Movie with the most future Oscar winners

I’m looking for the movie with the most FUTURE Oscar winners in it. Actors that may have been nominated but hadn’t won until after this movie came out. I also want to rule out movies that the cast won a bunch of Oscars for that specific movie.

It’s harder than I thought to come up with one. I thought of Platoon, but only Oliver Stone and Forest Whitaker had won Oscars since then, and you could eliminate Stone b/c he won for adapted screenplay previously. Berenger, Dafoe, Johnny Depp, etc all nominated but never won.

LA Confidential - only Russel Crowe. Spacey already won, Hanson and Basinger won for this movie (doesn’t count), all the rest nominations only (Pearce, Cromwell, DeVito, Strathairn,

Then there’s Glengarry Glen Ross:
Pacino (won the following year)
Arkin (won in 2007)
Spacey (won in 96 and 2000)
Lemmon - already won. Baldwin and Harris - only nominated.

So that’s my winner so far. 3 future Oscar winners. I know someone can do better.

A Bridge Too Far featured future winners Michael Caine, Sean Connery, Anthony Hopkins, Robert Redford, and Maximilian Schell (who would win an Oscar for another movie released that same year). Gene Hackman (who already had one Oscar but would receive another 15 years later) was also in it. It was directed by future winner Richard Attenborough. That’s 7.

Yep. Much better.

I was actually just discussing this very topic the other night while watching *Boogie Nights *. Only one has actually won an Oscar since it came out, but a whole mess of them have been nominated.

Winners
Phillip Seymour Hoffman - 2006 - Capote
Nominated
**Mark Wahlberg **- 2007 - The Departed
John C. Reilly - 2003 - Chicago
**Julianne Moore **- 2003 - The Hours & Far From Heaven, 2000 - The End of the Affair
Don Cheadle - 2005 - Hotel Rwanda
**Phillip Seymour Hoffman **- 2008 - Charlie Wilson’s War

A Streetcar Named Desire
Vivian Leigh had already won an Oscar (and won again), but Marlon Brando, Kim Hunter, and Karl Malden all won later (all for Streetcar). As a bonus, the movie took 3 of the 4 lead actors from the original Broadway production; the one left out – Jessica Tandy – won an Oscar in 1989.

The Godfather II had Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, Robert DiNiro and Sofia Coppola (in a bit part; she later won a best screenplay Oscar).

12 Angry Men had three future Oscar winners: Henry Fonda, Ed Begley, and Martin Balsam. Lee J. Cobb had already been nominated, but never won.

Stagecoach had three: John Wayne, Clare Trevor, and Thomas Mitchell (for Stagecoach).

Sofia Coppola was the baby in the baptism scene. That was in The Godfather, not II. Was she also in II? Lee Strasberg from II was nominated later.

The IMDB has her in II, too.

If we count nominees, The Godfather has James Caan, too, as well as Marlon Brando (who had already won, but won a second time for The Godfather). However, no DiNiro, so II has a one more future winner who hadn’t won before.

How’s’about The Longest Day (1962)?

Henry Fonda: special Oscar in 1981, Best Actor 1982
Rod Steiger: Best Actor 1968
John Wayne: Best Actor 1970
Sean Connery: Best Supporting Actor 1988

Four future winners (none of whom had won earlier) and a boatload of future nominees, including Richard Burton who got the nom five times (!) post 1962 but never won.

How about Fast Times at Ridgemont High? Sean Penn, Forest Whitaker and Nicolas Cage. Mind you, only three, but quite early in their careers.

Around the World in 80 Days (1956) had future winners David Niven, John Gielgud, Shirley Maclaine, John Mills, Buster Keaton (honorary award), and Hermione Gingold, plus four previous winners: Frank Sinatra, Charles Coburn, Noel Coward (honorary) and Ronald Coleman.

American Graffiti has four future Oscar winner/nominees.

Richard Dreyfuss (winner)
Ron Howard (winner)
Harrison Ford (nominee)
Kathleen Quinlan (nominee)

plus,
Candy Clark (nominee, but doesn’t count since it was for American Graffiti)

How the West Was Won.

Carroll Baker: nominated
Lee J. Cobb:nominated
Henry Fonda: won
Carolyn Jones: nominated
Gergory Peck: won
Robert Preston: nominated
Debbie Reynolds: nominated
James Stewart: won
John Wayne: won
Richard Widmark:nominated
Walter Brennan: won
Agnes Moorehead: nominated
Thelma Ritter: nominated
Russ Tamblyn: nominated
Spenser Tracy: won
Director, John Ford: won

So,7 Oscar winners and 9 nominees. Too many for me to look into when they won and for what. And I need to get some sleep.

Who did Cage play?? :confused:

The 1984 film The Bounty had:

Mel Gibson
Daniel Day-Lewis
Liam Neeson
Anthony Hopkins

Plus Olivier had a small role.

Course, it was also directed by the guy who directed Cocktail, so maybe that’s a wash

But only Fond, Wayne, and Peck won Oscars after the film.

Gingold never won.

But previous winner Victor McLaglen was also in the film.

He had a bit part as an employee at a fast food restaurant, IIRC.

He’s credited as Nick Coppola.

MiM

I remember him as one of the stoners that rolled around in the smoke filled van with Spiccoli and his “bud’s”. I think Cage might have only had one scene.

** The Big Chill**

Tom Berenger - Nominated
Glenn Close - Nominated (many times)
Jeff Goldblum - Nomintated
William Hurt - Won
Kevin Kline - Won
Meg Tilly - Nominated
JoBeth Williams - Nominated
Kevin Costner - Won (scenes cut)
all in all, a pretty impressive cast and a good movie too :slight_smile: