Who knows about shipping human ashes?

I need to ship my parents ashes from Florida to Massachusetts before August. My shipping clerk at work tells me that Fed Ex and UPS will NOT ship them. Anybody have any experience of this kind? I’m asking because I won’t be able to personally transport them. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

The US Postal Service will ship them. I don’t have time to look further, but I rather suspect UPS and FedEx have similar policies. They’re just ashes, ferchrissake, not C4. Personally, I’d probably just ship them normally, without any special markings. How’s anyone going to know?

Last time I was in this position, the Post Office had no problems at all accepting a shoebox-sized cardboard box to be mailed somewhere.

I think your shipping clerk is full of beans though - FedEx does prohibit shipment of biohazardous materials such as blood, body fluids or tissue samples, but human ashes (also called cremains) are well, ashes. AFAIK, they are inert and not biohazardous.

A search at fedex.com and at ups.com brings up no hits on cremains or ashes.

It is possible that the shippers will not insure cremains, but that’s a different issue than not accepting them for shipment.

ETA: Looking at Q.E.D.'s link, it appears the primary concern is that they’re messy if spilled. The last time I shipped ashes, the ashes themselves were in a sealed plastic bag, inside a “shipping urn” (really just a durable plastic box) that was also sealed with tape, another sealed bag, and finally, the outer cardboard box.

As he said, just bring a nice neat cardboard box, and nobody will look twice at it.

It was my understanding that in the United States, only the U.S. Postal Service with ship cremains interstate (or intrastate for that matter). It has to be in a sealed container that can withstand shipping (so no shoeboxes) and you have to label the package as cremains somehwere near the address, I think.

It’s best to ship with one of the mail services that will give you a registered mail receipt and return receipt. You can probably get all the info you need from your postmaster.

Googling “shipping cremains” suggests that USPS has a procedure for shipping cremains, although a search at usps.gov came up empty.

Thanks for the replies. I will check with my post office tomorrow. The ashes are in heavy-duty sealed plastic boxes. From what I was told, insuring them was another matter altogether since no value can be placed on them.

Any licensed funeral home can advise you, though they probably will try to sell you their services.

I agree.

Convert them to artificial diamonds. Then you can ship them as insured precious gems.

Looks like there are plenty of yummy beans to go around. Both Fedex and UPS specifically prohibit the shipment of cremated human remains:

Fedex:

UPS (PDF):