The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 08-04-2008, 01:24 PM

Late-90s music nostalgia is starting to set in for the early twentysomethings

I'm 22 years old, and when I go to a college bar where there's a jukebox, what do I hear? It's not rap. It's not indie rock or pop punk. It's Better Than Ezra, Weezer, Blues Traveler, Sugar Ray, The Wallflowers, Third Eye Blind, and Matchbox 20.

People get drunk, they get nostalgic, and they play music that they liked when they were kids.

I have to say I am really enjoying it. I myself have been nostalgic for late-90s music ever since rap started to dominate in 2000, and I have very fond memories of all of that stuff from 1996 and 1997 that was big on the radio. I'm glad other people of my generation are starting to get into it again also.

I'm not talking about the Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jane's Addiction, Pavement, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, or any of that early to mid 90s alt-rock. This is a different generation we're dealing with - kids who grew up not on the heavy alternative music of the early 90s, but the light hearted radio pop of the late 90s.

Is anyone else noticing this phenomemon?
Advertisements  
Old 08-04-2008, 01:59 PM

I haven't really noticed this, but I'm not surprised - the class of '98 is having their ten year reunion, so they're feeling nostalgic.

I was in college at the time and I can't say I was overly fond of most Top 40 artists. There must have been a million Matchbox 20's and Third Eye Blinds, and they all blended together into one bland and forgettable frat party playlist. This was also the time when Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys were dominating the airwaves, and I'm not particularly nostalgic about them yet either.

When you compare it to some of the crap on the radio today, okay. But if I'm feeling nostalgic I'll stick to the grunge and alternative rock I listened to in high school.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaTea
I haven't really noticed this, but I'm not surprised - the class of '98 is having their ten year reunion, so they're feeling nostalgic.
Well, my 10-year reunion was in '95, and I'd say the nostalgia for '85 was near zero. But nostalgia may set in faster these days, or maybe there was just nothing Better Than Ezra back then.

Anyway, we have:

1. Nostalgia for 1998.

2. Pop tunes from 1998 available, through some sort of jukebox-licensing agreement (admittedly I know nothing about this), for another public exposure -- since they presumably wouldn't hit the Top 40 a second time.

Which is the cause, and which is the effect?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Cause it's the world I know.
It's the world I know.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers
I'm 22 years old, and when I go to a college bar where there's a jukebox, what do I hear? It's not rap. It's not indie rock or pop punk. It's Better Than Ezra, Weezer, Blues Traveler, Sugar Ray, The Wallflowers, Third Eye Blind, and Matchbox 20.
Not to rain on your parade man, but almost all of those bands were at their biggest in the mid-90s. Post-Nirvana, but pre-late 90s pop rock resurgence.

Justin_Bailey, Class of '99 and a big fan of 90s pop-rock
Old 08-04-2008, 05:31 PM

Shouldn't late, not early, twentysomethings be the ones nostalgic for this music? This is the music of our high school days. I can't remember getting nostalgic for music I listened to in middle school. Actually, scratch that. I was in middle school in the early '90's, the time of Nirvana and the "grunge revolution." I still sometimes listen to that.

Roosevelt High, Class of '97!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:47 PM

Alot of early-1990's europop is getting another airing in clubs and on radio here.
Haddaway- What is Love?
Ace of Base stuff and the like.

It's partly the cheese factor but there's obviously people who want to hear these tunes.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Granted, there's an ad for every genre album under the sun but my wife and I were watching a TV ad for "Buzzcuts!" last night, filled with just this music. Third Eye Blind, Better than Ezra, Eve6, Oasis, etc. I made the same remark: "I guess this is nostalgia these days, huh?"
Old 08-04-2008, 06:13 PM

Wait a second. At 22 years old you're a little young to be getting nostalgic about ANYTHING. I would think you would still be listening to new music. Really you shouldn't be getting all music nostalgic until you are around your ten year reunion.

Actually, I find it horribly depressing that young 20-somethings are getting nostalgic over music I listened to when I was that age. Weezer and Blues Traveler were bands I listened to when I was in college (91-95). Better Than Ezra, Sugar Ray, The Wallflowers, Third Eye Blind, and Matchbox 20 was the music I listened to when I was in my early to mid-20s after college.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:23 PM

I've responded to this exact same line of reasoning before, and I'll do it again.

I'm 22. We're talking about half my fucking life here. 10 years may not seem like a long time to you, but it is a very long time to me, because again, it's just about half of my entire life. That is a long time. The difference between 12 and 22 is a big one. Very big. Huge. Colossal.

Definitely a wide enough gap to have nostalgia.

Also, it's very easy to be nostalgic for the radio pop of the past when everything on the radio now is CRAP! I can turn on the same exact radio station that I used to listen to in my room on my boom box after hockey practice when I was 12 years old, that would play The Sundays and Better Than Ezra and The Wallflowers, I can turn on that same radio station now and all that's on is hump-and-bump repetitive trash rap and talentless pop-punk acts. It's very easy to get nostalgic when that's the situation you have.

And anyway who says you can't be listening to new music and still be nostalgic for old music at the same time?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Resident Archangel
Charter Member

Well, what do you expect? They need something to get them through this, you know. Semi-charmed kinda life.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 PM

I remember when I heard that song for the first time, I was riding with my friend Jordan in his mom's Expedition and it came on the radio and he said, "a BRITISH rap group?"

He thought Third Eye Blind was British, and a rap group.

Admittedly, the lyrical style on that specific song is kind of similar to rap. And I guess he does sort of sound like he has a half-British sort of accent.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Smash Mouth is playing at the middle of nowhere country fair that we always used to go to in middle/high school with the distinct hope of making out with someone on the ferris wheel.

And you bet your ass I am heading back to "visit my parents" that weekend... and I'm not going to hear anything they've recorded in the past decade or so. Let's get Walkin' on the Sun already!

So in the answer to your OP... yes, yes I have both seen and felt this a lot among our age group (23 here).
Old 08-04-2008, 10:42 PM

All of this music directly coincided with the release of Goldeneye for N64, so most of it is burned into my brain along with images of that video game accompanying it. Tubthumping is great background music for running over Russian soldiers with a tank.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Resident Archangel
Charter Member

Okay, actually being, like, serious here. I have the following in heavy rotation in my iTunes/on my iPod:

"Come to My Window" --Melissa Etheridge
All of Alanis's Jagged Little Pill
"Lovefool" --The Cartigans
"Macarena" --Los Del Rio
"Another Night" --Real McCoy
"The Mummers' Dance" --Loreena McKennit
"I Want You" --Savage Garden
"Bittersweet Symphony" --The Verve
"Iris" --The Goo Goo Dolls
"Here With Me" --Dido
"Take a Picture" --Filter
"Angels Would Fall" --Melissa Etheridge
"Livin' la Vida Loca" --Ricky Martin
"She's So High" --Tal Bachman.
All off Third Eye Blind's first album.
"Tubthumping" --Chumbawamba (to be fair, I have a LOT of other stuff by them)
"She Likes Me for Me (Hey, Leonardo)" --Blessid Union of Souls
"Steal My Sunshine" --Len
"I Don't Wanna Wait" --Paula Cole
"It's All Coming Back to Me Now" --Céline Dion
"Can't Change Me" --Chris Cornell
"Kryptonite" --Three Doors Down
"I Love You Always Forever" --Donna Lewis
"Learn to Fly" --Foo Fighters
"Push" --Matchbox Twenty
"Don't Speak" --No Doubt
"Wonderwall" --Oasis
All of Californication by The Red Hot Chili Peppers.
"You Get What You Give" --New Radicals

Fuck. . .I guess you could say nostalgia hit me hard (though a few of those are more mid-90s, and one or two might be 2000). I'm 25.

Last edited by Angel of the Lord; 08-04-2008 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: How the HELL could I forget New Radicals?!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:58 PM

What, you mean Matchbox 20, Three Doors Down, and the Foo Fighters are nostalgic??
I consider these bands relatively current, even their early albums.
Mind you, ten years ago, I was 25...

S^G
Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I've responded to this exact same line of reasoning before, and I'll do it again.

I'm 22. We're talking about half my fucking life here. 10 years may not seem like a long time to you, but it is a very long time to me, because again, it's just about half of my entire life. That is a long time. The difference between 12 and 22 is a big one. Very big. Huge. Colossal.

You shouldn't have to defend your sense of nostalgia to anyone. At your age, I rediscovered the music of my youth -- mostly late 70s AOR radio. That remains my favorite genre to this day.

All that said ... the music being mentioned in this thread all seems like brand-new music to me But academically, I know things really do change fast.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite^Guy
What, you mean Matchbox 20, Three Doors Down, and the Foo Fighters are nostalgic??
I consider these bands relatively current, even their early albums.
Mind you, ten years ago, I was 25...

There seems to be this "musical event horizon" for most people, at which point music relevant to one's own experiences quits getting made. Once that happens, everything past the horizon kind of gets thrown into the same bin.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Also, it's very easy to be nostalgic for the radio pop of the past when everything on the radio now is CRAP! I can turn on the same exact radio station that I used to listen to in my room on my boom box after hockey practice when I was 12 years old, that would play The Sundays and Better Than Ezra and The Wallflowers, I can turn on that same radio station now and all that's on is hump-and-bump repetitive trash rap and talentless pop-punk acts. It's very easy to get nostalgic when that's the situation you have.
The Fray? The Strokes? The Killers? The Shins? The Bravery? The Arctic Monkeys? The Franz Ferdinand? The Modest Mouse?

Look kid, I shouldn't be having to tell you where to find good music.

Actually, we had a similar problem growing up in the 80s. Most 80s music, besides it's nostalgic value for people over 30, pretty much sucks. It was cheesy, pretentious and overly commercial (remind you of anything?). We mostly listened to 70s classic rock radio when we wanted a break from Debbie Gibson and New Kids on the Block.

I was fortunate to go off to college the same year Nirvana's Nevermind and Pearl Jam's Ten was released, ushering in the alt-rock age. But pretty much all though college and my 20s, people just did not listen to music from 1980-1989.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

When I hear late 90s music, I am alarmed to realise it was from over ten years ago. I tend to think of 1995 as "recent". This is because, at 38 yrs, I am now officially old.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond

There seems to be this "musical event horizon" for most people, at which point music relevant to one's own experiences quits getting made. Once that happens, everything past the horizon kind of gets thrown into the same bin.

I think that makes sense.

I find that as I get older, I have a larger and larger bin of music to pull from. Some of it is current. Some of it is tied to experiences I had when I was younger. Other music just happens to fit in with my current tastes, even if the music is a few years old.

Another thing. I think a lot of 90s rock music tends to have a bit more longevity than some other music. People will be listening to The Wallflowers or Matchbox Twenty songs along with Zeppelin and The Who long after any of the various current pop princesses have gone the way of Debbie Gibson and Tifanny.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:50 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataraxy
Shouldn't late, not early, twentysomethings be the ones nostalgic for this music?
No. We know it sucks.

To be more specific and less thread-crappy: in no way is Weezer a late-90s band. They got together in 1991 and released their first album, which contained their biggest hits until the last few years, in 1994. (This is from Wikipedia; I'm not a big Weezer fan.) They were dormant in the late '90s- not to be confused with the doormats who like their music.

Blues Traveler also made it big in 1994. Better than Ezra's hit "Good," which I thought was an absolutely abysmal song, is from 1995.

I'm not going to go through the rest of that list band by band, but I see Argent got Sugar Ray correct, time-wise. I'm surprised he didn't mention Smash Mouth, who might be the only popular band from that period that was worse than Sugar Ray. On review I see somebody else dragged them into it, however.

Last edited by Marley23; 08-05-2008 at 10:51 AM..
Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of the Lord
Okay, actually being, like, serious here. I have the following in heavy rotation in my iTunes/on my iPod:

"Come to My Window" --Melissa Etheridge
All of Alanis's Jagged Little Pill
"Lovefool" --The Cartigans
"Macarena" --Los Del Rio
"Another Night" --Real McCoy
"The Mummers' Dance" --Loreena McKennit
"I Want You" --Savage Garden
"Bittersweet Symphony" --The Verve
"Iris" --The Goo Goo Dolls
"Here With Me" --Dido
"Take a Picture" --Filter
"Angels Would Fall" --Melissa Etheridge
"Livin' la Vida Loca" --Ricky Martin
"She's So High" --Tal Bachman.
All off Third Eye Blind's first album.
"Tubthumping" --Chumbawamba (to be fair, I have a LOT of other stuff by them)
"She Likes Me for Me (Hey, Leonardo)" --Blessid Union of Souls
"Steal My Sunshine" --Len
"I Don't Wanna Wait" --Paula Cole
"It's All Coming Back to Me Now" --Céline Dion
"Can't Change Me" --Chris Cornell
"Kryptonite" --Three Doors Down
"I Love You Always Forever" --Donna Lewis
"Learn to Fly" --Foo Fighters
"Push" --Matchbox Twenty
"Don't Speak" --No Doubt
"Wonderwall" --Oasis
All of Californication by The Red Hot Chili Peppers.
"You Get What You Give" --New Radicals

Fuck. . .I guess you could say nostalgia hit me hard (though a few of those are more mid-90s, and one or two might be 2000). I'm 25.
About a 3rd of that I would use your exact description for later music. Just like people about 10 years older would do for me and my list. And on and on down the line.

You like the music you liked in high school, mostly, and the transition seems to be about 10 years.

You're not special, and your music is no different than what is playing now, it's just special to you.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537
The Fray? The Strokes? The Killers? The Shins? The Bravery? The Arctic Monkeys? The Franz Ferdinand? The Modest Mouse?

Look kid, I shouldn't be having to tell you where to find good music.
Of all those bands the only one I can stomach is Modest Mouse, and even then, only their older stuff. The Fray? Yechhhh. Strokes - a few OK songs but they all sound the same, with repetitive riffs and voice filters. Franz Ferdinand, Killers and Arctic Monkeys, never thought of them as anything other than mediocre.

I know there's good music being made right now.

My Morning Jacket. Grizzly Bear. The Bird and the Bee. Drive By Truckers, the Fiery Furnaces, Kings of Leon...

Lots of others.

I like indie rock, I hate pre-packaged commercialized indie rock.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I like indie rock, I hate pre-packaged commercialized indie rock.
Ehhh, pretty much any indie rock you're going to hear is pre-packaged commercialized indie rock.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:

I'll second that, 22 is precisely when it started kicking in for me. I started aggressivly making nostalgia purchases at age 22. I thought I was reaching deep into the wayback machine than anyone had ever contemplated before, buying stuff in 1993 that was big in 1983
Old 08-05-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of the Lord
Well, what do you expect? They need something to get them through this, you know. Semi-charmed kinda life.
Meh, I want something else.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Gadaí
Ehhh, pretty much any indie rock you're going to hear is pre-packaged commercialized indie rock.

This is not true, especially if you live in a college town with a huge music scene, as I do.

Bloomington, IN is home to Secretly Canadian and Jagjaguwar records, two very prominent indie rock labels but I highly doubt anyone who's not "into" the scene will have heard of them. Nevertheless they have some remarkably successful acts signed to them:

-Secretly Canadian-

* Animal Collective
* Antony and the Johnsons
* Ativin
* Bodies of Water
* Catfish Haven
* Danielson Famile
* The Earlies
* Early Day Miners
* Dave Fischoff
* Havergal
* The Horns of Happiness
* Frida Hyvönen
* I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness
* The Impossible Shapes
* Instruments of Science & Technology
* Damien Jurado
* Suzanne Langille & Loren MazzaCane Connors
* Jens Lekman
* Magnolia Electric Co
* Marmoset
* Scout Niblett
* Normanoak
* June Panic
* The Panoply Academy
* Racebannon
* Songs: Ohia
* Nikki Sudden & The Jacobites
* Swearing at Motorists
* Swell Maps
* Richard Swift
* The War on Drugs
* Throw Me The Statue
* Bobb Trimble
* David Vandervelde
* Windsor for the Derby

-Jagjaguwar-

* Alex Delivery
* Aspera
* The Besnard Lakes
* Bevel
* Black Mountain
* Bon Iver
* Company
* Robert Creeley
* The Curious Digit
* Dirty Faces
* Julie Doiron
* Drunk
* Jad Fair
* Fuck
* Daniel Johnston
* Simon Joyner
* Ladyhawk
* Lightning Dust
* Love Life
* Manishevitz
* Minus Story
* Monroe Mustang
* Nad Navillus
* Nagisa Ni Te
* Oakley Hall
* Odawas
* Okkervil River
* Oneida
* Parker Paul
* Parts & Labor
* Patrick Phelan
* Pink Mountaintops
* Pterodactyl
* The Skygreen Leopards
* South
* Spokane
* Stigma Rock Unit
* Swan Lake
* Sunset Rubdown
* The Union of a Man and a Woman
* Sarah White
* Wilderness
* Richard Youngs

The bands or artists I've highlighted in purple are all acts who have achieved a relative degree of success in the music world. Animal Collective is probably the most notable. Jens Lekman is very popular in America as well as his native Sweden. But most of them are very unlikely to be known about by the average mainstream music listener.

All those acts range from "horrible" to "absolutely amazing" but I wouldn't describe any of them as "commercialized pre-packaged indie rock."

Last edited by Argent Towers; 08-05-2008 at 11:12 AM..
Old 08-05-2008, 11:15 AM

90s music was just better than the 00s, wasn't it?

Take Angel of the Lords list. There is some good stuff there. I would be hard pressed to think of a single song of this decade that is on the level of Bittersweet Symphony or Wonderwall.

Take msmith537s list of good bands from the 00s. Of that list only Franz Ferdinand and The Strokes debut is remarkable music, to me. Compare the 90s Nirvana, Blur, Radioheads OK computer duology, Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:18 AM

I agree, although of course there's always going to be the person who has to say, "it's all subjective!"

But I don't think there has been one single song which has been played on top 40 radio stations, since the year 2000, which has been as good a song as Lovefool by The Cardigans or Summertime by The Sundays.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. jp
Take msmith537s list of good bands from the 00s. Of that list only Franz Ferdinand and The Strokes debut is remarkable music, to me. Compare the 90s Nirvana, Blur, Radioheads OK computer duology, Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.
I'm sure in 10 years though we could come up with just as good a list of classic songs from the 00s.

But as a general rule, I still like music from the 90s better than music from either the 80s or 00s.

Actually, I don't know if I would necessarily call my list "good" so much that it is derivative of music from the 80s and 90s.

Last edited by msmith537; 08-05-2008 at 11:50 AM..
Old 08-05-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I agree, although of course there's always going to be the person who has to say, "it's all subjective!"

But I don't think there has been one single song which has been played on top 40 radio stations, since the year 2000, which has been as good a song as Lovefool by The Cardigans or Summertime by The Sundays.
Looking at Billboard's list of #1 hits 2000-2007, you're mostly right with a few exceptions. Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" is a great song, (although it only made it to #2 in the US). Eminem's "Lose Yourself" is also fantastic IMHO, and I don't usually like rap either.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
All those acts range from "horrible" to "absolutely amazing" but I wouldn't describe any of them as "commercialized pre-packaged indie rock."
I've got albums by a number of them, seen one or two live. Most of the bands you've highlighted in purple and some of the others have played sell out shows in Ireland. (I think obscure/leftfield/hipster/oddball/whatever stuff is bigger here per capita than in the US) There aren't many of these bands that I've heard that I would categorise as indie rock so when you say you wouldn't describe any of them as "commericalized pre-packaged indie rock" neither would I, I wouldn't call them indie rock in the first place. However I get your point completely and splitting hairs musically is a silly thing for me to do so I concede your point.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 AM

I'm 26. Angel of the Lord's playlist is pretty much exactly what I consider nostalgia music. It's what I listened to in high school, sure enough.

Compounding that is the fact that I don't take in much new music at all. I've stopped listening to the radio, I don't have XM/Sirius, I don't follow music at all except in exceptional circumstances. My musical 'growth' more or less plateaued at Three Doors Down and Foo Fighters.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I'm 22.
[...]
Furthermore, you kids stay off the lawn!

I get where you're coming from. It was exactly the same when I was in college in the mid-90s and the big 80's retro music boom came out. My roommate drunk-bought some TimeLife collection for $99 and played the hell out of that thing.

Feels weird to me though. I mean, the 80's stuff was played during my formatice years. Better then Ezra was just... you know... stuff played on the radio ten years ago.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel
Furthermore, you kids stay off the lawn!
I realize the humor here, but really - if you examine the top 40 hits that are on the radio now, and compare them to what was on in 1997 - even trying to be as objective as possible - today's music is just not as musically interesting. It's so much more repetitive.

I remember when Bittersweet Symphony first started getting heavy radio play, my friend James said, "the music in the background is just the same thing over and over again." As if that was something unusual. Nowadays, it's pretty much the standard.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Resident Archangel
Charter Member

Okay, just as an aside. . .I *do* still listen to new stuff. Not radio stuff, usually, but newer music. Lots of the Celto-punk stuff that's more popular now than it was back then, for instance. I like AFI--which really didn't get popular until after I graduated college--and Three Days Grace (even though I gleefully acknowledge that they suck). And different weird stuff. Idlewild. Lots of techno-y stuff I wasn't into back then. Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip is my current obsession.

But, man, if I'm feeling down, nothing gets me like the music of the late 90s....
Old 08-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Waitaminute, the late nineties seems significantly long enough ago for young people to feel nostalgic about?

It makes sense when you spell it out, but.... damn.

(I didn't feel nostalgia for anything when I was 22. I didn't get around to the early eighties until I was over thirty.)

Creak.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mudd
Waitaminute, the late nineties seems significantly long enough ago for young people to feel nostalgic about?
Our culture eats itself at such a rate that you can find people who are nostalgic for stuff that happened 15 minutes ago.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:32 PM

Man, I hated that shit back then and I still do.

At the time I was into 311, Sublime, Pantera, Wu Tang, Bob Marley and a ton of lesser-known stuff. Now sadly, after years of screaming that my passion for music will never die, I'm not listening to much music anymore.

High school class of '99
Old 08-05-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Looking at Billboard's list of #1 hits 2000-2007, you're mostly right with a few exceptions. Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" is a great song, (although it only made it to #2 in the US). Eminem's "Lose Yourself" is also fantastic IMHO, and I don't usually like rap either.

Yeah but the "Number One Hits" from the 90s also mostly sucked. It's all Madonna, Boys 2 Men pop crap.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
I like:
There's some good number 1 songs in the 2000's.
Vertical Horizon- "Everything You Want"
OutKast- "Ms. Jackson"
OutKast- "Hey Ya!"
Twista featuring Kanye West and Jamie Foxx- "Slow Jamz"
Kanye West- "Stronger"

I'd say that "Hey Ya" and "Stronger" are great songs.

I think I'll look for ones I like from the 90's:
Prince and the New Power Generation- "Cream"
Ace of Base- "The Sign" (there's probably a nostalgia factor here)
Lauryn Hill- "Doo Wop (That Thing)"

The 2000's win by a lot, IMO. At least compared to the 90's... let's see, there are 19 songs I like in the 80's and a good number of them I'd consider great. And of course there is a ridiculous number of good and great number 1's in the 60's.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Twee Varmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23
Our culture eats itself at such a rate that you can find people who are nostalgic for stuff that happened 15 minutes ago.
Remember that one time, when Marley23 posted in this thread? I miss that.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537

Another thing. I think a lot of 90s rock music tends to have a bit more longevity than some other music. People will be listening to The Wallflowers or Matchbox Twenty songs along with Zeppelin and The Who long after any of the various current pop princesses have gone the way of Debbie Gibson and Tifanny.
Wow, I must say, I've never heard The Wallflowers get this much respect. I love them, but I seem to be the only one around me that does. Breach is one of my favorite albums, though I'm not such a big fan of Red Letter Days.

I don't know if they'll hold up for people in the long run, but they'll always hold a half-nostalgic place in my heart (class of '99 here).
Old 08-06-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon Karrde
I like:
There's some good number 1 songs in the 2000's.
Vertical Horizon- "Everything You Want"
OutKast- "Ms. Jackson"
OutKast- "Hey Ya!"
Twista featuring Kanye West and Jamie Foxx- "Slow Jamz"
Kanye West- "Stronger"

I'd say that "Hey Ya" and "Stronger" are great songs.

I think I'll look for ones I like from the 90's:
Prince and the New Power Generation- "Cream"
Ace of Base- "The Sign" (there's probably a nostalgia factor here)
Lauryn Hill- "Doo Wop (That Thing)"

The 2000's win by a lot, IMO. At least compared to the 90's... let's see, there are 19 songs I like in the 80's and a good number of them I'd consider great. And of course there is a ridiculous number of good and great number 1's in the 60's.
I think the #1s on the american billboard is a very bad measure of the musical level of decades. At least we should look at the whole top40. And Stronger, really? It's just a Daft Punk rip-off.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:59 AM

I'm 26, and I don't get "nostalgic" for music from any given era- I like what I like, and my MP3 playlist runs the gamut from Peter Frampton to Madness to Led Zeppelin to Martin Denny to FatBoy Slim.

Occasionally I'll hear a song on the radio that I remember from High School and get reminded of how long ago that was when the announcer says something like "That was Walking On The Sun by Smash Mouth, from way back in 1997... coming up next, it's Whiny Emo Kids and Some Song You've Never Heard Of", and I'm sitting there thinking "Was it really 1997 that song came out???"

I have to say that there have been a couple of songs out this year that I've liked- Sweet About Me by Gabriella Cilmi, The Longest Road by Morgan Page, and American Boy by Estelle and Kanye West spring to mind- but otherwise, I've been hearing a lot of forgettable crap, or worse, cover versions or remixes of stuff that was actually good from the '70s and '80s. I'm still trying to work out how Kid Rock managed to combine Sweet Home Alabama and Werewolves of London and come up a song that wasn't great...

For the record, my current "Greatest Rock Song Of The Last 10 years" is Knights of Cydonia by Muse, and personally I think it's right up there with Kashmir by Led Zeppelin as one of the Greatest Rock Songs Of All Time. But I've never heard of any of the bands in Argent Towers' post, so that probably disqualifies me from having an Informed Opinion on Modern Music...

Last edited by Martini Enfield; 08-06-2008 at 04:00 AM..
Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 AM

I'm 23, and don't feel nostalgic for anything

There's way too many good bands around these days to dwell on late 90's stuff. If you like 90's bands like Oasis, Blur etc. check out The Music, The Enemy, Kasabian etc. Even The Verve have just reformed.

Last edited by Capt. Ridley's Shooting Party; 08-06-2008 at 04:28 AM..
Old 08-06-2008, 05:16 AM

I think some of you people are not realizing how different the world was for us when were 12.

When I was 12, I was a kid living at home, the world seemed like a safe, stable place, it was before 9/11, there was no specter of international terrorism or a "war on terror" claiming thousands of lives, Bill Clinton was president, the economy was in good shape and there was no panic over the price of gas or anything else. The only things I needed to worry about were getting good grades in school, playing hockey, and having crushes on girls.

Fast forward to 22...what has changed here? A lot.

When I look back on those times it's like a completely different life. I can't even wrap my head around the fact that I used to be that kid. And that kid had a musical soundtrack to his life, and that music is always going to be extremely special to me.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I think some of you people are not realizing how different the world was for us when were 12.

Dude, I was twelve in 1984. We grew up thinking we were going to be blasted into glass by Soviet ICBMs. I still remember as a little kid sitting in gas lines in our family station wagon with no AC and windows that didn't roll down. We had the bombings of the Marines baracks in Lebanon, the hostage crisis in Iran, space shuttles exploding and all kinds of other shit. Remember I grew up with Reagan and Bush Sr.

I think for my generation, the 1990s was a time of relative peace and prosperity that because of our childhoods, our cynical nature wouldn't let us enjoy.

But I hear what you are saying. The 80s as a kid were very different to me than the 90s as a late teen/early adult. I just wish I grew up with better music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Wow, I must say, I've never heard The Wallflowers get this much respect. I love them, but I seem to be the only one around me that does. Breach is one of my favorite albums, though I'm not such a big fan of Red Letter Days.

Well, I don't know if I would put them in the same category as Zeppelin and The Who (although I don't really like the who). But I think that as a traditional rock band they just have that timeless quality that a lot of other genres might not have.

Another thing I should point out. A lot of the alt rock music hasn't changed that much over the years. I have a genre on my iPod of all the similar sounding post-Seattle grunge alt rock bands that spans like 20 years - Bush, Live, Collective Soul, Silverchair, Creed, Lifehouse, Daughtry, Nickleback, etc, etc
Old 08-06-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:

Or maybe they realize that they've gone through the same thing that you're going through? No crap, life is different at 12 compared to 22. I'm 26 so I know what you mean, but I had to laugh when I read:

Quote:
I remember when I heard that song for the first time, I was riding with my friend Jordan in his mom's Expedition and it came on the radio and he said, "a BRITISH rap group?"
Do you realize how damn young you sound here, with a friend named Jordan and riding in an Expedition (as opposed to a Caprice Classic, an LTD, a Chevette, whatever)? It's cute. And I say that as someone only a couple of years older than you.