The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 04-07-2008, 02:10 PM

File Cabinet drawers stuck - help!

I have a file cabinet that looks almost exactly like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...le/Cabinet.jpg

Yesterday, all the drawers were open a bit so I pushed them closed. Not really hard, just enough so it slammed just a bit. This morning, I could not open any of the drawers. It's almost like they're locked, except there's no lock on the drawers.

Each drawer is on seperate tracks, and there's nothing inside that's big enough that could have fallen in behind to block any of the tracks, let alone all 3 at once. None of them will open even a little. I can wiggle them back and forth a bit, but they won't budge any further.

There are no screws or nails on the back, sides or bottom. The thing is built like a tank with totally solid surfaces. I tried prying off the top, but that won't move either.

I tried looking for the make of it so I could at least get a hold of the manufacturer, but there's no name or product code or anything on it, anywhere.

I'm really frustrated and out of ideas...any suggestions?
Advertisements  
Old 04-07-2008, 02:22 PM

I don't know about that type of file cabinet, but ours has a mechanism that keeps you from opening more than one drawer at the same time. At times, I've not been able to open a drawer because the other drawer (on a two-drawer cabinet) was somehow engaging the mechanism, even while closed. I would open the offender and re-close, then could open the other drawer. I have no idea if this could be related to your problem, or even how to fix it if it is (besides jiggling, which you've been doing).
Old 04-07-2008, 02:39 PM

As mentioned, anti tip-over mechanism usually precludes opening more than one at a time.

Try making sure that all are closed-firmly smack them with the flat of your hand.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 PM

Percussive maintinence (whack it with a blunt object) will probably work if it's the anti-tip mechanism.

I have one that no longer opens also, but with mine, the whole cabinet has gone out of square, and it's binding the drawers. I can twist it while someone pulls the drawers open. Luckily I hardly ever need to get into it.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:38 PM

The unit is only about 3 ft tall and doesn't have a locking mechanism - I can open all 3 drawers at once.

I tried lying it down on its back to see if the drawers might open while in a different position - no dice.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

I'll throw in a few more.

Call up some office supply stores and ask for suggestions. Start with the older shops, where somebody's been there for twenty years.

You've tried two of the six sides, bottom and back. There's four more, and I'm betting on the top.

Lift up one side an inch or two, and drop it.

If you get as far as renting a Milwaukee Sawzall, I'd go for the left or right side.

Last edited by AskNott; 04-07-2008 at 04:00 PM..
Old 04-07-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskNott
If you get as far as renting a Milwaukee Sawzall, I'd go for the left or right side.
That would be the first thing I'd do...but then again, you're talking to a chick who tends to do the destructive things first.

Good luck at any rate!