The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 03-13-2008, 03:42 PM

Browsers and Foreign Country Web Sites

Any advice on how I can stop my browser (IE) from directing me to the German web site of a company? I live in Germany but my German is nicht so gut. I'm trying to access the Cunard site but no matter how many times I type in Cunard.com, I get sent to Cunard.de. And there's no button to change the language. Any advice would be appreciated!

Yes, I am a Luddite.
Advertisements  
Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM

Try entering: http://www.cunard.com/RegionSelect.asp
Old 03-13-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcaro
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! It lets me go to every single country except the US - I get a "HTTP 400 bad request" message. Jeez, who would think that it would be this hard to spend $4000???!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Chick
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! It lets me go to every single country except the US - I get a "HTTP 400 bad request" message. Jeez, who would think that it would be this hard to spend $4000???!
Hmmm.... that is very strange. I have no problem getting the USA page. Try to reboot and then go again. Can't help more than that... sorry.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Chick
Interesting. It works fine for me too. The 400 error is strange too, and implies a problem on your end (not the server). Do you have any other web browsers you could try? Do you have any weird browser extensions (toolbars/spyware) installed?

You could use a web proxy like Proxify. You'll probably want to uncheck the privacy options (like "Remove all cookies" and "Remove all scripts") if you want to buy something (any kind of shopping cart type application is likely going to require the use of cookies and scripts).
Old 03-13-2008, 06:22 PM

This is an annoyance for me with Google. I am automatically sent to Google Australia, which is normally a good thing as it can be quite useful, but even when I make sure the "Search Australian sites only" button is unchecked, it seems to load up the first returned results with local content. Problem is, if I go to the American home site, it still seems to happen. Normally no dramas, but there are times when it is quite a hassle.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:27 PM

there is a way, a setting somewhere i think.. try to delete all your cookies. let me try and remember.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 AM

No go on any of the suggestions. Damn Germans. It happens with a lot of other sites (itues, E!, etc.) but I'm always able to get back to the US one with some finagling. I'll try the proxy server next but I'm gone for the next three days (unfortunately not back to the US where I can access the site!).

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoadedDog
This is an annoyance for me with Google. I am automatically sent to Google Australia, which is normally a good thing as it can be quite useful, but even when I make sure the "Search Australian sites only" button is unchecked, it seems to load up the first returned results with local content. Problem is, if I go to the American home site, it still seems to happen. Normally no dramas, but there are times when it is quite a hassle.
The url you are looking for is www.google.com/ncr

I assume the ncr stands for no country redirect.

Don't mention it
Old 03-14-2008, 03:22 AM

The Cunard thing would be a boneheaded redirect on the server side, probably based on your IP.

FWIW I also get redirected from http://cunard.com to http://cunard.de (accessing from a German IP address), and I cannot readily find a link to the English language site.

But the UK site http://cunard.co.uk/ does not redirect for me.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princhester
The url you are looking for is www.google.com/ncr

I assume the ncr stands for no country redirect.

Don't mention it
Thanks, but...

It doesn't help. I just tested it out by typing in the generic search "taxi", and the second hit was for Taxis Combined in Sydney. Four of the ten first page results were Australian. I might have to go and take a sledgehammer to my cookies, but I can't see that working for long either.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoadedDog
Thanks, but...
Are you logged into your Google account eg for Gmail or something? Try logging out, and then search via the ncr link.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan
Are you logged into your Google account eg for Gmail or something? Try logging out, and then search via the ncr link.
Aaaaaah.

(Having a "D'oh!" moment here)

That might be the ticket. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:46 PM

You could try going through a proxy. Google "free proxy", and try to find one that doesn't load you down with ads.