Why isn't holistic spelled with a W?

I searched here and couldn’t find anything relevant. My understanding of the meaning of the word, holistic, is that it implies completeness, broad approaches, and an appreciation of or attention to the whole. So, why isn’t the word “wholistic”? Or is there a different etymology that explains this? (I feel as if I’ve read something about this in Pinker, but I can’t find that, either.) Any help, dopers? xo, C.

Holistic is derived from the Greek holos meaning whole.

Whereas “whole” is derived from Germanic roots — hál in Old English, for example.

Yeah, actually, the ‘w’ in ‘whole’ is completely unetymological. Some busybody of a scribe put it there because he thought it looked right, or something.

Damn im. Damn im to ell!

If you like to spell it that way, go right ahead. Evidently, and rightly so according to some learned of this board, if you do and it catches on, then you are defacto correcto.

The ‘w’ in worthless is silent.

Interestingly, “wholistic” is the spelling used (perhaps most) frequently in Australia.

Just a cultural thing I guess, like we spell tires as tyres.

M

And it *would * be correct…

…*if * you can get past all those ifs.

But you can’t, and won’t.

And that’s what separates our position from yours. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ooh, another prescriptivist vs. descriptivist debate! Let me set up my lawn chair and grab some popcorn.

I’d say that holistic is more common than wholistic, but I’ve certainly seen the latter. The Macquarie Dictionary notes its incorrectness but accepts that it’s now sufficiently widespread to have become an acceptable variant:

I think, in this case, it’s Smut’s spelling that should stand, and he spelled it with no w, AFAIK.