File Cabinet drawers stuck - help!

I have a file cabinet that looks almost exactly like this:

Yesterday, all the drawers were open a bit so I pushed them closed. Not really hard, just enough so it slammed just a bit. This morning, I could not open any of the drawers. It’s almost like they’re locked, except there’s no lock on the drawers.

Each drawer is on seperate tracks, and there’s nothing inside that’s big enough that could have fallen in behind to block any of the tracks, let alone all 3 at once. None of them will open even a little. I can wiggle them back and forth a bit, but they won’t budge any further.

There are no screws or nails on the back, sides or bottom. The thing is built like a tank with totally solid surfaces. I tried prying off the top, but that won’t move either.

I tried looking for the make of it so I could at least get a hold of the manufacturer, but there’s no name or product code or anything on it, anywhere.

I’m really frustrated and out of ideas…any suggestions? :frowning:

I don’t know about that type of file cabinet, but ours has a mechanism that keeps you from opening more than one drawer at the same time. At times, I’ve not been able to open a drawer because the other drawer (on a two-drawer cabinet) was somehow engaging the mechanism, even while closed. I would open the offender and re-close, then could open the other drawer. I have no idea if this could be related to your problem, or even how to fix it if it is (besides jiggling, which you’ve been doing).

As mentioned, anti tip-over mechanism usually precludes opening more than one at a time.

Try making sure that all are closed-firmly smack them with the flat of your hand.

Percussive maintinence (whack it with a blunt object) will probably work if it’s the anti-tip mechanism.

I have one that no longer opens also, but with mine, the whole cabinet has gone out of square, and it’s binding the drawers. I can twist it while someone pulls the drawers open. Luckily I hardly ever need to get into it.

The unit is only about 3 ft tall and doesn’t have a locking mechanism - I can open all 3 drawers at once.

I tried lying it down on its back to see if the drawers might open while in a different position - no dice.

I’ll throw in a few more.

Call up some office supply stores and ask for suggestions. Start with the older shops, where somebody’s been there for twenty years.

You’ve tried two of the six sides, bottom and back. There’s four more, and I’m betting on the top.

Lift up one side an inch or two, and drop it.

If you get as far as renting a Milwaukee Sawzall, :eek: I’d go for the left or right side.

That would be the first thing I’d do…but then again, you’re talking to a chick who tends to do the destructive things first.

Good luck at any rate!

Hi,

Has anyone figured this out?! I’m having the same problem. There definitely isn’t anything “blocking” the drawers and none of them will open.

if your cabinet is like mine this could be the issue, all of the drawers have to be closed for one of them to open all have to line up and be flush with the face of the cabinet, this is for safety so the cabinet doesn’t tip over because you can’t open all drawers at once. The drawers have to be closed, but there is a “stop” tab at the back of each drawer, if the tab or tabs for that drawer is missing and the drawer or drawers go in too far, then it goes past the mechanism and it’s the same as if it were open, line all the drawers up flush with the face of the cabinet and one drawer will open. I just bought one of theses used and figured it out and found this thread, it’s a HON cabinet and there are several missing tabs, when I track down where to get replacements I’ll post it here.