Why do they use security screws on public rest room stall partitions?

90% of the public rest rooms I’ve ever used featured metal-panel off-the-floor stall partitions and doors. For some reason that I can’t figure out, they always use those funny-headed one-way security screws (the kind that allow you to tighten the screw, but not loosen it, with an ordinary screwdriver) to hold the various hardware components together.

Why? Is bathroom partition theft really that big a problem?

Actually, I’ve heard that it is sometimes a problem - a serious one in public bathrooms in big cities. Thus, most of the “kits” to set up the partitions come with the security screws, so people use them.

Not so much theft as vandalism. a**holes will take apart anything that can be remotely pried, bent, or disassembled.
Case in point: the flow control screw on urinals (that little brass screw facing you on the supply)
Tubs o’ fun to go in, adjust them to max. pressure and watch the hilarity ensue.
Re the OP, fun to go in, remova all the screw so when someone goes to open the door, it collapses around him/her.

Just as bathroom stalls are often the target of vandals providing the telephone numbers for a “good time”, they are often the target of meaningless destruction. Privacy gone awry. Witness the roll of TP stuffed in the head…flush and run…Oh what fun! The result; the security screw. It prevents the bored anarchist from disassembling the stall while waiting for the end of the log jam, as it were.