Whatcha readin' February (08) edition

Sorry guys, I usually start these the day before the new month, but got busy last night.

Here is the new thread.

Currently have 5 books that have bookmarks in them

Eyes of the Dragon, Steven King. It’s my favorite book of all time. I’ve read it dozens of times, and I still love it.

The Memory Keepers Daughter

Necessary Evil

How the Irish Saved Civilization

Invocation, M.C. Dougherty. This is my friend’s novel that is a work in progress. I get 4 chapters emailed every so often. I’m really proud of him.

I’m working my way through Prep by Curtis Sittenfield and liking it.

Next up:

A trip to Deadsville.

Northanger Abbey.
Persuasion.

I’m currently ahead of my curve on the 50 book challenge as I’m on my seventh (it would have been eight but I gave up on one) at the moment - I was worried I’d be struggling to do it but so far it’s not been too difficult. I guess the strategy is to not have too many big chunky books.

Paragod, I tried a couple of times to get through How The Irish Saved Civilization, and found the prose so impenetrable that it gave me headaches. I never did get all the way through. What do you think of it?

I am just finishing up The World Without Us. It is an excellent book about what would happen to the earth if every person disappeared at once.

On deck is Black Death.

Right now I am about 30 pages away from finishing Fried Green Tomatoes and the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. Next up is Rosemary’s Baby by Ira Levin.

I am also about halfway through HP and The Order of the Phoenix. I have been rereading the Harry Potter series as my before bed/at the laundrymat books.

I have finished The Dark River and am still enjoying the series, even if, as I’ve mentioned, the author actually believes the stuff.

It is a mix of Sci Fi and Fantasy. Well, Sci Fi is too strong. Technobabble might be better. All of the technology exists, but the author stretches the abilities of today’s technology. In his world (our world if he is to believed) there is a collective called The Tabula running the world. They have access to every security cam in the world and can ID people in a matter of minutes who just passed an ATM on forth street. It is a near Orwellian world.

Opposing The Tabula are the Travelers, who have “the mystical ability to slip in and out of several dimensions.”

Also we have Harlequins who guard the Travelers. Maya is the daughter of a Harlequin who had once decided not to pursue her father’s profession. But after his death she agrees to travel to the States and find the sons of a Traveler.

One of the sons, an ambitious power-hungry man is captured by the Tabula so that they can have a pet Traveler. The other escapes with Maya, setting up the conflict.

The second in the trilogy is not as good as the first, but I’m not sure if that is due to my views on the author.

I’m not sure what is next - so very many in the queue that I can’t wait to read.

Recently finished the book I’ve been reading to my son before bed. He’s eleven and has been raving about it: Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney. It was really cute and funny, but near the end of the book we had to have a discussion about the main character. He’s just not a nice kid. His little brother, Manny, now…so freakin’ adorable, I just want to squish him! I know, I know it’s just a cartoon.

I’m in the middle of Pride and Prejudice…right about the point where I’ve quit thinking of Mrs. Bennett as a product of her time, and begun thinking of her as a crazy bitch.

I’m amazed you ever thought of her as anything BUT a crazy bitch - her and her nerves had me raising my eyebrows from the minute I encountered her.

I thought maybe she was just a lovable old pain in the ass like Aunt Pittypat. :slight_smile:

I just finished John Ringo’s Maxome Foe, the third book in his on-going “Looking Glass” series.

Last night, I burned through Gifted and Dangerous, the first 2 trade-paperback compilations of Joss Whedon’s Astonishing X-Men arcs. If you are even slightly interested in Whedon’s work, you have to read these comics. Truly magnificent work.

Next in the queue is S. M. Stirling’s Ice, Iron and Gold.

After that, who knows? There are a dozen books in the pile, with new ones added weekly. We shall see…

After finishing Life Class by Pat Barker, I’m back with The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson. It’s about 900 pages, so it’ll probably be my February book.

I’m finally reading The God Delusion, so far a great big “Meh” from this atheist. I’m a more live and let live kind of person anyway, so the in-your- face-ness of the whole thing is off putting. I do however really like the historical and analytical sides of the book.

just picked up Darkmans
by Niccola Barker. I know nothing about it, but the synopsis pulled me right in. The past as an active participant in what happens in the future. Squirt!
I’m starting that one next.

I also got The Electric Church by Jeff Somers. I read about it on the John Scalzi website Whatever, so decided to pick it up. Old timey detective Noir with a malevolent tyranical group of half men, half machines?
Yes please!

Just finished The Grenadillo Box, by Janet Gleeson, which I liked everything about except the tortured resolution.

Now, I’m just about married to Lonesome Dove. Wish us a long and happy life together, will you? I’m going to make this one last a while. :slight_smile:

Just finished *Scooter * by Mick Foley (yes, the wrestler), and *Prince of the Blood * (for about the fiftieth time by Raymond Feist.
Just starting The Most of P.G. Wodehouse, by (surprise) P.G. Wodehouse.

Right now it’s Suburban Safari which is about a woman who spends a year paying attention to the critters that live in her yard and learning more about them, and it’s facinating.

Next up is Andrew Vachss’ Strega because sometimes you just can’t get too hard boiled. My new library has a lot more of his stuff than my old library did so I’ve been slowing working my way through their collection of his stuff.

After that it will probably be Knowing Bass which I’m hoping won’t read like a biology textbook, but most of them do. I’ll force my way through it in hopes of catching a few more fish this year.

Just started The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay which hooked me in almost immediately.

I finished Stardust in a day. It was pretty good. The middle went by a little fast, but the beginning and end were excellent.

Currently working on:
*The Return of the King which makes me want to rewatch the movie. I’ve seen the other two twice, but ROTK only once. I can’t remember what happened other than Frodo was not naked. :frowning:
*Models of the Universe, a book of prose poems that I’ve been working on since December. It takes me a while to read poetry.
*A History of the Breast, one of those books you check out just for the title. One of my roommates (male) has already declared that he wants to read it when I’m done.
*Les Liasons Dangereuses which I just pulled off of the closet outcropping of Mt. ToBeRead. Oxford edition, Douglas Parmeé translation.

I’m just getting into “Shulz & Peanuts” by David Michaelis. So far it’s a fascinating read.

I just today read The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett.

I’m currently reading Triss by Brian Jacques. I also have the next 4 Redwall books to read after this one.

AND, I have 3 Bentley Little books but I can’t for the life of me remember where the hell I put them so I can’t tell you the titles.