Why do people refer to themselves in the first person plural?

Of course, there is the “royal we,” which I never understood. Why does the queen say “we”?

Then there are the politicians who say, “We have been campaigning hard and we expect to win,” or even in situations where they seem to talking specifically about themselves and not the entire team, as in “We got on a plane this morning, campaigned all day, and we’re really tired and our voice is hoarse.”

We also find other oddball uses …

The reason for the editorial or royal we is supposed to be that someone is speaking as a spokesperson for their organization, or as their office, not themselves personally. They probably also do it give themselves gravitas (if I have to use a royal “we” I must be important), and from force of habit.

Wiki on the subject:

The reason for the “royal we” is simple, and not a matter of conceit or ego. When a monarch speaks in the first person plural, he or she is acting authoritatively or ritually in behalf of his or her government and/or people, not as an individual.

“We have determined, and it is so commanded, that the levy on imports of preserved fish be removed” does not mean “I, my royal high-and-mightiness King Ralph XIV, like my pickled herring” but “As the figurehead spokesperson for this here gummint, I have been tasked with formally stating that the politicians negotiated with Norway and Iceland, and in exchange for concessions on their part, we’re letting them shipped preserved fish in without duty, so the levy’s been removed.”

Others speaking in behalf of a group will use a collective “we” regularly, usually without any jarring of the ear – to hear the chairman of a committee report what “we” recommend will trigger an automatic connection that “we” is the committee members for whom he’s speaking. Where this gets confusing is in what appears externally to be a public celebrity individual but is in reality a team of like-minded individuals. A politician campaigning, an evangelist conducting a revival, an entertainer on tour, may be the “front man” soeaking on behalf of the team supporting the joint efforts toward the end that he embodies, and he may well speak in behalf of his entourage: “Thank you, Memphis, for the warm welcome. We love it here.” That “we” is not just Billy Bob McCountrysinger, but the 20 or so people who work together as roadies, tech men, etc., to put together his tour.

I’m not so sure about that, Polycarp.

“Royal We” was my A Word A Day (email list) just yesterday.

It was described as follows:

(I think a 100% quote here is copyright-kosher as it’s a freely available email list service)

In everyday speech, she doesn’t use the “royal we”. In fact, she doesn’t even when making an official speech (opening Parliament, for instance). It’s pretty much died out. I’ve heard that Princess Anne sometimes uses it, but only when she’s angry with someone.

When Margaret Thatcher announced, outside 10 Downing Street, that “we have become a grandmother”, the general opinion, even in respectable newspapers, was that she’d finally lost what marbles she still had. She didn’t stay in power much longer.

According to Cecil, Victoria was referring to herself and the ladies of the court when she said that, not using “we” to refer to herself alone.

That isn’t how copyright works in the US or in Australia. The owner has the unlimited right to distribute as they see fit, and that doesn’t denigrate their ability to stop redistribution by others. In practice, you’re flying under the radar, but don’t ever fool yourself into thinking that was legal.

What about those Yorkshire folks who say “we” and “us” in common conversation to refer to themselves?

I remember this popping up a few times in the colloquial dialog in The Full Monty (that’s definitely a movie where you want subtitles on, even as a native English speaker).

Fair enough. To be honest, I was probably choosing to subconsciously ignore that, and was relying on dear old Anu being a nice Garg (hehe). Mods, please prune as appropriate.

When I would say to my dad, “we need to do (whatever thing I wanted done,)” he would always say “What is this “we” stuff? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?” That used to annoy me as a child but I see more humor in it now.

I find myself doing it when I’m referring to something being done by or on behalf of my business, even though my business is a sole proprietorship, and “we” consists mostly of “me”. I’m not sure why it feels more comfortable, but it does. If I’m saying or doing something on behalf of the business entity, it’s different than if I, myself, were saying or doing something. In saying “we’re pleased to announce that we’ll be making an appearance as a vendor at the DACA national specialty show on August 30th”: it seems more clearly stated that it’s not just me that’s going to be there as a spectator, but Raw Dog as a business entity will be there, too.

Is that actually correct usage, or did I just make it all up?

Does she still use it in certain official documents (letters of patent, letters of credence, royal summons, etc)?

Yes. You can find an example here (the text of the BBC’s Royal Charter).

My dad would ask if I had a frog in my pocket. Apparently, he was part of a small-animal-pocket trend.

At our house, we frequently refer to ourselves and each other in the third person plural.

I don’t know if it’s correct, but I say “we” when speaking to readers at the story archive I alone manage, too for the same reasons. I may have coded everything to upload and done all the talking to authors, but saying “I updated” strikes me as odd given that completely leaves the authors out of things and without them there’d be no update.

I’ve noticed this use by many NASCAR drivers.

I find the use of “we” when an individual is speaking on TV ( for example) about something he or she is responsible for, VERY IRRITATING.

If I chopped down the biggest tree in Montana ( for example), and there wasn’t another human being for 20 miles, then “we” didn’t so it, I did.

And at Olympic swimming trials, if I swam the fastest 100 metres freestyle, then then only “we” involved might be my support team. But if I sprained a muscle in that attempt, then I’m sure that the ‘we’ [support team], can’t take credit for that, can they?

Band name!

A few years ago I had a girl who was pursuing me. At a party I was flirting with someone else and she came up to me and whispered “We’re watching you.” I eventually clarified she meant just her. I found it a bit creepy and it should have been a red flag, but eh, she was hot so I went for it anyway.