I am stuck in a girly bed for the rest of my life. Hear me vent!

Precisely when I lost control of the marital bed cannot be determined. Like so many things in marriage, a guy wakes up one day and goes “Holy shit! How did this happen?”

One day, I was in Sleepy’s or Snoozy’s or Bob’s Bedding Shack or one of those fucking annoying stores. I had managed to convince my wife that her back problems were probably due to an overly squooshy mattress. Turns out I was right. The bed store gave us a firm mattress. Both our aches and pains disappeared within a week. Thus, the track record concerning all bed-related matters was: THespos: 1, THespos’ Wife: 0. Life was good.

Then came the pillows. First, let’s rewind…

By way of background, I should mention that if left to myself, I would have continued to make use of my standard issue pillow. My mom gave me this pillow in the mid-1970s. If the labels on it are to be believed, it was stolen from a hotel that no longer exists, long before I was born. When I left for college, I, in turn, stole this pillow from my mom and never gave it back. It has been with me ever since. It may be clumpy and have weird stains on it reminiscent of Mikhail Gorbachev’s head, but nobody ever sees that crap anyway because there’s a pillowcase on it.

When I got married, said pillow disappeared. I like to think it went to where the missing socks go - the dryer opened up a portal to a parallel universe and the thing slipped in there, where it’s now being enjoyed by a purple imp with three penises or something. More likely, however, is that my wife absconded with it during the night and buried it in the yard.

Somewhere along the line, there was a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens & Shit or one of those annoying stores that give me headaches because they always smell like Yankee Candles. We bought a new pillow apiece. Those weird Tempur-pedic jobbies that look like a Barcalounger for your head. The logic went something like this:

“Two of these pillows cost $100. The rest of the pillows in the store cost less than that. Therefore, these must be the best pillows money can buy. Let’s get them.”

I slept on my Tempur-pedic. Life was good. Then, other pillows began to arrive.

[ul]
[li]There is the white pillow. This pillow is a poor facsimile of my standard issue pillow that was kidnapped. I have been told by my wife that I have permission to sleep on this pillow. But I like my Tempur-pedic. Thus, the white pillow goes under the Tempur-pedic. This pillow is useless.[/li][li]There is another white pillow. My wife informs me that this pillow is not a pillow at all, but something called a “sham.” This is a good name for it, mainly because it fools me into thinking it’s the white pillow mentioned above. The only difference between this pillow and the white pillow is this little frilly thing around the edges, which is tough to detect when coming in drunk at 3:30 AM. I am frequently roused from my sleep by my wife screaming at me to NOT SLEEP ON THE GODDAMN SHAM![/li][li]There is another pillow that goes in front of the sham. It is another non-functional pillow. Thankfully, I can tell this one from the others because it is the same color as our bedspread and has this piping around the edges, such that if you fall asleep on it, the piping makes a red mark across your face that won’t disappear until after the important meeting the next day. I have no idea what this pillow is called. For the rest of this post I will call it MFP (for Mother Fu… uh, wait. I mean “NFP” for “Non-Functional Pillow”).[/li][li]There is yet another pillow that goes in front of the NFP. It is white and decorative and smaller than the other pillows. The only functional purpose it serves is as an occasional missile weapon, since it is football sized and perfect for flinging across the room.[/li][li]Believe it or not, there is yet another pillow. This is one of those pregnancy pillows that is shaped like a giant sperm cell. This was a gift from my sister to my wife. It is never used as directed, and it sits between my wife and I during the night, playing the role of the dog we don’t have.[/li][/ul]

When it’s time to sleep, six (count 'em - SIX) of these fucking pillows end up on the floor. Two shams, two NFPs, two decorative pillows. When I get up during the night for a pee, that’s six landmines to dodge. I have tripped many times during the course of the night, most recently almost taking out a very expensive 46" flat panel in the process.

I have discussed it rationally with my wife. I have debated the risks and have pointed out the uselessness of things with no functional purpose. I have taken it as far as to bellow “ENOUGH WITH THE FUCKING PILLOWS ALREADY!!!” at the top of my lungs. Nothing works. I am stuck in this girly bed until one of us dies.

Then there are the bedclothes.

In my bachelor days, life was simple. There was a fitted sheet. During the warmer months, I slept on top of this fitted sheet with a flat sheet on top of me. During the colder months, a comforter was placed on top of the flat sheet.

While I wasn’t paying attention, my wife apparently has snuck in a few extra layers on me. There’s another blanket between the flat sheet and the comforter. Purpose unknown. On top of the bedspread is another gift from my sister. I have no idea what it is, but it looks like a big bed doily. Again - purely decorative.

These things add up. The cumulative effect is like being buried in sand on the beach. I’d like to sleep, but there are 30 lbs. of covers sitting on my chest. I have recurring nightmares about being crushed to death by sacks of concrete being dropped onto me one after the other.

I also have nightmares about the pillows breeding. No shit. The little white decorative ones hump while we’re sleeping. I’m convinced of it. I think they’re establishing a pillow colony downstairs on the sectional sofa, where I’m noticing more useless pillows that my wife forbids me to sleep on. She’s in on the scheme.

Please help me escape the girly bed, before stuffed animals start to appear.

I propose that you fight fire with fire. Bring manly things into the bed, like footballs, socket wrenches and beer steins. That’ll learn 'er.

Oh, I feel for you. The pillows do seem to multiply mysteriously, don’t they? Plus we don’t just have a pillowcase. There are two on each pillow. One that makes contact with the head and another inside to keep the actual pillow clean. (I’ll give you the logic of that since left to my own devices I only tend to only change pillowcases when my hair actually starts to stick to them.

But the blankets! First there’s the top sheet, then a cotton thermal blanket, then an acrylic thermal blanket, then a comforter, and finally a bedspread. The weight is bad enough, but I don’t need that much covering unless there’s just no heat on. Every night I end up shifting half the cloth on my side just so I don’t smother.

There are seven extraneous pillows in our bedroom. Do I win?

I own extra pillows. They live in the closet. I guess if we’re ever in the Parade of Homes, I’ll bring 'em out.

However, I did throw out his nasty Gorbechev pillow.

As long as there are no pink floral patterns involved, kick the pillows to the side and count yourself lucky.

Does she go in your shop and tell you that you have too many tools? 'cuz other than that, STFU and go to sleep.

Excellent rant, THespos. I have two questions:

Are you really Dave Barry?

Do you really have a 46" flat panel TV in your bedroom?

You can always manly up the bed with plenty of prodigious farting at bed time. Then ask her if the big bed doily can be used for a Dutch Oven.

[sub]I’m going to get my woman card revoked.[/sub]

As a younger man I had a futon, and it was good. One sheet to keep fluids directly off of the futon and a blanket. Two pillows, both actual functioning pillows, and that was it.

Now we have a bed with all sorts of rules on it too. The comforter, which apparently only comforts the bed and the floor since I am not allowed to sleep on it, two giant $50 each down pillows that go in the shams, which again I am not allowed to sleep on. That’s right, $100 worth of pillows that cannot be used, ever, as pillows. These too get thrown on the floor. So far we’re talking about $300 worth of expensive and nice bedding that gets ceremoniously thrown on the fucking floor every night. To me, this is the same as buying a tuxedo and only wearing it to work on the car or paint. It is a waste.

Then it was time to get a new bed. Ok, that’s fine, let’s go to Holy Shit Is This In American Dollars!!! And Bedding and see what’s up. $3500 later…we have a pillow topped 300lb monstrosity that sits a reasonable 6 feet off of the ground. You have to take a running leap to get on this thing, forget putting your socks on while sitting on it.

The salesman talked us (her) into buying this special $80 plastic sheet that protects your bed from lord only knows what, that has the added bonus of collecting sweat and not letting it go anywhere so that the bed frequently smells like a Greyhound bus station if you don’t change the sheets every two days, of which of course there are 100 different layers of sheets and blankets and down things and satin things and maybe even a movers quilt. This is because my girlfriend could freeze to death in the desert in August.

In other words, I feel for you.

Do these layers also happened to be tucked around the mattress so tightly that they pin you to the bed? That, to me, is the unbearable part. Pile them on, as long as I can roll around in relative comfort.

You know, I hate to say it, but it sounds like you have an old person’s bed. It happens to the best of us, so don’t let it get you down too much. :wink:

I have three unfortunate suggestions. Well, two unfortunate ones and one that might be practical. I’ll start by suggesting (mostly in jest) that what you need is a puppy. It can lay on the bed, it’s cute, and they usually destroy at least a few pillows before being trained properly.

Alternatively, you can start adding little pillows yourself. Sneak them in and pretend that they’re actually breeding. Consider it an experiment. How many pillows is too many for her.

Lastly, when there are blankets and a comforter/spread, traditionally, the decorative bits get folded away into a chest at the end of the bed to keep them from being dirtied by someone actually sleeping with them. Seriously. The top layer and the pillows can be corraled at bedtime. It’s the snazzy thing to do. You’ll be out the cost of the chest, and the chest will no doubt come to have it’s own doilies and what-not, but it’ll keep the pillows from tripping you.

If your wife needs the extra heat, you can add blankets to her side or get a dual-control electric blanket. But the top spread, doily, and throw pillows can be boxed at night.

I’m having a crazy idea. It’s ludicrous, I know, but work with me here - tell your wife, “All the pillows really make me unhappy. Not in a joking way, not in a ‘he’s a man so he hates pillows isn’t it cute’ way, but in a ‘I am a human being with preferences about my surroundings that deserve respect’ way. I love you, and I want you to be happy, so let’s compromise. I will do (x) that you have been after me about, and keep up on it, if you’ll get rid of half the pillows, and keep the number of non-functional pillows to three or less. What do you think? Is this a workable solution for you?”

Barring that, just take the damned things out in the driveway and have a pillow burning. Pillows are for sleeping, not looking pretty, and those things are too damned useless to live anyhow.

Dude, you’re totally missing the point of having all those extra pillows. Don’t think of them as a girly annoyance- think of them as an opportunity to build a bitchin’ pillow fort!

You and me both. To date, I’ve never had extra pillows, shams, or anything with flowers. Every so often, I buy a new set of sheets that are either plaid or plain, and in a suitably gender-neutral color scheme. I also buy new pillows as the old ones get schlepped around the house. That’s it.

Robin

if there are pets that shed, include an extra blanket for said pets to sit on so they don’t ruin the aura your wife has created in lieu of a real pillow fort.

What on earth is it with men and those nasty Gorbachev pillows?

I swear, I’m slowly trying to convince him that a pillow doesn’t have to be older than him and contain who-knows-what in oder to be comfortable to sleep on. Isn’t it noisy, with all of those decades of mites in it?

I’m siding with your wife on that one. And I may be guilty of having a sham or two. And possibly an NFP. But no frills.

Do I make up for it by keeping taxidermy in the bedroom too?

Female chiming in: Make her pile the pillows on a chair or dresser prior to laying down to sleep each night. Hold your ground, don’t budge. Them being on the floor is untidy, and hazardous. She has to concede this, especially if you don’t complain that they exist, just about where they are put in the night, so you can get up to go pee and not break your neck.

You are permitted to sleep in the presence of an incarnation of the Goddess. Abject gratitude is the only acceptable attitude.

Just assert your God-given patriarchal authority and demand that your wife change your bed decor…

Ha ha ha! Ha ha ha! Who am I kidding? You’re doomed. Abandon all hope.

Sophistry and Illusion
(married 12 years come June)