What percentage of people need to be sedated for dental work?

My wife and I got into it the other day because I insist on taking a Valium before going to the dentist. She thinks I’m a colossal coward, and maintains that I’m the only person she’s ever known who does this. I countered that it’s perfectly normal, and that everybody does it. She thinks I’m full of it. So who’s right? What percentage of the general population need mother’s little helper or other form of sedation when facing the drill?

I’ve never heard of anyone doing that before.

Neither have I, but it seems dentists are warming to the idea.

I’ve never done that. Was this just a regular cleaning, or were you having some serious work done? Even as a kid I wasn’t given anything for just the cleanings, and I had nine (I think) cavities filled and never had anything other than (I’m guessing) lidocaine or Novocaine. One time I had three done at once, and I was barely ten. Still hurt even with being numbed.

Basically a buttload of crowns and root canals. My insurance wouldn’t cover nitrous, so I just asked for some 10 mg. Valiums. Two of those and I’m happy as a clam—you can drill ‘til you hit oil for all I care.

I don’t know that everybody does it, but if I had a Valium prescription, I’d probably do it. One of my sisters does it.

My sisters remember going to a dentist who gave them button-style pins that said, “I’m a member of the I Can Take It Club.” Yikes! There’s some positive reinforcement. Not.

Washoe, you’re not a weenie. You’re doing what works for you. Why the heck should your wife make this an issue? It’s a dental appointment, not a character-building exercise. Do what you need to do to get through it so you’ll be OK with continuing to get regular dental care.

Not me. Heck, I pulled off getting a filling with nothing but a little numbing gel. What I ought to do is request Valium for dental work and squirrel it for my pelvic exams.

Good plan. I always ask for more than I really need and save the extras for public speaking situations.

I think you would have to admit you’re wrong about this. I doubt very many people do it at all, and it certainly wouldn’t be classed under “perfectly normal”. Routine medications that your dentist gives might even cause serious problems when having to mix with whatever you take independently.

(I am not a pharmacist)

100% of me has to be sedated.

My dentist is a mensch. He puts me on the gas, then puts a topical any place he might give me shots, then gives me shots. He’s also an MD and has a full operating room where he can take people all the way out and he’s done that for me when I needed extractions.

I met him years ago when I installed TV above each of his chairs and headphones jacks by each chair. When you’re in the chair, on gas, remote control in hand - anything happening from your nose on down is like war in some far off country that you’ve never heard of. You know it’s probably bloody and awful, but you have no personal connection to it.

I’d do it. A few months back I finally got around to seeing a dentist for the first time in about ten to fifteen years. Took a lot of calling around to be sure that at the first sign of trouble there would be plenty of sedation options (then it took a lot of fits and starts to actually keep the appointment). Didn’t end up needing any work, but if it weren’t for a VERY nice tech on the phone when I made the appointment, I’d have done what I could to make things easier.

That “I can take it club” pin gives me the willies.

OK, but don’t forget that I’m including all forms of sedation—nitrous, Demerol, etc. Maybe I didn’t really make that clear in the OP. I’ve been told that Hispanics in particular have an above-average fear of dental procedures and that ‘twilight sleep’ anesthesia is popular with them.

I am immune to nerve blocks. I have to be put under for major dental work. I didn’t go to the dentist for a decade after I sobbed my way through an unmedicated root canal. Took me a long time to find a dentist who would believe me.

ETA: I know I’m not “perfectly normal”. I am at the very far end of the bell curve on this.

I’ve got a two and a half year old who’s going to need to have full anaesthesia for a couple of hours while she gets some crowns and possible extractions done. It makes me nervous, but she screams and fights just when getting her teeth examined, so I don’t think there’s an alternative.

ETA: so in answer to the OP, probably the vast majority of very small children who do have to get this kind of thing done.

The gave me some kind of benzodiazepine to take before getting my wisdom teeth pulled. I have zero dental anxiety (but I could certainly use benzos for everyday life), but they gave me a pill or two without prompting.

I have three unrepaired broken teeth that hurt all the time. That’s how afraid of the dentist I am. As soon as I find someone who will give me enough of the proper meds at the right time, I’m going to have 'em all pulled and switch to dentures.

My sadistic orthodontist misdiagnosed an infected tooth that spewed evil up into my skull, and I nearly had to have a hole drilled in my cheek to let the goo escape. Then there was the root canal. My hands were held back the whole time.

Teeth suck.

I think they bite, actually.

The only time I’ve ever had more than novocaine for dental work was when I had my wisdom teeth out (at age 33 or so). The surgeon said

“Most people just go with a strong local for extractions.”

“Really?” says I? “Why?”

"The general cost an extra $250 and it’s not covered by insurance.

THUNK. Sound of $250 cash hitting the table.

Dentist: “Well, that settles that. Sit right down.”

Cheap at the price, my friends. I had no wish to be there while he was working.

I always insist on 3% Lidocaine instead of 1%.

Afterward, I take a Tylenol 3 every fifteen minutes with a shot of Jack Daniels until the pain goes away.

I can deal with drilling with just a local, but with extractions I need sedation and, if possible, general anesthesia (or at least that memory erasure stuff). One of these days, I’m going to save enough money to just go in, get put out, have everything pulled out, and be fitted for dentures. Then I can put my long dental nightmare behind me and actually smile like a normal person again.

My dentist offers Valium (or another benzodiazepine as appropriate) to everyone who feels they need it. Many people are very afraid of pain associated with dental work and he is trying to alleviate that. He calls in a prescription for the meds and you take it before the appointment. He does, however insist that someone else drive you to and from your appointment if you get the meds. He also offers nitrous, an offer I am happy to accept. However, I don’t think it is the norm.

To expand on what GuanoLad said, if you take meds that your dentist didn’t prescribe (supposing you just had a few Valium lying around) please, please TELL HIM ABOUT IT. Make sure he or she knows about all medications you are taking to avoid complications due to drug interactions. Don’t be afraid, even if your meds aren’t quite legal.

Will Repair, I hope you aren’t serious about that medication dosage. :eek: I’m going to assume it was a joke.