Resume: Impossible - Chef Robert Irvine dropped from Food Network

Story at Yahoo! News.

The St. Petersburg Times article is hilarious. I’m not sure what’s stranger- his claim that the Queen of England knighted him and gave him a castle or his plan to build two neighboring restaraunts called Ooze and Schmooze.

Good riddance. He’s an abusive prick, IMHO. But geez, the guy gets all the way into his 4th season before they find out? Weird.

This quote from him is rich:

Pffft.

Aww… I enjoy that show!

The Network is trying to come off as disappointed in their star, and says it wants folks to be able to trust what they see on the networks shows.

So, didn’t anyone think to, oh, actually*** check*** his resume before hiring him? Irvine shouldn’t have spiced up his resume, but someone dropped the ball when he was brought on board.

Ah, what does it matter? I don’t like the show anyway.

Yeah, I like the show, and 95% of the time I liked Irvine.

At least the show will continue.

didn’t this just happen to them with “The Next Food Network Star”? Why don’t they have some intern going through resumes right now, double checking everyone?

Getting caught twice is just silly.

Sad. I like Irvine, and I like the show. But somebody at the Food Network should lose their job over this for not checking his resume.

Aw, man, I liked him!

I’m torn. I like his show generally, but he does come off as a prick in a lot of episodes.

I have to wonder if these people didn’t have any common sense. It seems like everyone involved with the project was a little nutty. Ooze and Schmooze? He’s a Knight Commander? The Queen gave him a castle? You have got to be kidding me.

Wow, that’s a wild story. Dinner Impossible is my favorite show on the Food Network. I’ll be sad to see Irvine go.

I like this part- “The Food Network said it might revisit its decision at the end of this season”- so if ratings go up as a result of the controversy, or if the replacement gets worse ratings, all will be forgiven.

This sucks. :frowning: I liked him and now I’m terribly disappointed.

I figure, two seasons in, make him do some sort of public penance (a PSA or charity-gig) and maybe institute a paycut, but he’s been tested already on the show (which I really enjoy) and proved himself effectively, so cancelling the show seems to be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

But that’s just if it’s about the lying. Since he appears to be in financial trouble, that’s a different matter, and I don’t blame them for seeing him as damaged goods. Too bad–I really do like the show and he seems to be a good-natured guy.

Oh well.

Wow, this is hilarious. I love the show too, and am very disappointed it’s going off the air. But really, I’m thinking the Food Network deserves all the egg on its face for not checking facts. I mean, the Food Network can serve up fiction just fine (à la Iron Chef), but it takes a special kind of willful negligence to present your star’s exaggerations in the opening of every episode of the “reality show”. It would have been better to make up a character for Robert Irvine, like they did for the Chairman’s nephew or another network did for the nannies on Nanny 911. I mean, he was already into self-aggrandizing, why not go all the way and make him out to be some kind of superchef? According to the St. Petersburg article, he already had a knight’s costume… :slight_smile:

From the link in the OP

I mean really. Maybe this is a question for GD or the Pit, but do people actually want and/or believe apologies like this? I lied to get a job and now that I’m found out I am ‘truly sorry’ for misleading people? Whatever.

FWIW, Paula Deen has told two completely different stories about her life, one to Oprah and one to Chefography on Food Network. In the Oprah version, her husband left her saddled with two infant boys and no means to support herself but to walk from office to office selling sandwiches (poor Paula–wipe away tear). In the Chefography version, she started the sandwich business to keep herself busy, her two adult sons did the peddling, and she left her husband when she became uber-successful with her restaurant.

Am I the only one that noticed? The episode of Oprah also featured Taryn Rose and the Sugar Rush guy.

Didn’t she claim paralyzing agoraphobia in one “life story” and not the other, as well?

I watch that show every week. I don’t care about his resume. If they try to cast a new chef in his place, I will not watch it; imagine Good Eats without Alton Brown. Somebody is getting an email tomorrow.

You’re not the only one who noticed. I remember that episode very clearly.

Speaking of Paula Deen, I thought her and Robert Irvine would make a great couple after I saw that Iron Chef episode with both of them. They should do a show together.