What was the electric power frequency in Texas, in the 1930s?

Specifically, in San Antonio and Dallas, in 1936 and 1937.

As I reported in Sage Rat’s thread Slowing Down Robert Johnson, there’s a 51.4 Hz hum in Robert Johnson’s tracks, which were recorded in Nov. 1936 in San Antonio, TX and in June 1937 in Dallas, TX. Some places in the US had 50 Hz power at that time (Mill Creek, CA is the oft-cited example). If the electric power was 50 Hz at that time, the hum would be evidence that the recordings were sped up a little (though nearly not as much as has been suggested). Conversely, if the power was 60 Hz, then I have no idea where the 51.4 Hz hum is from (it’s unlikely the recordings were slowed down 14 percent.)

I’ve read a few papers on the history of electric power and the choices that went into the frequency, but they don’t have that specific of information. I haven’t had any luck with google (too much about health problems involving EM fields from power lines to wade through).

Anyone know anything?

It’s an interesting idea. I wonder if the frequency regulation at the time was poor enough that the supply frequency could reach 51.4 Hz at times. I didn’t find anything through Google either but if you do an advanced search excluding ‘health’ it weeds out a lot of those sites focusing on EM fields.

Good luck finding an answer. CPS bought out the San Antonio Public Service Company (SAPSCo) in 1942.

Damn seldom.

:smiley:

I bet Kenneth knows.

And, strangely enough, you-know-who is from Texas. I think you cracked the case!