Why do small birds hop around on the ground while large birds walk??

I noticed this at work while on the patio. It seems like small birds(sparrow, finch) all hop around on the ground while large birds(grackle, crow) walk around. Is there a theory that explains this or are we going invent?

I’m thinking that smaller birds have legs that are a bit further back on the body and are designed for hopping rather than walking due to the shifted center of gravity in relation to their legs. Birds like this take off from a standing position – something they can probably do thanks to their smaller size and lower mass – while those larger birds tend to make running starts.

http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/birds.html

Crows and grackles can take off vertically with a jump and a big flap, just like sparrows, sorry.

Just wanted to note that some small birds (even smaller than sparrow) walk.

The more interesting is why sparrows indeed hop around like spring-loaded.

Scout the parakeet frequently walks and runs after his toys. It’s really hilarious to watch him run for 3 feet or more. He looks funny doing it and I always say, “You can fly, you know!” It seems to be more of a game or sporting thing for him.

From here.

Yeah, go to a beach and watch the little sand pipers zip back and forth. I swear, someone is feeding those things crack.

Paging Colibri. :wink:

You rang?

First I would note that hopping is not just limited to small birds in general, it is mostly limited to the perching birds (“passerines”, members of the Order Passeriformes). This includes all of the small “tweety-birds,” like sparrows, robins, warblers, and so on, the biggest being the jays and crows. I can think of only a few non-passerines that hop - a few ground-foraging woodpeckers come to mind. Even small non-passerines, like parakeets and sandpipers, walk.

While there are exceptions, by and large I think that whether or not a passerine hops depends on how much time it spends perching in trees vs on the ground. Perching securely requires a large, strong hind toe that can grasp a branch well. Such a hind toe, or the musculature involved in perching, may make it more difficult to walk, so that hopping becomes the preferred means of getting around on the ground.

An exception I can think of are the ground-dwelling antpittas, which mostly hop. There may be some others.

Obligatory link

My lovebird chases me on foot, too, until I get far enough away she decides that she has to fly to catch me. :smiley: