The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 05-29-2008, 03:25 PM

Pay At the Pump - Why Such a Pain?

Why does it take so long to authorize a payment at the pump?

Me last night......

- Swipe card
- Authorizing....... Up to $100?
- Press yes/no
- No
- enter amount
- 50.00 <enter>
- Chequing/Savings?
- Savings
- Airmiles extra super duper club member card?
- Press yes/no
- No
- Car wash today?
- Press yes/no
- No
- Receipt?
- Press yes/no
- No
- Enter PIN
- xxxxx (At which point I realize there's no "beep" confirmation for each digit pressed.)
- Enter (Then I realize I entered 5 digits. I entered the first one twice since there was no damned beep confirmation!)
- Authorizing......
- Authorizing......
- Authorizing......
- Authorizing......
- Authorizing...... (for like what seemed like 10 minutes but was probably only 30 seconds.)

- Wrong PIN
- See cashier
- See cashier
- See cashier
- See cashier

(Pump gets reset by someone inside.)

- Swipe card
- No
- enter amount
- 50.00 <enter>
- Chequing/Savings?
- Savings
- Press yes/no
- No
- Car wash today?
- Press yes/no
- No
- Receipt?
- Press yes/no
- No
- Enter PIN
- xxxx
- Enter
- Authorizing......
- Authorizing......
- Authorizing......
- Authorizing......
- Authorizing...... (for like what seemed like 10 minutes but was probably only 30 seconds.)

Pump is authorized for $50.00. Please select fuel and begin filling. Finally, but then at 49.00 the pump slows down to like one-penny-per-second mode as I stand there for one final minute waiting for the thing to finish.

Gah! Is it any wonder I hardly ever pay this way. If you pay inside it's like a 3 step function:

- Swipe
- Savings
- PIN

Gone.

I have a feeling that having the option to pump then pay here in Ontario will vanish soon as the price of gas has caused a lot more "gas and dash" episodes lately. This sucks if you're filling up though and have no idea exactly how much gas you will require. What do you do, leave your license inside?
Advertisements  
Old 05-29-2008, 03:28 PM

They're getting us used to the idea of filling out credit applications at the pump.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Go Browns!

They want you to come inside to buy candy and snacks, because that's where the profit for the individual stores is.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan

Me last night......

- Swipe card
- Press yes/no
- No
- enter amount
- 50.00 <enter>
- Chequing/Savings?
- Savings
- Press yes/no
- No
- Car wash today?
- Press yes/no
- No
- Receipt?
- Press yes/no
- No
- Enter PIN
- xxxxx (At which point I realize there's no "beep" confirmation for each digit pressed.)
- Enter (Then I realize I entered 5 digits. I entered the first one twice since there was no damned beep confirmation!)
- Authorizing......
- Authorizing......
- Authorizing......
- Authorizing......

- Wrong PIN
- See cashier
- See cashier
- See cashier
- See cashier

(Pump gets reset by someone inside.)

- Swipe card
- No
- enter amount
- 50.00 <enter>
- Chequing/Savings?
- Savings
- Press yes/no
- No
- Car wash today?
- Press yes/no
- No
- Receipt?
- Press yes/no
- No
- Enter PIN
- xxxx
- Enter
- Authorizing......
- Authorizing......
- Authorizing......
- Authorizing......

Pump is authorized for $50.00. Please select fuel and begin filling. Finally, but then at 49.00 the pump slows down to like one-penny-per-second mode as I stand there for one final minute waiting for the thing to finish.

Gah! Is it any wonder I hardly ever pay this way. If you pay inside it's like a 3 step function:

- Swipe
- Savings
- PIN

Gone.

I have a feeling that having the option to pump then pay here in Ontario will vanish soon as the price of gas has caused a lot more "gas and dash" episodes lately. This sucks if you're filling up though and have no idea exactly how much gas you will require. What do you do, leave your license inside?
Well, it's:
-Swipe
-Enter ZIP code
-Choose grade of gas
-Pump

almost everywhere in the States.

As far as
Quote:
This sucks if you're filling up though and have no idea exactly how much gas you will require. What do you do, leave your license inside?
goes, the way it used to work is you'd leave your credit card...
Old 05-29-2008, 03:37 PM

It goes faster if you use a credit card from the same gas company as the pumps. I actually have one of those Exxon Speed Pass key fob things. Works like a charm. I was a little peeved when Exxon instituted the "enter your zip code" question at the pump but I figured it was a small price to pay in case I ever lose my keys.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:38 PM

Leaffan isn't using a credit card but is using a debit card.

And that's why I don't use my debit card to pay for gas. Credit card is the way to go and up here you even get to skip the ZIP code step.

Just swipe, grade of gas and you're good to go.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:43 PM

How do you enter a valid zip code if you're not from the States? Or does this only come up after swiping a valid U.S. credit card?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:46 PM

You can't. And that's why I couldn't get onto the New York subway. The stupid little machine that you buy your pass from only took credit cards.

Last edited by Kid_A; 05-29-2008 at 03:46 PM..
Old 05-29-2008, 03:48 PM

BTW, the "enter ZIP code thing" is fairly recent - no more than 2 years.
It's to cut down on stolen credit card usage.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How do you enter a valid zip code if you're not from the States? Or does this only come up after swiping a valid U.S. credit card?
I was wondering this too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_A
You can't. And that's why I couldn't get onto the New York subway. The stupid little machine that you buy your pass from only took credit cards.
So tourists are SOL? Niiiice.

Last edited by Sunspace; 05-29-2008 at 03:57 PM..
Old 05-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And that's why I don't use my debit card to pay for gas. Credit card is the way to go and up here you even get to skip the ZIP code step.
At more and more gas stations around here, if you blindly stick your ATM card into the pump, it will default to credit, and you'll pay an extra five cents per gallon over the cash inside or debit at the pump price.

I'm quite used to doing debit - at some stations, it's actually the only option. (Costco's gas stations only accepts debit or Amex. No cash, Visa or Mastercard.)
Old 05-29-2008, 04:03 PM

Most of the machines in the subway will take cash too, but there are some that are CC only. In that instance you would need to pay at the booth. It is a bit inconvenient though, to be sure.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Smart, Hip, Dipstick

[Jerseyite]
Ha-Ha!
[/Jerseyite]
Old 05-29-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace
I was wondering this too.So tourists are SOL? Niiiice.

That's why you're living in America's Hat.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 PM

At my local pump (Tesco) it's

- Enter card
- Enter PIN and press OK
- Remove card, Display says "Begin fuelling, max £60"
- Pump fuel
- Display says "Reinsert card for receipt" - but this is optional and you can just drive off if you don't want a receipt.

Simple.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Easy with cash.
  1. Enter pump number
  2. Insert $25 cash
  3. Pump fuel
  4. Access receipt
  5. Drive away

I use dollar-cost averaging. By refilling my tank once a week or so, I don't use as much cash, take advantage of any price fluctuations, never get hindered by card fees (that can add as much as five cents a gallon to the cost of fuel) and know when I drive off, I won't get a bill in the mail for a gazillion dollars just for refueling.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:

There is a little notice pasted onto the card reader on the gas pumps around here:

"For card verification purposes, your zip code may be requested. If your card was issued in a foreign country, please go inside and complete the transaction with the person on duty."

Ed
Old 05-29-2008, 05:34 PM

I go to the same 2 gas stations almost always (one by my house, one in boyfriend's city 2 hours away). Different type of station, but always just:

-Press payment type (inside, outside debit, outside credit)

I hit 'outside credit'

-Receipt yes/no?

Hit no usually

-Remove pump lift lever begin fueling

I begin fueling

Then when I am done, I make sure the screen resets to 'select payment type' then I drive away.

On the rare occasions I get gas somewhere else, the only other thing I've been accosted by is the:

-Car wash yes/no?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster
Easy with cash.
  1. Enter pump number
  2. Insert $25 cash
  3. Pump fuel
  4. Access receipt
  5. Drive away

I use dollar-cost averaging. By refilling my tank once a week or so, I don't use as much cash, take advantage of any price fluctuations, never get hindered by card fees (that can add as much as five cents a gallon to the cost of fuel) and know when I drive off, I won't get a bill in the mail for a gazillion dollars just for refueling.
$25 wouldn't last me a week. maybe two days. And do most of you bother with a receipt unless you're getting reimbursed?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Easy with cash.
  1. Enter pump number
  2. Insert $25 cash
  3. Pump fuel
  4. Access receipt
  5. Drive away

Your gas pump accepts cash? I have never seen this. Amazing! I afraid I don't know what dollar-cost averaging is.

I use a debit card. One gas station goes like this:

1: insert and remove card
2: receipt yes/no
3: lift handle of proper grade and pump gas.
4: return handle
5: take receipt and go

the other one goes like this:

1: Hi, Mrs. Mistress. What can I do for you today?
2: Fill it up please, Corey.
3: that will be XX dollars, ma'am. Do you need anything else?
4: No, here's my card.
(30 seconds)
5:Here's your receipt. Have a nice day.

Ok, I pay a little more for the second one.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:10 PM

I've used 99999 (not my ZIP code) at KMart and the transaction still goes through. This was when I thought it was for info gathering, not verification, and didn't feel like giving my info.

But yeah, even with a debit card at the pump, it's nowhere near as painful as in the OP.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
You're screwed. and you have to go inside. I've had it happen a lot.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbth
Most of the machines in the subway will take cash too, but there are some that are CC only. In that instance you would need to pay at the booth. It is a bit inconvenient though, to be sure.
It was a perfect storm of inconvenience. The machines that took cash were out of order and there was no one working the booth. We had to walk down the next station to get in.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

I always use my debit card as a credit card. No problems using it at any of the stations I have tried.

OTOH, stopped at a station Sunday that ticked me off. They had a sign, "Prepay or Pay at Pump", I missed that, so I put my card in and hit the Pay Inside button. They used the speaker to point out the sign, so I went inside to prepay. I tried to hand them my card to prepay and the attendant told me they couldn't do prepay with a card inside, only at the pump. So I go back to the pump, and there is no option anywhere to prepay, just pay inside or pay at the pump. So the only way to actually prepay there was to go inside and use cash.

I understand why they have pre-pay and don't mind doing it, but if they are going to insist on it, they need to make it easier for the customer.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff
BTW, the "enter ZIP code thing" is fairly recent - no more than 2 years.
I remember using it five years ago, but only at one station.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl
They want you to come inside to buy candy and snacks, because that's where the profit for the individual stores is.
I'm gonna go with this theory. I usually try to pay at the pump, because I am very susceptible to baked/fried/oversugared foods. The cupcakes, in particular, will call out to me.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
At the gas station, you just have to bring the card inside if you don't have a zip code. As to the OP, that's a serious pain in the ass. Where I work, you swipe the card, select debit or credit, enter the PIN or zip code, wait about 15 sec for authorization, select grade, and pump.

Joe
Old 05-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Mistress
Your gas pump accepts cash? I have never seen this. Amazing! I afraid I don't know what dollar-cost averaging is.
The stations I frequent have large ATM-like machines, two per island. You enter the pump number, pay with cash, credit card or debit card and then return to your pump to fill the tank. I always pay cash and always a round number (normally it's $20 but I recently bumped it up to $25). If you pay in too much cash, you go inside to get change. That hasn't happened in a while.

I never let the tank get below half full, winter or summer. Otherwise, that's the time something will happen when I will need at least half a tank.

Dollar cost averaging is an investment trick where you always buy the same dollar amount of stock regularly (say once a month), regardless of the share price. That way (assuming the historic rise in share prices) you always come out ahead. By using the same concept and only spend a fixed dollar amount for gas (no matter what!) it forces discipline to maintain a full tank and be prudent in driving, be it speed and cutting down on frivolous trips. I combine the journey home from work to pick up groceries and do odd things. If it's not done at that time, it must wait until the weekend, no matter what. The only exception is life or death. OTOH, my wife fills her tank with a credit card at Costco. Other than that, her driving habits are the same as mine - no more frivolous driving.

It all comes down to discipline. The side benefit is we don't waste money on frivolous things with frivolous journeys. We're already beginning to budget for $7.50/gallon gas prices and I'm already looking ahead to $10/gallon prices.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:

Bring your license and card inside. I match the license with the card, hold the card inside until you finish pumping, then you come inside to sign. Some people don't like to leave their cards. Oh, well.

Joe
Old 05-30-2008, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know, but I wish whoever had come up with the lengthy process we seem to have here in Canada for "pay at the pump" would have taken our climate into account. Nothing like standing there in -30 temps answering a bunch of questions, each of which is followed by "Please wait...."
Old 05-30-2008, 04:55 AM

In Queensland, you fill the car first, then go inside to pay for it. (Yes, people do just fill up and drive off, but 99.5% of motorists do the right thing and pay for their fuel after pumping it)

They do have EFTPOS at pump, but it's not widely used (it never seems to be working at my local garage).

It's also worth bearing in mind we have Discount Dockets on supermarket receipts here good for 4c/litre off petrol. To redeem them you have to go into the store (where they can try and get you with bread and milk and smokes and Red Bull and flowers and soft-core porn mags and all the other things garages make their money off), and then they take the discount off your total fuel purchase- it's not calculated at the pump.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
I always use my debit card as a credit card. No problems using it at any of the stations I have tried.

OTOH, stopped at a station Sunday that ticked me off. They had a sign, "Prepay or Pay at Pump", I missed that, so I put my card in and hit the Pay Inside button. They used the speaker to point out the sign, so I went inside to prepay. I tried to hand them my card to prepay and the attendant told me they couldn't do prepay with a card inside, only at the pump. So I go back to the pump, and there is no option anywhere to prepay, just pay inside or pay at the pump. So the only way to actually prepay there was to go inside and use cash.

I understand why they have pre-pay and don't mind doing it, but if they are going to insist on it, they need to make it easier for the customer.
Bolding mine. What's the difference?

Although I'll agree that it's ridiculous that they can't just open the pump up by securing my card at a lot of stations around here (which seems to be the opposite of the problem you're having?)
Old 05-30-2008, 05:52 AM

Be thankful you can pay outside. Everyone I have seen asks for a ZIP code and I don't have one (I don't live in the US).
Old 05-30-2008, 05:58 AM

FWIW I also could not make a credit card purchase at WalMart as I do not have a ZIP code...

(ok, I hate WalMart, but I needed a few things before flying back to Dubai and they were the only place that was open).

This was about midnight in Cincinnati and I tried to explain to the girl at the desk that in Dubai there are no zip or post codes and that is where I lived. She said they can't take a credit card without a zip code that matches the one on the billing address... but my billing address did not have a zip code.

Do Canadian post codes work in places like this?

Last edited by Desert Nomad; 05-30-2008 at 06:01 AM..
Old 05-30-2008, 07:54 AM

One question: Is the ZIP code linked to the card or does any ZIP code work? If it is linked how does that work? Is it chip and pin with the number stored on the card or does it connect through to the card issuer and check against their database?

On pre-pay, I've never seen this in the UK. To avoid theft I believe most big petrol stations have cameras that photograph number plates before the pump starts to deliver the fuel.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:27 AM

I just stick the fake license plate sticker on my car, pull on the Richard Nixon mask, use a stolen card and drive away.

No hassles really.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon
At my local pump (Tesco) it's

- Enter card
- Enter PIN and press OK
- Remove card, Display says "Begin fuelling, max £60"
- Pump fuel
- Display says "Reinsert card for receipt" - but this is optional and you can just drive off if you don't want a receipt.

Simple.
Hah. For my debit card -
Swipe card.
Pump fuel.
Leave.

At least at the station I frequent.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo Rugger
Bolding mine. What's the difference?

Although I'll agree that it's ridiculous that they can't just open the pump up by securing my card at a lot of stations around here (which seems to be the opposite of the problem you're having?)
Pay at the pump means to swipe the card, they authorize it, then charge you when you are done with your purchase. Pre-Pay is basically what Duckster does. Give them a set amount of money, either cash, credit, or debit, then the pump shuts off when it gets to that amount.

I actually would have normally just paid outside, but wanted to purchase something to drink and I didn't want to make multiple purchases on my card. (Irrational pet peeve, but then I am an irrational person. ) So I paid outside and left, and they lost money because they made things more difficult then they needed to.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Here it's just:
1. Swipe card
2. Authorizing
3. Pump Gas
4. Would you like a receipt?

Unless the place has a car wash and they have to ask about that, too.

I've never heard of this zip code requirement. Must be a California thing.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords
At more and more gas stations around here, if you blindly stick your ATM card into the pump, it will default to credit, and you'll pay an extra five cents per gallon over the cash inside or debit at the pump price.
Quote:
By refilling my tank once a week or so, I don't use as much cash, take advantage of any price fluctuations, never get hindered by card fees (that can add as much as five cents a gallon to the cost of fuel)
These are both confusing to me. First, debit generally costs the merchant less than credit (which is why Costco and Arco don't accept credit cards), so it doesn't make sense that the pumps default to credit. Hell, it seems like every time I use my credit card in person, the clerk will ask me "Debit?" first. Presumably their script is such because some people will just say "whatever" and the merchant will save $0.25, or something. Second, while I've seen additional fees for debit cards at some pumps (Arco, mainly), I've yet to see an additional fee for a credit card.

In fact, my credit card gives me 6% back on gas purchases. If you're having to pay extra to use a card, I suggest looking for a different card (or different station). Even if I didn't get a kickback, I'd rather use the card because receiving a bill once a month is far easier than going to the bank regularly to make sure I have enough cash to pay for things.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:35 PM

I always did think that operating a gas pump was getting to be more and more like operating a computer. The OP is the most extreme example I've seen. Of course, pay at the pump is relatively new around here, I guess they'll get the more complicated pumps eventually.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3=
Second, while I've seen additional fees for debit cards at some pumps (Arco, mainly), I've yet to see an additional fee for a credit card.
I believe it is illegal in the US to add a surcharge to credit purchases. HOWEVER, many gas stations, including the one at which I work, give a per-gallon discount for paying with cash. A subtle distinction, at best, but it's legal.

Joe
Old 05-31-2008, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Swipecard, push big button for grade, pump gas, drive off.

Haven't seen any other kind around here.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

When I use my debit card with the pumps at Costco, it goes like this:

(On-screen instructions are to "insert card", and when the card is inserted the instruction changes to "remove card quickly)

1) Insert card, remove quickly

**Please re-insert card**

2) Insert card, remove quickly

3) Insert card, remove quickly

4) Insert card, remove quickly

**See Attendant**

5) Attendant resets the pump, takes my card, inserts it and removes it quickly, and it goes through.

This happens every single time. I think from now on I'm just going to pull up, summon the attendant, hand him my card, and say, "Here, you do it."

After having my debit card declined at the Costco pumps a couple times, I finally found out (from a teller at my bank) that Costco's pumps automatically pre-authorize for $100. Once I learned that, I knew to only attempt to buy gas at Costco on payday or shortly thereafter.

At Safeway, I'm forced to run the card as a credit transaction, because for some reason my bank's debit cards just don't work as debit cards at Safeway's pumps. There, I get to enter my ZIP code for "verification", though around here that's pretty useless. This is a small town with only one ZIP code (though neighboring town's of course have different ZIPs), so probably 95% of the customers are entering the same ZIP. Somebody using a stolen card would be pretty safe entering the local ZIP.

But yeah, I'm done."
(El Goonish Shive)
Old 05-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

I have the citibank mastercard that's affiliated with Petro-Canada, and it doesn't even require swiping, since it can work as a proximity card too. I just hold it up to the pump until it beeps, select the grade and pump. I have the option to take a receipt after. So simple.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Most I have seen are just the "insert card, select grade, pump, leave" type as well, with a yes/no receipt question or car wash question sometimes added. I haven't paid for gas other than with a card at the pump in YEARS.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

- Pull up to pump, roll down window, pass card through it.
- Wait
- Card and receipt come back through window, car is magically filled with gas, card is magically emptied of money.
- Drive off.

(No self-serve gas in Oregon)