Ark Of The Covenant = Big Capacitor?

Is it possible that the Ark Of The Covenant was an electrical capacitor?

This somewhat cheesy interactive web page at Discovery.com presents the theory:

I see this as a General Question, discussing technical reasons why it could or could not have been. But if it plays out as a Debate, of course the mods may move it (not that they need my permission).

MODERATOR NOTE: Please be aware that this thread is from Nov 2000, until resurrected in Post #11 in June 2014. That’s OK, it’s not a rules violation, we just want any one reading to be aware of the situation. Don’t get worked up over something someone said 14 years ago, that person may not even be around any more to talk to (although some of the posters, interestingly, still are here…) Anyhow, just wanted to alert y’all. – Dex

Well, that site’s…interesting. I always thought it was a box…they put the tablets of the Law in there. I guess my first question would be, where’s the power source? The Ark is also credited with some non-electric miracles…like giving the Philistines hehmroids when they win it in battle. …so I’d say no on the capacitor.

Sometimes a large-capacity capacitor will charge itself just sitting there. You always discharge the big ones before handling them if they’ve sat there a while, otherwize, you can get a surprisingly strong zap.

On the other hand, I can think of no way a capacitor could give you hemmorhoids. Just as well, if you ask me.

~~Baloo

You might try: What ever happened to the Ark of the Covenant?

The worthy author of that particular Mailbag Answer did touch on the question of whether the Ark could have been a huge transmitter, and dismissed such speculation as “imaginative.”

The Ark was NOT a weapon of war, but an inspiration to the troops. A similar battle victory occurs in the Biblical stories when Moses stands on a high location, with his hands raised, so the people can see him… and they are winning the battle. When he gets tired and lowers his arms, they start losing; two others help him hold his hands up. This is not something magical or electrical or nuclear about Moses’ arms, but psychological – the physical reminder that God is with you is a terrific boost to soldiers’ morale.

I remember this one from way back. Erich von Daniken suggested it in one of his books, although I’d not be surprised to find that it was suggested before him. IIRC, van Daniken quoted things from the Bible that weren’t actually in the Bible. Besides, as noted above, capacitors don’t do the things people claim for the Ark.

For interesting speculation about the construction and nature of the Ark, see Elias Auerbach’s book “Moses”, and the book “Who Wrote the Bible” (Unfortunately, I forget the name of the author, but I’m sure it’s on Amazon)

Sure it was. Don’t you read the bible?

:smiley:

Zev Steinhardt

God’s a Yankees fan?

No wonder they do so well.

No, no, no… the Devil is a Yankees fan.

You never saw the play DAMN YANKEES nor read the book on which it was based, THE YEAR THE YANKEES LOST THE PENNANT ?

God is obviously a Cubs fan, that’s why we are enjoined to be long-suffering.

I visited the site, and watched the pretty Flash presentation. I wonder who came up with this idea.

Okay, just to look at some of the technical/historical aspects …

The claim is that the capacitor’s plates were an outer coating of gold and an inner coating of gold, with acacia wood as a dielectric. The two cherubim on the top could have been positive and negative terminals. Also, the poles used to carry it served as insulators from the “deadly” (see below) charge on the box.

The only record that I know of is the detailed account of the ark’s construction in Exodus 25. The description of the main box is correct (lined inside/outside with gold), but the cover (“mercy seat” in KJV) was to be of solid gold (Ex. 25:17).

There’s no mention of the cherubim being installed differently (to be of opposite polarity, one would need to be insulated from the outer plate and sunk into the inner plate somehow).

The carrying poles were to be overlaid with gold just as the ark was, which makes it unlikely that they were used to insulate anything.
So, even if the details were off, what would it be like if such a giant capacitor were to be made?

Ignoring the stuff at the corners, the sides are all approximately parallel plate capacitors. Let’s let the top be of the same construction (gold plating with acacia-wood dielectric).

Allowing a rather generous 50 cm for a cubit, the long sides were (2 1/2 cubits) 1.25 m and the width and height were (1 1/2 cubits) .75 m . This gives a total area of 4.1 m[sup]2[/sup]. We can’t be sure of the thickness of the wood, but for now, allow 2 cm of wood.

A parallel plate capacitor with a dielectric which has a relative dielectric constant of eps[sub]r[/sub] has capacitance :

C = eps[sub]r[/sub]*eps[sub]0[/sub] * (Area / separation distance)

It may be true that the mysterious acacia wood is of unknown dielectric constant, but almost all wood is around 2 at the most.

Plugging in these numbers (along with the permittivity of free space (eps[sub]0[/sub]) = 8.84x10[sup]-12[/sup] F/m),

we get a capacitor of about 3.5 nF (that’s nanoFarads, 10[sup]-9[/sup]). By comparison, the power supply capacitors in most electronics are in the 10-40,000 uF range (10 million times greater). That’s just to show the relative size and potential of modern capacitors. Because the deadliness of the shock depends on the charge stored, and charge stored is voltage * capacitance, the breakdown voltage of the dielectric is important.

Even if the wood were of an unusually high dielectric, or they used distilled water instead of wood (eps[sub]r[/sub] = 80 or so), that only gives an 40-fold increase, to about .1 uF . We won’t bother asking how they plated the gold onto the water.

Such a capacitor, needless to say, would hardly hold enough charge to kill a hedgehog before breaking down. (I think a lightning bolt discharges about 20 Coulombs. To put that on the arkapacitor, you’d need to apply about 6 billion volts. The acacia wood would not be able to withstand such a voltage before breaking down and conducting. Moreover, if the cherubim on top were terminals, it’d be tough to get lightning to jump off the box to anywhere, since they’re pretty close together.)

And that’s ignoring all the other things already mentioned that the ark accomplished as the symbol of the Lord’s presence.

Okay, that’s enough silly speculation. Like I said, I wonder who came up with the idea. I wonder if they got paid for it, too.
Ex. 29:46
And they shall know that I am the LORD their God, who brought them forth out of the land of Egypt that I might dwellamong them; I am the LORD their God

Oh come on, any Mel Brooks fan knows that’s not why Moses had his hands up.

The main clue was always thought to be that it killed Uzzah, which fits this theory - except for the wimpy capacitance. Now I spot that his death was probably due to ergot poisoning (many symptoms of severe ergot outbreaks are associated with bread, “threshing floors” where affected grain would be processed and kick up billows of ergot dust, etc.). The association of the horrible - and psychedelic - effects of ergot were not publicly “known” until the 1820s. Jesus totally explained it but cryptically. I believe the Hebrew priests figured it out in Egypt and used a coming outbreak to terrorize Pharaoh into releasing them. I’ve got about 80 pages of scripture & analysis just about done, the below being part of a long pattern.

2 Samuel 6
6 And when they came to Nachon’s threshingfloor, Uzzah put forth his hand to the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the oxen shook it (my note: they too being affected?).
7 And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for his error; and there he died by the ark of God.

Thus showing how long a capacitor can hold a charge…

You do know that the Indiana Jones movies aren’t real, right? :dubious:

zombie or no

couldn’t do that with the Holy Dielectric.

Adam Savage of Mythbusters can tell you from first hand experience.

The symptoms of ergot poisoning were known for centuries before that. They were called (IIRC) Saint Anthony’s Fire. People who grew rye knew what ergot looked like and what it could do.

I’m wondering why the dumbass OP thinks the ark was even a real thing in the first place. Is there any reliable reference to the thing, or just a book that is well-known to contains myths? Who was the dumb schmuck who started this thread… Ah, darn.

Serious answer to your joke:

There were other arks, quite similar to that described in the Bible, in Egypt and Arabia. The Israelis could have built one if they chose, and had the wealth to plate it with gold. It would seem odd to build a Holy of Holies Sanctuary just to leave it empty!

Where did the Ark get its powers, if any? I don’t know. LSD might be an answer, more plausible than some.

The OP must be the braaaainzzzz of the organization here… :slight_smile:

2 things

Ergotamine isn’t quite LSD. OTTOMH Ergotamine causes fever, foaming at the mouth and other side effects.

How would a hallucinogenic explain things?