So what, roughly, is the dealer markup on a $20000 car in Canada?

We may have to add a new car to the stable this year, so I thought, hey, the new thing is to find the dealer invoice price. Then you know how much the dealer’s trying to chisel out of you.

Well, guess what? In Canada, you can’t find it. There are services that charge you like $40 a pop. Well, to hell with that.

So let’s suppose I want to buy a Hyundai Elantra, which has an MSRP of about $20,900 for the trim level I want.

1. What would the dealer invoice price be, or probably be?
  2. Would this be consistent across different car makes? For instance, would a $2100 Chevy, Toyota and Hyundai all have roughly the same markup?
  3. If I CAN’T cite the invoice price will they try to scam me?

Well its been a while since my family owned a dealship however it migh be a disappointment to know that it should be between $1200 to $1800. They dont make a lot of money on new cars. The worst time of my life was as a young guy thinking I could get a car for half price! there are some rebates and such to the factory howvever the real money is in used cars and service. It does scale up tho, a car the sells for 50,000 will have a much larger profit margin. I know that tons of people will disagree with me but how many of them actually saw the books?
Its pretty much the same for all brands. If you want to get a good idea of the price then say you want to lease from te company, say GMAC. That way they cant play with the price a whole lot, they make money on bugus crap, undercoating etc. I just bought a 2008 Hyundai Elantre and the box people (where you got to complete the financing) want me to get undercoating. So sad to say that since they come overseas they already are undercoated. (most models). Zero finacning and zero down cant be beat…
If you are naive they will scam you for sure, they are into it to make money. Keeps saying no to any, any, any ----------- add ons.

good luck

Hvae you tried Edmunds? :confused: