Do other places have a classic car cruise

Detroit Local News - Michigan News - Breaking News - detroitnews.com It is coming to Detroits 14th CXlassic Car Cruise day. It goes from 9 to 9 on Aug. 14. It is hard to believe that so many classic cars are still around. They go all day squealing out and showing off their old cars. Communities set up concession stands and viewers line the streets eating ,drinking and gathering. It is a huge event.
It is hard to believe that so many classic cars still exist ,let alone that so many are in great shape. Does any other city do something like this?

Perhaps the London to Brighton Run which is open only to cars built before 1905.

I’ve seen others around the UK for more recent cars.

They don’t do a ‘cruise’ but the Bob’s Big Boy in Burbank CA has a classic car show in their parking lot every friday night. Jay Leno has an impressive classic car collection and stops by there fairly regularly.

These guys used to go through a lot of towns each summer:
2007 Americruise - Come Join Us On The Road

Unfortunately, not this year:
Americruise 2008 tour has been cancelled at this time.

We have a car show somewhere around here about every weekend. Fast food places, high school parking lots, places like that.

And there are many big shows throughout the year up at Carlisle, PA. Carlisle Events Well worth going to if you’re a car guy.

In my neighborhood there’s a car gathering every Thursday evening in the parking lot of a huge shopping center. I routinely see dozens of classic cars there.

My old neighborhood also had such gatherings.

My guess is that they’re probably common.

Further afield, when I visited Namur, Belgium a few weeks ago, the local Volkswagen club was out cruising around the citadel in their various Beetles.

My town has the Route 66 Mother Road Festival, the Mid-west Charity Cruise, probably a couple of other annual classic-car events that slip my memory at the moment, and informal gatherings several times each year in the summer and the fall.

Here in Minnesota, we have the New London to New Brighton Antique Car Run. But they accept newer cars – anything up to 1908.

Last time I was in Madrid, I saw a motorcade of about three dozen classic (over 25yo) cars, with police cars in front and back and organized by the Automobile Club. There’s similar things all over the country.

St. Paul, Minnesota, has Porky’s Drive-In on University Avenue. Every Saturday evening in the summer, there’s an informal classic cruise that ends in an unofficial gathering at Porky’s. At least, there was when I lived there 10 years ago. I don’t know if it’s still done, but given that the article is dated January of this year, I’d bet it is…

York PA has one every year. They drive up and down Rt. 30 and people actually get lawn chairs and coolers and sit along 30 and watch people drive by.

Peggy Sue’s Cruise - Here in Santa Rosa.

I’ve gone downtown for the past 3 years to watch the cars cruise down 4th Street. This year was the first year I went to the ‘Shine n Show’ in a park nearby. It was really fun.

Well, there’s Hot August Nights in Reno. The cars shown in that are usually hot rods and custom 50’s and 60’s cars. It tends to look more like a parade downtown, rather than a cruise.
The Pebble Beach Concourse d’Elegance has the Tour d’Elegance, where many of the show cars are driven around some spectacular scenery. ETA: they also have a much longer associated drive starting in Seattle, WA, ending at the show.

Closer to me in the Bay Area, there is a cruise associated with the Palo Alto Concourse d’Elegance, a smaller classic car show.

I had a 1971 Chevy Chevelle in High School and we go back and forth between Porky’s and Montgomery Wards on Saturdays. It still attracts a crowd, but nowhere near those numbers now.

We also just had the MSRA and there are plenty of other shows throughout the year. (My parents had a '70 Roadrunner that they just sold this month and won a lot of awards when they took it to these shows).

The MSRA had traffic going up and down Snelling Ave by the State Fairgrounds and I got stuck in traffic in my new Prius and I realized how different emissions are from yesterday to today.

Iowa has one – Cruise to the Woods. Everything from Model A’s to GTO’s. Very cool.

Modesto, Ca “Birthplace” of American Graffiti and hometown of George Lucas.

I forgot about the MRSA at the Fairgrounds! When I was attending the Job Corps Center right across from there we used to watch the cars when it was going on.

Ours has thousands of cars and we block a 4 lane highway all night long.