The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Best way to remove adhesive residue from skin?

I doubt there's one factual answer to this, hence it's in imho instead of gq.

My doctor recently (about a month ago), my doctor put me on estrogen patches; I wear one for a week, then switch to a new one. The new one has to go in a different place (you can re-use old places, but can't use the same place two weeks in a row). After a week of wearing them, they leave a ring of adhesive residue on my skin.

I've had limited success getting this residue off with alcohol swabs. The alcohol is irritating to my skin. Soap and water seems to do no good at all. I've had some success just rubbing the ball of my fingertip over it again and again until it forms a little glue ball and I can pull it off, but again, this is irritating to my skin.

So what can I use to easily remove the residue, that won't irritate the skin?
Advertisements  
Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norinew

So what can I use to easily remove the residue, that won't irritate the skin?
Did you try some mineral/baby oil? That's always worked for me. Just a bit on a cotton ball; dab it on and let it sit a few minutes, then rub it off gently.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:48 AM

I used patches for a year, not estrogen, and I never came up with a way to remove the adhesive that wasn't irritating. Two weeks after the patch was moved some adhesive was still present, unless you finally rubbed it off. I'll be watching if anybody does have a non-irritating way to remove the adhesive. Even though the adhesive is hard to get off your skin the patches fell off days early, until I started putting them under the elastic band in my underwear. The patch falls off, but the glue sticks to you, that's messed up.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

If you're having that much trouble I would try lighter fluid, goo gone, nail polish remover, WD-40 or Gasoline. I supose if none of those work, you could take a match to it while it's still damp with one of them.

As I reread what I wrote, I suppose I would start with nail polish remover, then go to lighter fluid. But I'll bet either one of them will work without leaving much smell.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Many bandage adhesives are a solution of rubber in a nonpolar oil. Some kinder and less aggressive solvents that are pretty nonpolar include mineral oil, vegetable oil, petrolatum (for example "Vaseline"), and peanut butter. If you want a more aggressive nonpolar solvent you could try hexane (they sell this, or at least used to sell it, as Carter's Rubber Cement Thinner). I think toluene and xylene also work, though I'm not sure how nonpolar they are. Goof-Off is, I think, one or both of these. You can also buy toluene at Home Depot by the quart. It's street name is "tolly", if that helps.

Water and alcohol and acetone are all pretty polar and probably wouldn't work so well. But, adhesives vary, and so may your mileage.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

I beleive goof off is xylene and goo gone is naptha. Either would work I would guess.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P
As I reread what I wrote, I suppose I would start with nail polish remover, then go to lighter fluid. But I'll bet either one of them will work without leaving much smell.
Carefull with that thing, can be bad.
In my case if my skin touches acetone (nail polish removers AFAIK are mostly that) in just minutes my epidermis peels off, like in, instablister and detachment. So you may want to make a small test before swabing yourself with it.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:28 AM

Also, I have seen in hospitals adhesive removal wipes (look just like alcohol wipes). I googled medical adhesive remover and got a lot of results. These are no doubt designed to be minimally irritating.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 AM

The thing is those solvents irritate the all ready sensitive skin too much. The area is sore where the patch was, and it's almost like a rug burn. Something that soothes a rash and gets rid of the adhesive is what is needed and why this is a hard task.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 AM

Baby oil, as mentioned up thread, should do the trick with minimal irritation.
The skin irritation may be mostly due to the patch itself. It's no easy trick to deliver medicine transdermally, as skin is designed to keep things out. I have sensitive skin and had to give up on the birth control patch for this reason.
Good luck!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophistry and Illusion
Also, I have seen in hospitals adhesive removal wipes (look just like alcohol wipes). I googled medical adhesive remover and got a lot of results. These are no doubt designed to be minimally irritating.
Those wipes use the same citrus and petroleum based solvent as Goo Gone.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Well, there are some good tips here. I knew I could count on you guys! I think I'll start by trying first mineral oil, followed by vegetable oil (if the mineral oil doesn't work). These are where I'll start because I happen to already have both in my house.

I just put a new patch on this morning, but still have residue from last week's patch, and from the week before that!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:28 AM

I'm on IV antibiotics and have a lovely sticky plastic patch on my arm, and the home care nurse told me that it's counter-intuitive, but just plain gauze removes stickiness. I've never tried it, though, so I can't vouch for its efficacy. And she might also have just been talking about the particular kind of patch I have, which is why I mention it.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:26 PM

Those premoistened disposable face cloths work great for removing the adhesive from my hysterically over-sensitive skin. Olay Daily Facial is one brand, and there are several more in the skin care aisle at Target & Walmart. I like the kind in the bright green package.

Baby oil works, as does rubbing alcohol, if you don't hate those smells or have a cat who eats cotton balls.

A former coworker claimed Stridex pads are best at removing the gunk left by nicotine patches, but Noxema acne pads are useless. YMMV.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:30 PM

I used to be on the patch, I used almond oil to get the excess residue off my skin. I have very sensitive skin and it worked very well for me. I imagine baby oil would work just as well.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:51 PM

Baby wipes. There's just enough oil in there to get the job done, just barely abrasive enough to scrub effectively, but very gentle, and often with skin soothing stuff in them already.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:01 PM

Have you tried fire?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious Discord
The thing is those solvents irritate the already sensitive skin too much. The area is sore where the patch was, and it's almost like a rug burn. Something that soothes a rash and gets rid of the adhesive is what is needed and why this is a hard task.
Normally, I use acetone wipes or witch hazel to remove the adhesive from a patient's skin, but if they're both too irritating (witch hazel shouldn't be, but if you have very sensitive skin, it may dry it out), you may want to try using Dove body wash in the shower.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

>Baby oil, as mentioned up thread, should do the trick with minimal irritation.

Yes, take Solfy's advice.

I'm pretty sure acetone shouldn't even work very well, as it is much more polar than the oils in most medical bandages. Anybody here having better luck with acetone than mineral oil? And, what are "acetone wipes"? Are they like alcohol wipes? Where do you get them?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:38 PM

Like that, yes. I get them from the second shelf of the supply closet. You should be able to get them at Longs/Walgreen's/Rite Aid, etc.

Last edited by Syntropy; 03-26-2008 at 01:39 PM..
Old 03-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier
>And, what are "acetone wipes"? Are they like alcohol wipes? Where do you get them?
If you look in the drug store with the nail polish remover (right next to the nail polish, as any mother of a teenage girl knows. . .duh!), you'll find nail polish remover wipes; individually packaged. Some are non-acetone (for use with artificial fingernails) some are acetone. I wouldn't be surprised if hardware stores carried them, re-packaged in some way, too. But I know I could find them in the drug store.

I think I'll try mineral oil first, since I have it on hand. Then move to baby wipes if that doesn't work.

Hmmmm. I wonder if the moist flushable bathroom wipes might work, too? I've got those. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Last edited by norinew; 03-26-2008 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Edited for clarity; may not have worked.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

>If you look in the drug store with the nail polish remover...individually packaged. Some ... are acetone.

Well, how splendid! I have to have some! Thanks!

>as any mother of a teenage girl knows. . .duh!

You realize how odd it sounds to me that you know about getting these things in a drugstore and don't know whether and how hardware stores sell them. How differently the other half works, eh?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodyne
Those wipes use the same citrus and petroleum based solvent as Goo Gone.
Well then. So much for my suggestion. Goo Gone would at least be cheaper, probably.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier

You realize how odd it sounds to me that you know about getting these things in a drugstore and don't know whether and how hardware stores sell them. How differently the other half works, eh?
Indeed! Viva la difference!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

My favorite adhesive removal stuff evar:

Detachol

Smells nice, completely non-irritating and it WORKS. I use it mainly to remove bandages from my dogs, who have very thin skin that tears easily. I dribble some on the adhesive and it zips right off. Paraffin is the main active ingredient, IIRC.

You should be able to get it at a drugstore that sells ostomy supplies. It won't cost as much as it says on that site either. I think the last time I got some it was about $5 a bottle, and you won't need much for your purposes.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:25 PM
SDSAB

I'd also say naptha/spot remover, which in moderation isn't irritating to the skin.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:42 PM

Acetone is easily obtained a one of the big box hardware stores. Also good for removing oil, grease, paint, etc. It was the hand cleaner of choice at the glue factory.

Last edited by Will Repair; 03-26-2008 at 04:42 PM..
Old 03-26-2008, 04:50 PM

I wish I'd known about this after I got out of having a 24 hour Holter monitor test done -- I had perfectly round rashes on my torso for a while.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThunder
Have you tried fire?
Don't be ridiculous.

Fire could burn down the whole house and *then* where would she be?

Sandpaper is a much better choice.

Yes, it too could destroy the whole house but you'd have to really work HARD and most people would give up before they'd reduced the place to a pile of wood shavings and dust.

I actually came in here to suggest peanut butter - doesn't run like mineral oil would.

Last edited by Mama Zappa; 03-27-2008 at 04:39 PM..
Old 03-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Ether.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa
I actually came in here to suggest peanut butter - doesn't run like mineral oil would.
Well, now you're just being silly. I would never waste perfectly good peanut butter on such a thing; I'd rather live with the residue!

Anyway, mineral oil doesn't run if you put it on a cotton ball!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:09 PM

Noxema works just as well as mineral oil. I use it to remove the sticky residue that price tags leave on glassware.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa
Sandpaper is a much better choice.
Nah, waste of resources. You don't really need that paper backing, try sandblasting.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P
Nah, waste of resources. You don't really need that paper backing, try sandblasting.
Wow, I don't have much of an ass now. If I sandblasted it every week, 'twouldn't take long to disappear altogether. . .
Old 12-14-2013, 11:46 AM

To remove adhesive residue from your skin, those sticky rings, or squares
I use morroccan argan oil, which I spray on my hair, maybe any oil will do the trick but this is what I used.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:17 PM

Zombie threads are particularly poignant when the OP isn't with us anymore.