Stone for a Dog Run

I have a dog run area fenced off next to the house. It’s approx 20’ x 7’. Right now it’s dirt with a little grass, but I want to put down landscape fabric with small stone on top. No grass to trim and no mud.

I’m thinking pea stone, which in my area averages about 3/8" to 1/2" in diameter. It’s river or creek stone and all rounded, no sharp edges.

Anybody using this or similar? I’ll add that the dog only uses the area when it’s early morning or late evening. He’s not out there all day. He gets to go for nice walks during the day when the weather’s good.

Link to obligatory Picture

Snowy looks like a good dog.

I’d go a little bigger size on that river stone, just to lessen the chance of one getting caught in Snowy’s paw pads.

Better idea is to use limestone, which will help with the odor a bit.

We have always used pea gravel and never had a problem with our dogs’ pads. Remember to go very deep- at least 2.5 feet down, 3 if you can. It helps so much with drainage and odor.

I know it’s a ton of gravel, but it’s worth it in the long run.

Do you excavate for that?

I appreciate the responses. I was thinking about 5" or so of rock. My wife cleans up the solids shortly after they are deposited, and as I said, he’s only out there when he can’t be walked because of weather or lack of opportunity. I’m sure not planning on going several feet deep!

The reason for the rock, from my point of view anyway, is to eliminate the grass trimming and mud.

No opinion on the stone, but the dog is sooooo sweet looking!

Eh, no, just a husband and a shovel! :slight_smile:

I mean, do you dig up three feet of earth in the yard, or pile gravel up three feet high?

I’m afraid that I’m going to take the easy way, but not always the best way, out. Going to level the ground and remove the existing grass and weeds. Then apply overlapping sections of landscaping fabric and add three or four inches of rock.

If I’d thought about it before adding the fence I could have used the box blade on the tractor to remove additional dirt.

Pea gravel is widely used for dog runs including the guide dog school I volunteer for.

Zombie dogs…

StG

Saw that this thread had been resurrected, so thought I’d provide an update.

Run is still grass and dirt, and I’m still mowing it on a regular basis.

Snowy, the dog, is still cute as the dickens and a pleasure to have around.:smiley:

So the last post before mine is over 3 years old??? I never go digging back in the old threads. The thread was near the top bolded like all the other current threads. I innocently added my 2 cents without looking at the date of the previous post. Did a post get deleted? Is there a bug that revives zombies?

Frankly I spend too much time here and have no need to dig up threads best left buried.

A post definitely got deleted. It had a link to a product. I strongly suspect it was well-written spam.