So what ARE Scalar Weapons

Okay, I know I’m going to be shot for this, many times. And I have a feeling they’re bringing out the goats again because I’ll have to redo the initiation, but I’m curious, I’ve heard a couple people talking about them in a very conspiracy fashion. Wikipedia has a tiny summery about “Quantum potential weapons” with some vague description that doesn’t translate well between my eyes and brain, and something about the leading authority’s theories and contributions at least being recognized by the National Science Foundation leading me to believe there is at least something to it, tangential to reality or not.

So, other than 1920’s Style Death Rays, what are Scalar Weapons?

Oh, and I have the bleach here in case anyone wants to drink it, you know, to ease the pain by making it end faster.

Sometimes I wonder if I live on the same planet as these folks. Real physics is weird enough without dragging in a bunch of conspiracy theories that have no evidence to support them.

From reading his wikipedia entry, Thomas Bearden, a major proponent of this stuff, strikes me as just another nut case. I know people who have real Ph.Ds in physics, and they get their information from peer-reviewed articles in reputable journals, that have experimental data to back them up. Of course, that’s just part of the conspiracy.

Scalar weapons are 1960’s Style Death Ray.

It’s technobabble, plain and simply.

Oh, and about being recognized by NSF, here’s link to that letter. IMHO it’s more of a standard “thank you for posting” letter than “recognition of ideas” per se.

I love the last couple sentences, the points he needs to address. It looks like they were trying really hard not to just say “it’s bullshit, but we’d be happy if you proved us wrong.”

Maybe I could send them ideas for a man-sized ad-hoc quantum tunnel through physical space with possible applications as a shower curtain.*

Anyway, what I’m talking about is some people on here for posts on end about every intricate detail of a 9/11 conspiracy theory and why it’s wrong. I’m looking for a similar post here, just with a little more setup as to what exactly people THINK they do.

*[sup]Kudos to those who get the reference[/sup]

Well, when the ‘leading authority’ in a field is Thomas Bearden, who’s not only a noted over-unity kook, but also believes lots of funny things like the KGB engineering the USA’s weather since some time in the late seventies using those elusive ‘scalar weapons’, Chernobyl just being a Russian cover story to hide the truth of an experiment involving standing electrogravitational waves gone wrong, and far more wackiness than I’m willing to confront myself with now, you can probably tell that the whole field is a bit questionable…

But, two answer your question as best as I can, there seem to be two things at the heart of the matter: longitudinal EM waves and vacuum energy.

A longitudinal wave is a wave where the oscillating quantity varies in the direction of the wave’s propagation – for instance, a sound (or any other pressure) wave. Picture a slinky, laid out horizontally, you give a shove on one of it’s endings: the displacement will travel through the slinky, varying the distance between single windings.
Electromagnetic waves are generally transversal, meaning the oscillating quantity varies perpendicular to the direction of the wave’s propagation. Picture a rope that’s bound to something, and shake it up and down. That’s the picture for all electromagnetic fields in free space, i.e. a vacuum, as given by Maxwell’s equations; it’s probably noteworthy that the oscillating quantity, in this case, is a vector.
Now, the (supposed) longitudinal EM waves of scalar weapon fame do differ from those familiar waves in that they apparently have a scalar quantity oscillating parallel to the direction of propagation; this presupposes the existence of a so-called ‘scalar field’, not to be confused with the electrostatic scalar potential (the latter being actual science), that permeates all of space and gives rise to both the magnetic and electric fields.
There’s no experimental reason to assume the existence of such a scalar field, and it’s at odds with current understanding of electrodynamics – since charge gives rise to electric fields, and moving charge gives, via relativistic transformation, rise to magnetic fields, any time variant electric/magnetic field will also have a corresponding magnetic/electric field.
However, in this supposed scalar field theory, it would be possible to create a scalar wave via manipulating a purely magnetic field, which would have no electric component – the picture, essentially, is that magnetic attraction creates a scalar ‘void’ between two magnets, and magnetic repulsion creates a scalar ‘bubble’. Switching two magnets back and forth from mutual attraction to repulsion thus creates ‘ripples’ in the scalar field in a similar manner to pressure variations in air, and it is thus possible to create a device that emits no measurable EM field, while yet, via those ‘scalar ripples’, having the ability to influence attraction between two magnets a distance away, something not possible in classical electrodynamics (the whole thing, emitting no EM field, would only heat up).

Now, closely interconnected to this notion of scalar field (somehow, I don’t know the specifics), is the quantum mechanical zero-point energy associated with vacuum fluctuations – to gloss over the details a bit, uncertainty permits the spontaneous generation of virtual particles, provided they annihilate again in a reasonable amount of time. This leads (via some complications due to the quantization of fields and the associated necessity of renormalization) to a non-zero energy value for empty space.
Which then, somehow, leads to the scalar field outlined above. I didn’t really find anything explaining that somehow, though – basically, most of the texts on the matter amount to random tossing out of pseudo-scientific buzzwords, that basically use them with so much equivocation and implicit re-definition that it’s near impossible to make out any coherent concepts (even more so than this very post ;)).

So, to sum up: someone dun made it up.

The edit timed out on me, so here’s what I wanted to add:

I just realized that I didn’t actually answer your question, despite my grandiose claim to do so: Scalar weapons are things that somehow utilize the scalar field (probably via scalar waves) to deliver destructive action to a remote target. They’re, best as I can tell, essentially magic in their properties, being able to melt down metal, cause earthquakes, influence weather patterns and even weaken immune responses in order to pave the way for biological weaponry. Again, the somehow seems largely unexplained.

So they’re devices built out of unobtanium using the concepts of applied phlebotinum, based off physics somewhere between What the Bleep Do We Know? and Wanted level accuracy to explain it with the outcome being something vague but most definitely very bad™?

I guess I understood what Wikipedia was saying, I just got lost trying to connect principle to outcome with some bullshit technical detail that sounds plausible. It just turned out the connector (the “somehow”) just doesn’t exist. So I think I’ve got it unless someone can find an explanation of the “somehow” (even if it makes no sense) and cares to share, thanks.

On the Wikipedia, a Scalar Field is simply a field where you assign a scalar value (that is, a number, not a vector) to every point in space. The kooky bit is not here, it’s in the fact that scalar fields can be associated with certain subatomic particles; so the kooky people are actually talking about quantum weapons, that are quite outside the realm of possibility as far as I know :slight_smile:

Leaving those apart, temperature and pressure are modelled using scalar field, so you could build scalar weapons… really big heaters. Or compressors. Imagine a James Bond scene with one of those: “Do you expect me to talk?” “No, Mr Bond, I expect you to sweat!”.

A similar sort of thing happened to a guy called Frank Whittle…the inventor of the jet engine! Only his rejection was a little more mundane. The person he approached with his idea, was already trying to improve his own propeller driven engine.

It was another 10 years before Frank was able to start developing his idea.

Look if you really want to know how they work could I just suggest a detailed reading of this Scientific Paper. It provides a full and insightful practical/cultural and theoretical foundation for Scalar Weapons. Plus it has some cocktail recipes.

My ex-father in law (ex-wife’s dad) maintains that the Soviets used Scalar Weapons (orginaally designed by Tesla, whose museum was ransacked when the Sov’s got to Croatia) to knock Gary Powers out of the sky.

Of course, he also believes there is what appears to be a Roman-esque temple on Mars.

Since the original question is answered…

Don’t forget to send them your ideas for the “Take-a-Wish” foundation and the reverse Heimlich maneuver as well.

And tell them they can have cake when your application is approved. They’ll go for that.

Now consider how this sounds to someone who doesn’t know much about science or the workings of current technology; someone who may believe in conspiracies, someone to whom a light switch is magic.

That person sees one explanation offered to counter another, both of which are full of jargon and neither of which is comprehensible. What to believe? The decision may come down to which explanation aligns with emotions the person already has.

Scratch “generally”. They can’t wave in the direction of propagation. Period. There is no “scalar field, and if there was it wouldn’t do what he’s saying”.

Enough assertions that Bearden’s non compos mentis. Someone needs to come down and say in no uncertain terms: “this is bullshit”. And no hedging about “We’d love for you to prove us wrong”. It’s just plain wrong.

So now I have.

I have no clue what this and the shower curtain are a reference to, but now I really want to know. Please tell me what you’re talking about.

This bears little relation to actual history, the one in which Whittle worked continually on his project for most of those ten years (except for the times when he suffered nervous breakdowns). He was so far from officially rejected that he was given the CBE during that period.

A. A. Griffin did indeed think that his propeller-driven design was more viable than the jet for the short term. Considering that the short term had a war looming and that Whittle’s design didn’t work worth squat at the time, it’s not the wholly bad decision you make it out to be.

In any case, there’s no similarity at all between imaginary weapons based on imaginary scientific gobbledygook and a new invention that has yet to be shown to be scalable to industrial needs.

Go to http://www.aperturescience.com

Click on the flashing cursor and type “login” (without the quotes)

Use the user name “cjohnson” and the password “tier3”

Type “notes”

Or, go play the game Portal. At the end you can have cake.

Beyond the specific inaccuracies Exapno mentions, this rhetorical device is just an updated “nobody believed Columbus when he said the world was round” argument. (I’m sure rhetoricians have a formal name for this logical fallacy, but I don’t really feel like delving into formal rhetoric.) That we can identify one person whose good idea that was dismissed a bad by The Powers That Were At The Time has zero bearing on any idea dismissed by The Powers That Be Today.

Look at it this way: J. K. Rowling’s struggles to get Harry Potter into print are now legendary. That Harry Potter eventually became fabulously successful hasn’t transformed veritable seas of crappy amateur fiction into good literature.

Now that the first question has been cleared up, I will answer your next question.

Yes, you can use a scalar weapon to take the scales off a fish, but it’s rather like using a Senate committee inquiry to get your son to practice his piano lessons.

Yes, that’s always a problem with cases like this, which is why people like Bearden get any attention at all (and I tried to make light of this at the end of my post). How to circumvent this, though, I don’t know, I generally try to be as comprehensible as the topic, my own understanding, and the limits of a message board post permit – if I were to include definitions of all jargon, complete with the necessary fundamentals, I might just as well write a textbook.
However, this is a problem with all fields, not just science – if you don’t really know your way around the subject, you can’t expect to understand and discuss it without further study. It’s the same, for instance, for politics, as anyone who’s ever been to a bar with a couple of locals solving all the world’s problems in just one beer-happy evening can attest.
Therefore, upon encountering an unfamiliar subject, one should always be mindful of the Dunning-Kruger effect, and try to learn it, before assuming to know anything about it (that way, upon encountering contradictory claims by self-professed experts on a subject, one would just file the issue under ‘undecided’).

Yes, but then, undoubtedly, some smartass would have pointed out the existence of, for example, electromagnetic electron waves in plasmas, which can be partly longitudinal. :wink:
Generally, though, I do agree with your sentiment, and all ass-covering aside, Bearden’s a kook and his ideas pseudo-science.