Firefox 3, incorrect scrolling on "last post" buttons.

Using FF3, when you click on one of the “last post” buttons, it scrolls the target page incorrectly. The FF guys say the fault lies with incorrect coding by the VB developers:

The bug reports describe a small change that they suggest to fix the problem. I know you don’t like to make custom mods to the templates, but I’m finding the issue annoying.

Probably won’t see any changes until TPTB decide to upgrade vBulletin. It’s currently three generations behind; the SDMB uses 3.0; the rest of the world has moved on to 3.5., 3.6. and now 3.7.*.

What elmwood says is correct; you won’t see any fixes until the system is upgraded.

Your administrators and moderators have no control over the technical end of things here; it’s totally up to those above us. They’ll get to us one of these days.

Is there any chance that somebody with the authority to deal with the paying customers will comment?

I agree that this is a most annoying problem. I will not upgrade to FF3 at home because of it.

You know, that’s also a two-way street; Firefox could deal with this too, they just choose to put the responsibility on vB.

vB often does the same thing and refers users to the offending software and their developers to fix what needs fixing.

I don’t have a dog in this particular fight, BTW, I’m just saying.

If I understand the problem correctly, the “Last” link is supposed to take you to the last post on the last page, and, currently, Firefox 3 takes you to the top of the last page.

Frankly, this is what I prefer, so let’s keep vBulletin and Firefox just as they are!

This may be related: after I upgraded to FF3, “Go to first new post” started taking to the post before that one – the last old post. So on every page I have to scroll down to see the first new post. Annoying as hell.

It takes you (generally) to the middle of the last page - it positions the date on the last post at the very bottom of the browser window, so that you have to scroll to see the actual post. Provided the thread is long enough for it to be scrolled to that position.

That isn’t how it behaves for me. Firefox seems to take to the last place I viewed - if it isn’t that, then it is taking me somewhere random. But it doesn’t take to the top of the last page.

I posted two bugs - the one is what I was describing, the other, I believe, is what you’re describing (on another VB board, which apparently has avatars), and, yes they’re the same issue. 439826 contains the change FF claims should be made to the VB pages. I have to side with FF if what they say is true - they’re basically saying that VB is performing unneeded conditional logic based on browser, where they could just do the same thing in all IE versions, FF2 and FF3 and it would work.

More specifically, it only worked correctly in FF2 because there was a bug which caused it to ignore the erroneous condition. FF3 is now doing what they are telling it to, ie, the wrong thing.

IOW, don’t get your hopes up.

It isn’t just on last post. It now happens in showing a post in context, like this: [post=9981977](supposed to position to post 9 in this thread)[/post].

One could just say that if the bug occurs everywhere with Firefox. In my own netsurfing I’ve only seen that bug here. Other than another vB board, have you found a spot where it occurs?