Do you think manual transmissions in cars will make a comeback?

I was cogitating on this the other day, that manual transmissions on cars have never gone away, but they have certainly gotten much less common in North America. Since you tend to get better gas mileage with a manual transmission, I’m wondering if they will start to make a comeback (due to high gas prices, of course). What do you think? Are North Americans too far past driving stick, or will they embrace the idea of adding a few mpgs with manual transmission cars?

I think more fuel efficient automatics will be the solution and not a return to stick.

This is partially wishful thinking on my part, as me driving a stick sounds like a gorilla making love to a Chihuahua.

I think that automatics are too common for it to ever become popular again. Most people learn to drive on them, and a stick can seem daunting (Technically, I can drive a stick, but it’s not something I’d do outside of an emergency–I’m not much good at it). There’s still those people who prefer it, so I don’t think they’ll ever go away either, but people are lazy–they’ll go with what they know, especially if what they know is easier. There’s plenty of other tricks to add MPG that don’t involve relearning how to drive.

I love my manual transmission. It’s certainly more fun to drive. I hope we see more manuals around. I don’t want my driving to be like a video game.

The best automatic transmissions are more efficient than manual transmissions these days. I think that fully manual transmissions will only be seen in high end sports cars, but that a lot of automatics will have a manual mode for when the driver wants to switch.

They’ve never gone away here. I would consider them the default choice, especially on the low-end models. If you pass the driving test in an automatic then you aren’t cleared for manual shift ones, hence most people tend to learn on a manual.

Not so much the case anymore. There used to be a huge (5-7MPG) difference between manual and auto. Nowadays, it’s 1-2 MPG - if any.

I learned on manual. I like manuals. I own a manual. But they aren’t going to make a comeback based on fuel effiency.

FYI - not so in the states.

My current car is a stick. For the type of driving I do (city/suburban) any theoretical increase in gas mileage is more than offset by the constant up and downshifting in stop and go traffic. Plus the constant use of the clutch means that at some point I’ll be facing a major repair that will more than offset the total I’ve saved in gas over the years.

All this romance about how fun it is to drive a stick is irrelevant on a crowded freeway. My next car will be an automatic.

I hope so. One of the things working against a resurgence in manuals is the idea car companies have that people should pay EXTRA for manual. I bought a Corvette in '02 and a manual transmission was actually a $785 add-on. Eek.

Exactly. In Texas, we have a comparative provision, however.

If you take the Concealed Handgun course using a revolver, you are not licensed to carry a semi-automatic.

:smack:

Additionally the Hybrids work better as automatics than manuals so one more reason why manuals will not be returning.

I drive a stick and not because it saves gas. Heck, I always thought it might but never knew for sure. I just like to feel like I have a little control over my car.

Now I can’t drive an automatic because I step on the brake when I try to clutch. Scares the piss out of my family.

Last time we did this, I pulled up some EPA numbers and there are cars out there where the automatic gets 1-2 mpg better than the stick.

[hijack]this may be the best post/username combo I’ve seen this week.[/hijack]

To the OP: what others have said. Actually, our BMW X-3 is an automatic, but can switch to stick if you prefer. My hubby often does. I myself leave it on auto when I drive it. I’m capable of driving a stick, but prefer not to.

I learned on a manual. I like manuals. But I have bad knees, so I drive an automatic. I feel kind of sad about that. I like the feel of a manual.

And on some cars, automatic costs more. The car companies correctly figure that if you’re buying a Corvette, you’re going to get a manual transmission because it’s more fun to drive a sportscar as a manual - not because of mileage. And they’re right - you bought it. :cool:

(I wish I could drive a manual Corvette. :frowning: )

Either CVTs or Dual Clutch Gearboxes will be the way of the future. Virtually all major car companies either already are or will soon be offering dual clutch boxes across the range.

You can get a 6 speed DSG on the current year model of the European-market Ford Focus, for god’s sake.

My father claims he drives stick for fuel efficiency. I think he really drives stick because Mom can’t.

Owls tried that a couple times with our Prius, but quickly adjusted. Since he’s driven the Ranger all of twice since April, now it’s the stick he’s out of touch with.

All the better because it never occured to me that I was punning. :smack:

I don’t know whether manuals will ever come back. I can believe the claims here that while manuals in the past have been more fuel efficient, automatics are becoming sophisticated enough to improve mileage for the average driver. So that’s going to be one factor.

A more important one is that most younger people I know just don’t know how to drive a stick, and have never learned, unless their parents were one of the “sticks are more fun” contingent.