can You Remove Your Vest Without Removing Your Jacket?

Yeah, i know, but I think this was attempted by a professor of mathematics once. A vest is basically a torus-it has two connected surfaces. Does topology allow for the vest to move without disturbing the jacket?
Any topologists here?

Yes, you can remove a vest without removing the jacket. In practice, the vest needs to be rather loose-fitting, so you can stretch one arm hole down through the sleeve far enough to pull your hand through.

Not much of a debate about it, really.

Assuming your clothing was very stretchable, it’s possible. Imagine reaching your right arm up inside the left sleeve of your jacket and grabbing the left shoulder of your vest. Now pull it down your left arm until it’s past your left hand. Now switch hands and reach up your right jacket sleeve and pull the right shoulder of your vest down your right arm. You’ll be able to pull the entire vest out over your right hand.

Sure. Just step through one armhole, so that the vest is now on one side of your body, then slide it out through the sleeve.

An English vest, (United Statesian undershirt), or an American vest (Englandish waistcoat)?

Of course – it’s exactly the same as the way women remove their bras without removing their blouses. The source of a huge number of threads and entries on this very Board. And the bra/blouse thing is, in my humble male opinion, a much more interesting mamifestation of the problem. I think about it all the time.

Well, I can’t do it at the moment, because I have a seriously messed-up shoulder at the moment. But it is definitely possible. The old Time-Life Science Library volume on Mathematics had a nice series of photos of a man removing his vest in this manner.

An African vest, or a European vest?

Shouldn’t that be ‘mammifestation’ ? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s possible. My kid used to take his underwear off without taking off his shorts.

Of course, the question of how to remove a woman’s blouse is an open question which topologists have struggled with since the field’s foundation.

Only on a treadmill.

I know a woman that can do that as well. It helps if the guy’s shorts are baggy, or at least loose enough for her to get her hands up there. Then, it’s just a matter of tugging and stretching, sometimes past the limits of the elastic - no promises that the underwear will remain in usable condition afterward.

As for vests, I used to have a book full of all sorts of amusing and generally innocent ways to prank people or win bets called Sneaky Feats that described how to de-vest a person wihout removing their jacket.

As I was reading that, I looked over on my bookshelf and lo, and behold…the Time/Life Mathematics book! The vest he was removing in the picture is a button-front waistcoat…not an undershirt.

Instructions for removing the bra can be found in the movie Flashdance, IIRC.

Best scene ever. Can’t believe she is a lesbian. All the good ones are :frowning:

Ah, but for an undershirt, just pull the front of it up and over your head and then it is topologically equivalent to a waistcoat.

My uncle had that whole Time-Life Science Series when I was a kid. I loved looking through them when I visited him. Then a few years ago he gave them to me. Hooray!

Why, yes, I am single. How did you know?

“Grampa, how’d you take off your underwear without taking off your pants?”
“I don’t know!” [/The Simpsons]

I don’t really see a debate, here, and, despite the attempts at humor, it seems to be more of a General Question.

Off to GQ.