How do I get the smell of blood out of carpet?

It’s not what you think.
A friend of mine hit a deer back in November and was able to keep the deer and have it carved up at a friends house.
Everything was wrapped up nicely for freezer storage at his house except one bit that his friend ran out of the butcher paper for and didn’t have any ziploc/saran . So it was double bagged in store bag, put in his trunk and promptly forgotten about until it was realized that the bag had gotten punctured and blood leaked onto the carpet in the trunk.

He has tried baking soda, scented baking soda, febreze and a few other things.

One warmer winter days, the smell haunts the truck. Spring is getting closer and it will be nigh on impossible to deal with.

Any super-duper cleaners out there that anyone can recommend?

How about hiring one of those Rug Doctor carpet cleaner thingies? Once he’s done the car he can do the house while he’s at it.

Fresh 'n Clean Pet Odor and Stain Eliminator (with the Arm and Hammer logo on it).

Go to the health food store or pet store and get some “volcanic rock” also known as zeolite. It will get the smell of anything out of anything. We use it in apartments, including one where a guy died and wasn’t discovered over a hot July weekend.

Nature’s Miracle is worth a shot. It works great on pet stains/odors, and claims to do the same for blood.
http://www.petco.com/product/2437/Nature-s-Miracle-Stain-and-Odor-Remover.aspx#details

Deer Diery, …
Shirley, reading this I couldn’t help but think of the old saying… Friends help you move. Good friends help you move bodies.

Assuming that you have already dumped the body.

If it’s a rug I usually vacuum it a couple of times and then late at night put it in the car and deposit in a dumpster downtown. Then I throw in a couple of gallons of whatever flammable liquid I have and a cigarette fuse (cigarette, matches, rubber band).

If it’s on the wall to wall carpet at home I just torch the place and move on.

Remember not to keep any personal mementos, the cops always pick up on that.

I second the vote for Nature’s Miracle. It’s an enzyme that actually eats the blood proteins. Soak the spot all the way through the backing and once it dries the smell will be gone.

That stuff is a miracle.

I will give him the info on Nature’s Miracle. Thanks everyone.

:slight_smile:

There’s a good chance the blood soaked through the carpet into the the padding underneath. If you are using any of those products, you might have to pull up the carpet to clean the padding.

If none of that helps, you can get pre-cut, pre-shaped carpet for the car from J.C. Whitney or a local trim shop (tops & upholstery.)

When I had a blood spill at my house* (yes, it was what you think :eek: ,) the adjuster called in Servicemaster and some other contractors to wash and repaint, and rip up all the carpet. At the point of greatest blood, part of the plywood underlayment was cut out and replaced. The carpenter said, otherwise the aroma would come back in humid weather for years to come.

*An old friend killed his estranged wife in my house because she wanted half his records in the divorce settlement. I can’t think of a good reason for a man to kill his soon-to-be ex-wife, but that has to be one of the stupidest reasons. He killed her with a damn fine chef’s knife from my kitchen. I never liked his wife, but I miss that knife. The crime scene investigator had me identify the knife, and he asked me if I wanted it back. I pictured myself slicing peppers with the murder weapon, and I said no.

Drop a line to OJ Simpson. He might have some ideas.

Singles or LPs?

LPs, mostly.

A deer, right.

“We took a ride out to the country and hit a deer. That’s where all the blood is from…it reminds me, I need this knife. I’m taking this, okay? Just for a while. We hit the deer and his paw…What do you call it? The paw.”

“The hoof.”

“Got caught in the grill. I got to hack it off.”

Simple Solution is much cheaper than Nature’s Miracle, and just as good IME. Once when I was cutting my dog Gizmo’s nails, I cut the quick fairly badly, and he ran all over the living room and dining room bleeding before I could catch him, put some styptic powder on the nail, put a sock on his foot, and crate him. It looked like O.J. had stopped by - there were blood tracks everywhere. Simple Solution cleaned it right up. Simple Solution also took care of a bad case of dog assplosion with no residual stain or odor.

I would be pissed. No really, really, out of my mind freakin’ nuclear. How you can tell this in a couple of sentences with such a laid back tone is unpossible in my mind! How did this come to happen in your house? This is a story that begs to be told…at least told to me. :smiley:

[Delko] “Horatio…! This trunk looks like its been professionally cleaned.” [/Delko]

[Hortatio Caine] “That, Delko… {Sunglasses-Flip} …sounds like a Miracle. A Nature’s Miracle…” [/Hortatio Caine]

…Who are you? Who-who, Who-who…?

This is another thread that would go well with a “(need answer fast!)” addition.

It happened Sept. 9, 1992, so I’ve had a lot of time to calm down and whittle down the story from a long, detailed bummer.

I had known him for 20 years, not as well as I thought. He married a bad-news girl with great legs, divorced her, married her again, :smack: and was in the process of divorcing her again. He ran short of money, and couldn’t make his house payments. He wanted to let it go into foreclosure, but I talked him into putting it on the market. It sold quickly, but when he went to the closing, his wife and her lawyer were there. She had signed a quitclaim deed in the first divorce, but he didn’t get around to giving her the $1500 the decree called for. :smack: Thus, she still owned half the house, and got half the money from the sale. Dumber yet, he actually had given her the money, but didn’t get receipts. :smack:

He was broke and had no place to live, so I let him stay “for a few weeks” at my house. One afternoon, he went to her place with a bottle of tequila and a fistful of pills, trying to talk her into a better deal for the new divorce. He agreed to take care of their (well, not his) 18-month old daughter for the evening. Mrs. Nott and I went off to our meeting in Indianapolis, not knowing about the babysitting.

Apparently, his wife came over to my house, carrying daughter and playpen. She dropped her half-the-records demand on him, and they argued. She grabbed a big knife from the kitchen. He got cut, but took away the knife. He killed her in a really nasty fashion in my front room. Her blood was splattered on two of my guitars.

I got advice from a luthier on cleaning blood off guitars (Murphy’s Oil Soap, gently.) I put together the framework of a blues song called She Bled To Death On My Guitar. Then, I…I came apart. I don’t know exactly how long it took until it wasn’t the first thing I thought about every morning. I’m not a Catholic, but I asked a priest friend to bless the house. He said prayers for the dead wife, the killer, and us. He installed a guardian angel on our house, and he scattered holy water.