Books About Chess

Can anyone recommend a book about chess (or where chess is used as a plot device)? I’m not looking for tutorials, analysis of players or games, innumberable “White mates in five” puzzles, or other types of chess books. I’m looking for things like Searching for Bobby Fischer which was partly about chess but more about the relationship between a father and his son. ideas would include biographies of famous players (without in-depth analysis of their play), books about the role of chess in society, etc.

Fiction or non-fiction, I don’t have a preference.

TIA

The Turk. I found it fascinating, at least.

I found this on Amazon, which might lead you to a couple things. In fact, I think I might have to look a couple up myself…

Alice Through the Looking Glass ?

Try “The Flanders Panel” by Arturo Perez-Reverte. I don’t want to spoil any of the story, but it was well worth my time.

Also Amy Tan’s short story “The Rules of the Game” - a young Chinese girl (surprise!) becomes a local chess champion but also has to deal with family loyalties.

A rather cheesey, but quite well written “summer beach” book is “The Eight” that tries to tie a lot of mystical and mysterious stuff into the International Chess Competition.

Not so much about chess or chess theory, but more of a fictional exploration of what “makes” a chess master…

don’t put it first on your list, but feel free to include it
link: The Eight by Katherine Neville book review

FML

Well, for chess as a plot device, there’s Queenmagic, Kingmagic by Ian Watson, a fantasy set in a world that works more or less according to the rules of chess. It’s been a long time, but I recall it as pretty good.

The Queen’s Gambit

Unicorn Variations, by Roger Zelazny, is a wonderful short story. Humorous and lighthearted, my favorite character is the

griffin that drinks beer, Rael, Punches open a can with his claw and chugs!