending all live animal sales, basing your protest on PETA makes little sense to me. PETA would also have us all become vegetarians. There might be some benefits to this, but it is hardly a reasonable goal and goes in the face of the fact that humans are omnivores. They want to end the dairy industry. It is better in their minds that their are no dairy cows than having humans treats dairy cows so horribly. If you cannot tell by now, I dislike PETA strongly and find them an embarrassment to other groups that are trying to help animals.

Jim (paying member of Humane Socieity and WWF along with being an active Green)

Last edited by What Exit?; 01-29-2008 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Bridget Burke Bridget Burke is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 6,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockets
We find what we're looking for. Google "Petsmart lawsuit." Google "Petsmart unsanitary." Those are the two that I thought of first, and I just woke up.
If you Google "UFOs 'cosmic friends'"--a few hundred references appear. That doesn't mean they can be trusted.

Besides, your first post on this thread indicated you've got larger problems than your distaste for Petsmart.
Quote:
I know I'm going to get slammed for this because I always get slammed here for having a different opinion to the majority. How I wish there were somewhere where people could voice diverging points of view and not be put down.
I hope you don't mean "put down" in a veterinary sense?

Last edited by Bridget Burke; 01-29-2008 at 08:44 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Sprockets Sprockets is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke
If you Google "UFOs 'cosmic friends'"--a few hundred references appear. That doesn't mean they can be trusted.
I agree absolutely, and that's why I don't normally post links. We find what we are looking for. I went through the "researching Petsmart" thing a few years back, but that wasn't good enough for some people. Links just show you someone else's opinion. And they are usually demanded by people who only want to argue.

Quote:
Besides, your first post on this thread indicated you've got larger problems than your distaste for Petsmart.
Not a problem, but an observation. I've been amazed at how intolerant of different opinions - to the point of abuse - many people have been on this board. I've never understood why some people need to attack other people just because they can get away with it.

Quote:
I hope you don't mean "put down" in a veterinary sense?
Oh gosh, is it possible to do that online?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Sprockets Sprockets is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit?
PETA is a crazy group. It is tough to treat them seriously.
Oh yes, a right bunch of loonies. Animal welfare and all that. Can you imagine?

Quote:
PETA wants to end all live animal sales if you read deeply into their website.
One wonders how they can sleep at night. Barbarians.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Sprockets Sprockets is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit?
. . .provided us with a hermit crab that lived two years. . .
Two years? Wait, why didn't you say that up front? That's amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 AM
What Exit? What Exit? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 25,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockets
Two years? Wait, why didn't you say that up front? That's amazing.
As I am too thick to know if you are serious or sarcastic, I will say, for a hermit crab in the care of an 8-10 years old, it was remarkable. The poor things have very short average lifespan as pets from what I know. I had to dig a grave for Kansas* in February. Not the easiest thing before leaving for work.

I really think it comes down to standard PETA practices. If you have not noticed, they are not really in favor of domestic animals. PetSmart is either the largest or the second largest chain that is Pet oriented. PETA also has problems with most Zoos from what I have read over the years.

Jim


* The Hermit Crab was named Kansas, I am not sure why.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Foxy40 Foxy40 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockets
IMO it would be extremely foolish to take your animal to that store. I'm sure the floors are covered with spit - and worse - containing worm eggs, and all in all I can't think of a better way to expose your animal to just about every ailment out there. At least when we take our pets to the vet we are in the company of people who care about their animals.
Are we talking about worrying about what animals that eat each others vomit and...(drat, this isn't the pit) doodie are going to get from the floor of a pet store? I would imagine it would be a lot safer than taking them to a doggy park or on even on a busy street for that matter.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 AM
SomeUserName SomeUserName is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy40
snip...drat, this isn't the pit)
Oh how I wish it was for more reasons than are just in this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-29-2008, 12:11 PM
ZipperJJ ZipperJJ is offline
And Finn The Human
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 19,160
I take my dog to both PetSmart and PetCo and let people pet her. But she is one of those mellow, sweet golden retrievers and people ALWAYS ask.

I think taking your dogs out to those places is a good way to socialize both dogs AND people. It makes me feel all warm inside when a kid asks its parent if they can pet my dog and the parent says "please ask her if it's ok" and I say it's ok and tell them how to properly approach a dog. I feel like we've done a good deed.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 PM
whiterabbit whiterabbit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockets
Oh yes, a right bunch of loonies. Animal welfare and all that. Can you imagine?

One wonders how they can sleep at night. Barbarians.
PETA goes far, far beyond "animal welfare." I don't think too many people besides PETA takes PETA seriously. I've never known anybody who did, and I'm a huge animal lover.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Beware of Doug Beware of Doug is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
PETA people aren't animal lovers, they're animal rights activists. Their reason for being is to oppose any human use of animals - as pets, as food, as clothing, as livestock, test subjects, service animals. They may have started out caring about humane treatment of strays, lab animals, etc., but they've long since turned into an ideological front.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 PM
What Exit? What Exit? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 25,608
I see I am in no way on my own in my strong dislike for PETA.

This is good to know for some reason.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Sprockets Sprockets is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit?
PETA also has problems with most Zoos from what I have read over the years.
So do many people, myself included. Can anyone fail to feel the air of desperation and depression coming from most animals in zoos?

Quote:
The Hermit Crab was named Kansas, I am not sure why.
Was it flat? Was it originally from Kansas?
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.