The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 05-23-2008, 05:15 PM

Is cocaine legal in Japan?

I just happened across this site: http://www.taima.org/en/jamm.htm
scroll down to "hemp in Japan", and it says something about morphine and cocaine being legal medicine in Japan. Is this true? I can go to Japan and get a prescription for cocaine?
Advertisements  
Old 05-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Can't you get a prescription for cocaine in the States... under certain very controlled circumstances?
Old 05-23-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unspun
I just happened across this site: http://www.taima.org/en/jamm.htm
scroll down to "hemp in Japan", and it says something about morphine and cocaine being legal medicine in Japan. Is this true? I can go to Japan and get a prescription for cocaine?
I can't find anything on Japan, but it is legal with perscription in many nations including the United States (with severe restrictions).

Cite
Old 05-23-2008, 05:43 PM

I think cocaine is used in ophthalmology.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmNPrickly
I think cocaine is used in ophthalmology.
When I had my nose cauterized (due to chronic nosebleeds ironically) my ENT mentioned that he was using a cocaine-based gel to numb the area.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867
When I had my nose cauterized (due to chronic nosebleeds ironically) my ENT mentioned that he was using a cocaine-based gel to numb the area.
I had a bad nosebleed a couple weeks ago and had to go to the ER; they used lidocaine on me. I'd lost a couple pints of blood, and had passed out in the ER. That scared them a bit -- they immediately gave me a CT scan and an IV. Ended up costing about $5000 total; insurance will pick up some portion of that (probably about 1/3 based on my past experience).

I've had lots of smaller nosebleeds & bruises lately, as I've been taking Plavix and aspirin since my angioplasty in March. As for cocaine, I've been given cocaine hydrochloride drops at the ophthalmologist; funny, because MedicineNet says that cocaine HCl is not to be used in the eyes.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unspun
and it says something about morphine and cocaine being legal medicine in Japan.
And none of the prior posters have addressed the issue of morphine because we expect the legality of morphine, as a painkiller for extreme pain from injury or illness, to be almost common knowledge. "legal medicine" means exactly what it says: it's legal to use this substance for treatment of a medical condition when applied in an authorized form and dosage under the direction of a competent practitioner, as defined by the law.

So you need not go to Japan to get a 'script for either. Just show up at any hospital with an injury or illness for which use of morphine or cocaine is indicated. You will NOT be handed a container with powdered cokeHCl/cornstarch mix to take home and sniff, though: the nurse attending you will get a vial of either injectable or topical application product to administer to you.