Ludacris, rapper and avid supporter of Barack Obama

Obviously you can’t blame Obama for ‘Politics: Obama Is Here’ in which he attacks Hillary Clinton as an ‘irrelevant bitch’ .

After all, I’m sure … this isn’t the Ludacris he knows.

My question… if an entertainment figure can put a song out to rally the troops to Vote Obama, is it ok for anti-Obama people to aggressively point to the same song as a reason not to?

Only if the entertainment figure does so at the request of the candidate. Or if the entertainer is somehow connected to the candidate.

So, in this case, I believe the answer is “no”.

Is this actually a debate? You’re already doing it, so obviously you think it’s okay. As you said yourself, Obama obviously can’t be blamed for the song itself.

It does raise questions about Obama’s judgment. After all, he did meet Ludacris one time. So based on that I think we can safely assume Obama agrees with what Ludacris is saying.

I just wonder how many people this will encourage to vote for Obama who weren’t planning to anyway.

I’d like Obama to apologize for the song if every white presidential candidate retroactively apologizes for Toby Keith.

No one is asking for an apology. A Hillary aid is asking for Obama to denounce Ludacris for calling Hillary a bitch.

It could get him some rap fans who don’t usually vote.

Waitaminnit – if one of Obama’s supporters called Clinton an “irrelevant bitch,” how does that constitute a reason not to vote for him?

Thread title notwithstanding, that’s some pretty iffy wording. Bolding mine.

Well, in my opinion, I would say not really.
If an entertainment figure wishes to make their views on a political figure known, then you should focus on the entertainer and his views, NOT the political figure.

Eminem did this same tactic in '04 with his song/music video "Mosh (music video, may contain language) " which was just a rally cry to vote against Bush (though not really “Pro-Kerry” in any way, just more anti-Bush).

And even Nas has thrown support behind Obama with his song "Black President (lyrics) " on his newest album: “Untitled”.

-If someone were to try to point to those figures as reasons NOT to vote for a candidate, well that’s just silly and pretty much a giant straw men. It would be similar to the idea then that someone shouldn’t vote for another candidate just because X figure from Y religious supports him. Or that your hated rival: “the guy down the street” really hates a certain Candidate, so you feel you should vote FOR the candidate because you dislike that guy down the street.
Where does that line end then?

Just because a celebrity is Pro/Anti a certain candidate should not affect one’s views towards the candidate, it should be the ISSUES that matter and not the entourage.

Gosh, I wonder what the OP’s next Obama thread will be.

I wonder if it will take something absurdly tangential and ask us if we should judge Obama by it. I wonder if it will include the OP using wordage akin to the much-maligned “Some people say that Obama…”.

Jesus christ, give it a fucking rest, dude.

-Joe

Odd, my computer is showing all the posts in this thread as three months after they were actually posted.

Not Luda’s best effort, but if nothing else it should make Bill O’Reilly’s head explode.

Because, and really this should go without saying, a Presidential candidate’s political stances and leadership abilities pale into utter insignificance when considered alongside the fact that one of his more vocal supporters has a potty-mouth or a bad attitude. This is why, when Liz Trotta “jokingly” called for Obama’s assassination, and Ann Coulter took to constantly referring to the Illinois senator as "B. Hussein Obama and suggested his biggest accomplishment was “being born half-black”, and Michael Savage flat out called him a terrorist, What the … !!! swore he would never vote for John McCain. Well, I assume he did that. It’s what consistency demands, after all.

I already gave you that clearly Ludacris is not that man he knew when he was working with him on AIDS awareness and calling him a “great talent” in order to be hip and attract the support of his fans.

I’m more interested in the potential “Willie Horton” aspects of using this type of thing to warn voters about who some of Obama’s supporters are.

By “some of Obama’s supporters” do you mean “Ludacris”?

You tried that bullshit before and only embarrassed yourself. Learn from your mistakes.

You know, I’m sure there re some convicted murderers who support Obama for president as well. Just as there are most likely some child molesters who plan on voting for McCain. So I guess we should probably all vote for Ralph Nader, who, as far as I can tell, has no supporters.

I’m quite certain that the murderer in Knoxville, who shot up a church during a children’s play, was a McCain supporter. What are we supposed to conclude from that?

I think the song is pretty cool and basically true. What I don’t understand is why the OP thinks Barack Obama has any responsibility for it. There’s no debate here as far as I can see.

I’m supposed to upset because Ludacris is an Obama supporter? Explain why I should care.

Should the public be warned about al the white supremacists who are supporting McCain?

All this does is make me want to buy the song.

Well, I gotta say, when Bruce Springsteen wrote that song for Ronald Reagan I was pretty fucking upset!