What to feed a cat with urinary issues?

My cat has a tendency toward recurring urinary tract infections depending on the types of foods that she eats. For the past couple of years, I’ve been pretty much exclusively feeding her Friskie’s Special Diet Canned Food and it’s held them off pretty well.

Lately, though, it’s become clear that she’s no longer jazzed about this food. They only have five flavors and I think she’s pretty much burned out on all of them - to the point where she’ll eat a few bites and just leave the rest.

Does anyone else have a cat with this issue? And what do you feed them? I’m looking for an alternate canned food (she’s old and is missing some teeth) that I might be able to switch over to at least for a little while.

What, no pics? You know the rule. :slight_smile:

My furpillow (same make and model as depicted here) can eat anything she wants, but it absolutely must be fresh. This means refrigerating unused portions immediately, using a new paper plate (or a clean bowl) for every meal, fresh water twice each day, and washing the water dish with soap every evening. As long as I follow these rules, all is well. If I forget them, BOOM!. UTI.

Our elderly cats are very fond of Purina Pro Plan Urinary Tract Health Formula. You can get it at PetSmart and PetCo.

Irrespective of the food, how’s her water intake? We had a cat that would drink more water (apparently) if it had ice cubes in it. Every cat has her own idiosyncracies (or, if you will, degrees of mental illness :slight_smile: ), so YMMV.

We’ve found that Phoebe stays OK as long as she gets more water than she wants. To that end, we feed her only canned food, and mix enough water in each bowl that it has the consistancy of soup.

Massive :slight_smile: She is also hyperthyroid so she drinks a lot. I got her one of those constant flow water dishes that she drinks out of like a drinking fountain.

I may try giving her different kinds of wet food with water mixed in to see how that goes and I’m definitely checking into that Purina stuff.

Thanks, guys (and girls)!

Oh, and our self-portrait!