Could you actually make bread from bones?

Like giants do in fairy tales. Could you actually do that with appropriate equipment?

Bone Meal?

Bone meal has no gluten or other yeasty, bready things. All you’d have is nasty cooked bone meal. You can add some small amount of bone meal to bread flour but not sure how that tastes.

I don’t see why you couldn’t put some bonemeal into the dough, but I’m not sure an all-bone loaf would work. Why don’t you try one cup of bonemeal in your regular recipe, and see how that works? (Note: I do not advocate the killing of any Englishmen, for breadmaking purposes or otherwise.)

To be fair to the giants, though, I don’t think they ever actually make such loaves, much less eat them; they just threaten.

ETA: Drat you, astro! Faster on the submit button, with a link no less.

No.

With no sugars for the yeast to process, you would not get any CO2. So all-bone meal would have to rise from the action of eggs or (more likely) baking soda (or am I off on that?). In any case, at some point it is no longer bread.

Well, you couldn’t make yeast-risen bread, but you could make a flatbread. Like a tortilla or an Indian chapatti, patted out into a thin cake and baked on a hot stone. Wet bone meal will cake up like a mudpie, and you could squish it into something bake-able.

So yeah, the giant could have ground his bones to make his bread, as long as by “bread” you don’t insist on yeast bread.

What about the nourishing marrowbone jelly? The giant didn’t specify which part of the bone he’d be using.

Could you add some sort of sugar product for the yeast to act upon, and have… sweet bone-bread?

You will need some protien to coagulate. I think you would just be adding bone to bread mix since I don’t think that the bone will do anything essential in the bread process.

The problem is that bonemeal won’t have the cohesion of gluten-filled wheat paste, or even starch-covered tortilla/polenta/risotto. So with bonemeal and water you wouldn’t get a chapati; just a pile of bonemeal that falls apart as soon as the heat dries it out again (like a dried-out sandcastle).

Well, if he’s going to grind up fresh bones (because the story doesn’t actually say, “I’ll steam your bones, and then grind them”, it just says “I’ll grind your bones”), presumably the marrow would be in with it, which is fat, which would probably serve to glue it together into a reasonable simulacrum of a chapatti.

I still think it could work.

I love this place. :smiley:

As to texture, rather than taste, it would be rather gritty. Ever taste a dog biscuit?

Given the other advanced experimental work other GQ threads have prompted, surely we can get a volunteer to make the test?

I would, however, encourage the use of beef soup bones rather than the bones of an Englishmun.

While the marrow could contain some protien to form the bread, I don’t think it is enough to compensate for the large quantity of essentially useless calcium phosphate powder.

Maybe an egg matrix, then, with some form of acid-and-base leavening? Although that might be more of a fluffy, gritty omelette than “bread”, per se.

At best, you might get a very crumbly bone-cookie.

Bone meal has been used to adulterate flour in the past (not sure if this was the content of astro’s link - because it isn’t working for me)

If you are gonna try this, be sure to use bone-meal not contaminated with lead or bovine spongiform encephalopathy organisms!!!

“Bread” used to have a more broader meaning: A piece or morsel of food, entymologically related to the word “break”.

I’m normally very much on board for culinary experiments, but this one does nothing for me.

Interestingly, ‘meat’ was once similarly generic.