Recommend a book for a class of 11th grade students.

Let’s suppose that I have funds to buy a class set of novels for my 11th grade English class. This school is 60% Hispanic, 39% African-American, and 1% White. Many of them read below grade level, but most enjoy the challenge when I give them a book which they consider tough. I’ve taught Lord of the Flies, Of Mice and Men (which they loved), Into Thin Air (which we quit because we all hated it), Monster: Diary of an LA gang member, and Life is Funny.

Most of them were lukewarm to LotF, like OM&M, disliked Monster (too repetitive), and like Life is Funny.

What would you suggest I order for them to read? I’m not against another canonical work, but I would like to throw in something that more of my Hispanic students can identify with. It seems like a lot of YA lit is focused on black culture, or I’m just looking in the wrong place.

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

I’m not sure if this qualifies, but I’ve always enjoyed Kurt Vonegut’s work. “Breakfast of Champions,” “Slaughterhouse Five,” “Slapstick,” “Hocus Pocus,” and so on. The first book I read of his was “Timequake” soon after it had been published. That was the book that hooked me to his work. In High School I did not like to read, but if I would have discovered him earlier in my teen years I probably would have read a great deal more than I did.

There’s a good chance that this is too advanced, but 11th graders might be ready for Love in the Time of Cholera, by Garcia-Marquéz, and the Hispanic kids might like that there are some names and cultural details that are familiar to them. The book is not offputting at all, I didn’t think.

How about The Book Thief by Markus Zusak? It’s not difficult to read – the style is simple and straightforward – but there’s plenty to talk about in the book’s theme and structure.

Another one that the kids could relate to is The Hummingbird’s Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea. It’s based on actual events in Mexico’s history, and has a lot to say about race relations. There’s some sex, but it’s not titillating, in case school administrators worry about that.

I want to second this. It’s a simply written book, and still hugely powerful. I read it first, in ninth grade (Russian History, actually) and everyone in my class found it fascinating reading. Not precisely comfortable, but beautiful. Or perhaps awesome, in the classic sense of the word.

Other suggestions:

Winesburg, Ohio, by Sherwood Anderson: a collection of short stories about turn of the century middle America. (Turn of the twentieth century, that is.) It’s where I first heard the thesis that the grotesque could be beautiful.

If you’re willing to go with a bit of thinking fluff (if that’s not a contradiction in terms) and would enjoy a discussion of Greek/Roman and Egyptian myth to back up the book, you might try Pyramid Scheme by Eric Flint and Dave Freer. Grand fun, and a rather iconoclastic view of some familiar myths. Also the cast has a varied mis of races amongst the characters, removing one potential barrier for your class’ enjoyment. Though, to be fair the main benefit of the book that I can see would be instilling an iconoclastic view of early Mediterranean myth. It’s fun, I’m not sure it’s literature. (Link goes to a complete, free, and legal copy of the book available online, so you can preview if you’re interested.)

Camus’s The Stranger, so everyone identifies! Camus isn’t taught enough in high school, although he seems perfect for it. His works can often be taken at straight value, as a simple, yet compelling, story. He often uses really interesting literary devices if that’s what you happen to be teaching. Or, you can read into them, and find extended metaphors on WWII, modern life, etc. And you can also read up all about absurdism. I think most people go through an absurdist stage, especially in high school through college, so to teach the classics/standards.

We read two in highschool that continue to stick out in my mind, and the majority of my class liked:

Night by Elie Wiesel

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Much of the other stuff we read received lukewarm response, though I think a lot of it was simply because we had to read it, it wasn’t our choice.

Vonnegut was hated by most, as was Ralph Ellison (Invisible Man in particular).

ZebraShaSha, I hope you’ll take this in the spirit it is intended. :wink:

Nooooooooooooooooo!!! Not The Stranger! Anything but The Stranger!
More seriously, if you want to include some absurdist, or existentialist literature, I’d suggest plays.

Jean Paul Satre’s No Exit

Eugene Ionesco’s Rhinoceros, which I think could lead to some lovely classroom discussions.

Jean Anouhil’s Antigone

even Beckett’s Waiting for Godot was more fun than The Stranger.

I teach 11th grade English.

For regular (not AP) kids, I’d suggest:

Ender’s Game (They really like this)
Of Mice and Men
Raisin in the Sun
The Crucible

I have taught these to classes pretty much exactly as you describe and had good success. If they seem to easy, try The Princess Bride and The Great Gatsby. They need more help with those.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky. The kids will love it!

I will say that I had a LOT of trouble with TKAM among this sort of population. The word “nigger” is in there more than you remember, and that turns some kids off when you read aloud (and all the logical reasons why it shouldn’t are meaningless if the kids have shut you out). There is also a lot of assumed prior knowledge about Southern small town life that is lost on these kids. You spend a LOT of time explaining the jokes.

The Toughest Indian in the World by Sherman Alexie
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
Cavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
Lilith’s Brood by Octavia Butler
The White Boy Shuffle by Paul Beatty

Dunno. I like the book. But it’s very “white, emo-kid” bordering on hipster (music, books, and other pop culture stuff mentioned). Not sure if the students in question will be able to relate.

I thought Ivan Denisovich was a bit boring, but that’s just me. Readable though.

What about something by Arturo Perez Reverte?

I’ve taught “Cry the Beloved Country” by Alan Paton (I think that’s spelled correctly), and most of my classes really got into the themes of racial injustice/apartheid and the fact that the boy in the story gets caught up in some bad companions and ends up paying the price. There are several movies that feed into learning about the South African culture that we also watch.

Please tell us that was posted as a joke.

I would not inflict Camus on my worst enemy.

Hemingway. The Old Man and the Sea comes to mind. And he wrote lots of short stories.

Hemingway is dirty and noble and simple in construct; they can relate to the grit and misery; they might find a clue of something outside their lives; they will be able to grasp the vocabulary and sentence structure; you, as a teacher, will probably love it.

Re-read “A Clean, Well-lighted Place”; I’ll bet your students will get that, even if they won’t admit in class.

[I hated Hemingway; left with a choice between Faulkner and Hemingway, I’d learn to knit.]

You might mix it with some Dickens or Scott; both would seem equally exotic to kids, and, in comparison to H., it would touch on the fun and exuberance of language.
A Tale of Two Cities and Ivanhoe come to mind; relatively short, the ‘good guys’ win, and both embody unpopular socio-political sentiments.

Just don’t expect them to read every word, and let them make fun of the characters.

[Aside]
My favorite memory of a presentation at a high school is when one girl declared, “That Medea, she wasn’t wrapped too tight”.

My least favorite is seeing that her instructor was about to correct her.

And my proudest was telling her that she (the student) was right.
[/Aside]

Slaughterhouse Five was one of the many books which in a small way changed my life. Anything by Vonnegut is pretty good. He’s funny, blasphemous, creative; he’ll hold your attention (up yours, Dickens!) and give your brain a heavy thinking spell.

We did Antigone when I was a sophomore. It was a chore. We read it in class. 30+ bored 16 & 17 year olds reading translated Greek in monotone.

"This lays cities low this drives… men from their homes their trains and… wuharps honest souls… till they set themselves to… werx of shame; this steel teches folk to… practice vill-ain-ees, and to know ev-ery godless deed but all… the men who --what’s that?

“wrought”

“this thing for higher haf made it sure… that soon or late they shall… pay the price. Popcorn Michael when do we get out.”

Zzzzzzzz… WHAM!

That was the sound of my head hitting the desk.

I can’t speak for the Sophocles tragedy. I was referencing an modern version of the play, written by one of the contemporaries of Satre and Camus. I had it taught as part of the Existentialist movement. (I misspelled Anouilh’s name, though.) It moves a lot more comfortably than Greek. Honest.