Old 09-05-2008, 05:22 PM

Guitar collectors and connoisseurs

Seeing the thread about the sales of vintage and collectable guitars, lead me to ask this of the guitar players here on The Dope .....

What guitar, that still extists (no lost, missing or destroyed models), is still owned by the original owner or artist that makes the guitar valuable - could arguably be considered either the most monetarily valuable guitar, or would be the most desired by collectors and fans, were the guitar available for sale?

What guitar, no longer owner by the original or famous artist, his family or estate, would be considered the same?

Please give the style and model of the guitar and what, if there is a particular action or circumstance, makes this guitar more valuable or desired over other guitars used by the same artist.

If you can link to an actual picture of the guitar, or an identical model, it would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger View Post
Seeing the thread about the sales of vintage and collectable guitars, lead me to ask this of the guitar players here on The Dope .....

What guitar, that still extists (no lost, missing or destroyed models), is still owned by the original owner or artist that makes the guitar valuable - could arguably be considered either the most monetarily valuable guitar, or would be the most desired by collectors and fans, were the guitar available for sale?

What guitar, no longer owner by the original or famous artist, his family or estate, would be considered the same?

Please give the style and model of the guitar and what, if there is a particular action or circumstance, makes this guitar more valuable or desired over other guitars used by the same artist.

If you can link to an actual picture of the guitar, or an identical model, it would be appreciated.
It's late in the day to post all the geekery - but there is a lot of discussion on this:

- Most collectible/valuable that is still owned by the original artist: the general consensus on boards I hang out on is Jimmy Page's #1 Les Paul 'burst - lots of mods on it (different wiring, re-shaped neck, etc.). It a '58 Gibson Les Paul Sunburst - already the Stradivarious / Holy Grail of guitars - and this is the one played by one of the most influential guitar players. And yeah, I know he got it from Joe Walsh - I mean "original artist" in terms of who made it famous...

- Most collectible not currently owned by the original player? Probably Clapton's Beano 'burst - the guitar he used on John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers featuring Eric Clapton - the album that lead to Clapton is God and was a main driver behind sunburst Les Pauls becoming the legends they have become. It was stolen in '66 I think - there are HUGE threads in the LP Forum trying to piece facts together to find it. If Clapton's Blackie sold for $1 million a year or two ago, I wouldn't want to guess what the Beano 'burst would go for if properly authenticated - but much, much more. And yeah, he bought it based on Andy Summers' recommendation (according to Andy) and then bought Andy's own 'burst off him when the Beano 'burst got nicked.

Beyond that, you have the usual suspects of highly collected artists like the Beatles, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jerry Garcia, etc...but I suspect that those two are the biggies...

Last edited by WordMan; 09-05-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
It's late in the day to post all the geekery - but there is a lot of discussion on this:

- Most collectible/valuable that is still owned by the original artist: the general consensus on boards I hang out on is Jimmy Page's #1 Les Paul 'burst - lots of mods on it (different wiring, re-shaped neck, etc.). It a '58 Gibson Les Paul Sunburst - already the Stradivarious / Holy Grail of guitars - and this is the one played by one of the most influential guitar players. And yeah, I know he got it from Joe Walsh - I mean "original artist" in terms of who made it famous...

- Most collectible not currently owned by the original player? Probably Clapton's Beano 'burst - the guitar he used on John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers featuring Eric Clapton - the album that lead to Clapton is God and was a main driver behind sunburst Les Pauls becoming the legends they have become. It was stolen in '66 I think - there are HUGE threads in the LP Forum trying to piece facts together to find it. If Clapton's Blackie sold for $1 million a year or two ago, I wouldn't want to guess what the Beano 'burst would go for if properly authenticated - but much, much more. And yeah, he bought it based on Andy Summers' recommendation (according to Andy) and then bought Andy's own 'burst off him when the Beano 'burst got nicked.

Beyond that, you have the usual suspects of highly collected artists like the Beatles, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jerry Garcia, etc...but I suspect that those two are the biggies...
Most definitely, Pagey's #1 is the most wanted and would probably get a pretty respectable amount at auction...

Other's I can think of are BB King's original acoustic "Lucille" if it still exists, Vaughn's "Lenny", and personally, I'd like a crack at Angus Young's first '62 SG which I believe he still owns...

But I think at auction #3 on the list after the two that WordMan mentioned would have to be Van Halens original Frankenstrat. That would pull in a pretty penny I'm sure...
Old 09-05-2008, 09:41 PM

Neil Young's is still using Old Black even after 30 years. He's probably recorded most of his electric oeuvre with this one guitar.

Last edited by Neon Madman; 09-05-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Madman View Post
Neil Young's is still using Old Black even after 30 years. He's probably recorded most of his electric oeuvre with this one guitar.
But the Gretsch he traded for it (the one he used in Buffalo Springfield) would probably command a respectable sum, too - if only for the novelty value.

What about Dave Gilmour's #1 Strat?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamboman View Post
But the Gretsch he traded for it (the one he used in Buffalo Springfield) would probably command a respectable sum, too - if only for the novelty value.
Let's not forget Young's Acoustic Martin D-45, which was previously owned by none other than Hank Williams. He talks about it in the Heart of Gold Concert film (Great Concert Film btw). Being owned by not one but two music legends has got to make an instrument appreciate in value, to say the least.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Neon Madman and mamboman - good calls

Gilmour's #1 is a particularly great choice: a first-year 1954 Strat serial #0001. Also in a custom color with a custom anodized pickguard - it has been researched to NOT be the actual first production Strat - rather, it ended up with #0001 kinda randomly apparently as a custom order - but *still*!! The biggest issues with it not being as hot as Pagey's #1 (his nickname for it; he also has #2 - whereas Gilmour's is referred as the #1 Strat because of its serial number) are:

- Gilmour hasn't used it much - he owns it as a collector, but it is NOT a guitar used on a bunch of tracks or famously live in concert. Page's #1 was his main Zep guitar along with his Tele and Danelectro - but the Les Paul is his iconic guitar.

- A 'burst trumps a '54 Strat - a '54 Strat approaches the Holy Grail nature of a '58 - '60 sunburst LP - but still sell for 1/3 to 1/2 of what a burst goes for normally

- Page trumps Gilmour - don't get me wrong - Gilmour is AMAZING; but as far as guitar heroes go, Page is more influential than Gilmour

As for Neil Young - I simply don't know much about how collectors value Young's gear; I don't know of many sales. Old Black is a great guitar - my soul-mate guitar is very similar - and is famously associated with Neil, but I don't think it would fetch the same $$ - or be in the same league, frankly - as Page or Gilmour. His D-45- well, that *would* be something. Pre-WW2 Martin Dreadnoughts are the Holy Grail of acoustics - equivalent to 'bursts - and D-45's are the rarest of the rare - only a few made. The fact that it was owned by Hank Williams is freakin' huge - his shadow gets bigger each year, IMHO - and then being owned by NY just adds to the luster. I don't know acoustic guitars as well, but could easily see this guitar being *the one*...

(by the way Gilmour lovers - there is a new book coming out called The Black Strat - it chronicles the history of Gilmour's main all black with white pickups Strat he used in the mid 70's - quite the mongrel guitar, going through a lot of mods and changes - so this is more the equivalent of Page's LP in terms of use...)

Last edited by WordMan; 09-06-2008 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:19 PM

Not nearly as well-known as the others, but still valuable (I would think), is the Gibson Flying V (serial #7) purchased in 1958 (and still owned) by Lonnie Mack.

In my opinion, Lonnie Mack doesn't get the recognition he deserves for being a trend-setting guitarist. Stevie Ray Vaughan was heavily influenced by Lonnie, as were many others. His biggest hits were instrumental versions of Chuck Berry's "Memphis" and "Wham", a Mack original. He's also a great, soulful vocalist.

Here's some trivia: the "whammy" bar got it's nickname from Mack's tune, "Wham".

I was fortunate enough to see Lonnie perform a few times in the 1980's when he was touring in support of "Strike Like Lightning", his come-back album, produced by Stevie Ray Vaughan. Stevie also performed on several of the songs. It's well worth picking up!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 AM

I thought of another one that's probably worth a fair amount- Brian May's Red Special, hand-made by Brian and his father when Brian was a teenager.

What makes it valuable is that the original is truly one-of-a-kind and irreplaceable (you know, being hand-made and all). I have a firm grasp of the obvious, don't I?

Replicas have been produced by a few different guitar companies over the years, and Brian occasionally plays one himself.

I thought of this one because my local PBS station is doing a fund-raising drive, and last night showed Queen Rock Montreal, filmed in 1981.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

IIRC, from a Guitar Player feature in the early 1980's, the Cheap Trick guitarist had an amazing collection. Including a left handed Broadcaster.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
IIRC, from a Guitar Player feature in the early 1980's, the Cheap Trick guitarist had an amazing collection. Including a left handed Broadcaster.
Rick Nielsen is an avid collector; there was a book published featuring his collection. Back in the day, he was one of the first pawn shop scouters, finding 50's Les Pauls for less than $100.

As for May's Red Special - yep, an iconic guitar. No idea how much it would be valued at - there is nothing to compare it to! - but it is a big deal. May isn't lionized to the same extent as the Pages, Claptons, SRV, etc. - but he is very highly respected.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:59 AM

That's all part of what makes this an interesting and challenging question - it somewhat favours those guitarists who had smaller collections and stuck with one or two instruments that became iconic of them. Steve Howe is another guitarist who has a museum of fretted instruments, but I can't think of any one of his guitars that would top Page's Les Paul.

Pete Townsend went through so many, so did Hendrix, so did Kiss. If they had only played one guitar, it would be a different matter. Zappa played the strat that Hendrix burned at Montreux, if I recall correctly...

Personally, I'd be more interested in either Page's double neck or the original Tele from the first two albums, but that's just me.

For basses, I think it'd be John Entwistle's Alembic...
Old 09-07-2008, 11:21 AM

Not really a contender, but worth mentioning, I think.

One of the rarest guitars in the world combined with one of this generation's greatest guitarists.

Quote:
In the White Stripes he is now using a very rare 1957 Gretsch White Penguin. One of the rarest guitars in the world, it can be seen in the video for the song "Icky Thump."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretsch
Old 09-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belowjob2.0 View Post
Not really a contender, but worth mentioning, I think.

One of the rarest guitars in the world combined with one of this generation's greatest guitarists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretsch
Very cool - I noticed he was using a Cadillac Green one with the Raconteurs - I assumed a newer one. I gotta get me one of them.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 PM

I know little about guitars, but I'd guess Willie Nelson's Martin N-20 nylon-string acoustic "Trigger" would fetch a hefty price. There's even a movie about it.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitijea View Post
I know little about guitars, but I'd guess Willie Nelson's Martin N-20 nylon-string acoustic "Trigger" would fetch a hefty price. There's even a movie about it.
You know, I am not sure about that - meaning, yeah, it would fetch a pretty penny, but I don't think anywhere *near* the other guitars being discussed. Don't get me wrong - Willie Nelson is *the man* - but about the only thing that guitar has going for it is that it's associated so exclusively with Willie. It is a nylon-string classical acoustic - and a Martin, who are NOT known for making great classical guitars. Willie is a songwriter, not a guitar slinger, etc. Bottom line is that if a couple of Willie fans fought over it, it might go big, but otherwise, it wouldn't come near acoustics like Clapton's 40's-era concert-sized Martin steel-string used on Unplugged which went for $500,000+, IIRC - and certainly not the same as the electrics mentioned...

Having said all that - it is a wonderfully loved and abused guitar - the hole in the top from his picking motion and all the autographs and writing and such on it all make it super cool.

Last edited by WordMan; 09-08-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 AM

Hope it's not too late to add one to this list - I was thinking of it because of a question in GQ earlier today.

What about the Les Paul owned by Les Paul? According to this interview, it's a 1971 brown Recording Les Paul that he's currently playing... I imagine that'd be worth a few bucks, too.

Scroll down to about 3/4 of the way down the page...

Quote:
Les Paul guitars have been around since 1952, with countless sold -- if you could have only one, which one would you choose?

LP: The one I'm playing. It happens to be a Les Paul Recording and it's not the most popular one of the Les Paul line for many reasons.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Ministre de l'au-delà View Post
What about the Les Paul owned by Les Paul?
I've wondered if Les Paul is a little amused to see the few Gibson Les Paul <famous name> Signature models. Example. I mean, ALL Les Paul guitars are signature models, right? So the notion of a 'signature' Les Paul is a level of recursion.

So: what if someone became famous playing a specific Les Paul <famous name> signature guitar? If it were me, would Gibson issue, for example, a Gibson Squeegee Signature Les Paul Slash Signature Les Paul?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I have to go into a meeting, but will offer a few observations of Les Paul geekery:

- Les Paul guitars owned by Les Paul don't have an established big-buck value on the collector's market. He tends to get one-off experimental models with tons of extra doohickeys on them, he tends to favor low-impedance pickups vs. the PAF humbuckers that are part of the LP Legend - and he never really had one single guitar that he was associated with - he's gone through hundreds.

- When Les Paul was experimenting with solid bodies in the early 40's working on Sundays in the Epiphone plant (he'd worked out a deal to go in after hours with Epi himself) he built "the Log" a 4x4 block of wood with jazz guitar "wings" bolted on to either side for show. Now if that ever went up for sale - Les still has it or it may be at the RRHoF - it might fetch a pretty penny from a super-collector. He has other well-known experimental guitars - Les Pauls he equipped with on-board tape echo (another thing he invented) but none as well known as The Log.

- The known prototype from 1955 of the Goldtop Les Paul with humbucking pickups (finally intro'd on the 1957 model of the LP) is in the hands of respected Gibson and guitar collector and researcher Gil Hembree - it is on the cover of his book about the McCarty years at Gibson (40's through 60's - Ted McCarty was their president during this Golden era). It would be worth big bucks if it were sold...

I could geek out more but I have that meeting I am already late for...

Oh - and yeah, guitar geeks really giggled at the thought of "double signature" Les Pauls when the Jimmy Page/Les Paul first came out - but there are SO many now that it is just accepted...
Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM

The above mentioned book by Rick Nielsen is Guitars of The Stars, Vol 1. It shows his 1958 Gibson Explorers (including one with a split headstock), along with his 1958/59 Flying V's. There's also a pic of the 1980 re-issue of the Gibson Moderne, which along with the Explorer and Flying V made up the futuristic "Heritage Series" line designed by then Gibson president, Ted McCarty.

Although the Moderne was supposedly never put into production until the early 80's, I've always wondered what would happen if an authentic 1958 prototype showed up on the market today.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmonly View Post
Although the Moderne was supposedly never put into production until the early 80's, I've always wondered what would happen if an authentic 1958 prototype showed up on the market today.
Hmm - in my meeting but stuck on a conference call so can use my BBerry!

A true 50's Moderne would go for big $ but only as a rare curiosity - they are butt-ugly and since they weren't produced, no famous artists used the as with V's and Explorers. So yeah big collector bucks but no idol-worship buks which is typically what puts a guitar in the stratosphere.

Nielsen's Explorer was super early - the split-V headstock was a holdover from the original patented deisign - this is sometimes referred to as The Futura since it is a bit different form the final Explorer design - but the first few Ex's had Futura headstocks...
Old 09-30-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
When Les Paul was experimenting with solid bodies in the early 40's working on Sundays in the Epiphone plant (he'd worked out a deal to go in after hours with Epi himself) he built "the Log" a 4x4 block of wood with jazz guitar "wings" bolted on to either side for show.
You know, I'd never seen a picture of "the Log", but Google is my friend. Here it is if anyone here is curious.

Wow, what a...interesting piece of ...luthiery. I'd think the side 'wings' would rattle a bit. And that hacked up bridge and whammy deal is pretty wild as well. But this predated pretty much every solid body guitar (or maybe not, according to Gibson, but whatever), which is pretty cool.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:56 AM

Jerry Garcia's custom Irwin guitars seem to fetch a nice price when they make it to auction.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
You know, I'd never seen a picture of "the Log", but Google is my friend. Here it is if anyone here is curious.

Wow, what a...interesting piece of ...luthiery. I'd think the side 'wings' would rattle a bit. And that hacked up bridge and whammy deal is pretty wild as well. But this predated pretty much every solid body guitar (or maybe not, according to Gibson, but whatever), which is pretty cool.
Yeah - he's quite the tinkerer . You should see the documentary Les Paul: Chasing Sound that was done on PBS' American Masters series. You get to see The Octopus, his original overdub multi-tracking recorder...

He's not mentioned rattling in the interviews I've read - he plays clean jazz so it's not like Nugent harnessing the feedback of a hollow-bodied Byrdland or anything. Les did gig with the Log - there are photos of him with a full band.

As for the first solid bodies, there are a lot of thoughts on that. Certainly Les Paul pioneered, but

oops - gotta run into a meeting...
Old 10-01-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluricaun View Post
Jerry Garcia's custom Irwin guitars seem to fetch a nice price when they make it to auction.
Wow -- are there four pickups on that yellow guitar, or just an over elaborate bridge and tailpiece? (click on the thumbnails to see the two guitars.)

ETA: after googling, it looks like 3 pickups and a weird bridge/tailpiece.

Last edited by squeegee; 10-01-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:46 PM

Looks like two humbuckers and one single coil. All of the Dead play(ed) really complicated custom instruments. Check out Phil Lesh's insane Alembic mutant bass.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:02 PM

According to my memory of my Strat handbook, which is, of course, not here so I can _check it_, the strat Jimi burned... was restrung and is still playable.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Sabbath View Post
According to my memory of my Strat handbook, which is, of course, not here so I can _check it_, the strat Jimi burned... was restrung and is still playable.
Dweezil Zappa has supposedly owned one of a couple of know Hendrix-burnt Strats, and it has been stated that it was the Monterey Pop Strat, but I believe it has since been proven to not be that one. Not sure if it is still has a link to Hendrix...
Old 01-31-2010, 02:07 PM

I'm not the authority on these things, but Eric Clapton's two famous guitars, Brownie (used with Derek and the Dominos) and Blackie (assembled out of three vintage Strats; used mid-'70s through mid-'80s), come to mind. Both broke records when they were sold. I'm not sure what condition they're in, but there monetary value exceeds there use as an instrument at this point in time.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MwNNrules View Post
I'm not the authority on these things, but Eric Clapton's two famous guitars, Brownie (used with Derek and the Dominos) and Blackie (assembled out of three vintage Strats; used mid-'70s through mid-'80s), come to mind. Both broke records when they were sold. I'm not sure what condition they're in, but there monetary value exceeds there use as an instrument at this point in time.
IIRC Brownie fetched close to $500,000 and Blackie ~$1,000,000 when auctioned a few years ago. Condition irrelevant although both had logged serious hours. But they have already been surpassed by at least the Garcia guitar Tiger and I think a Hendrix guitar. The point to this thread was what would fetch the most - Clapton's Beano burst is FAR more desirable in guitar circles vs. Blackie.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Pete Townshend's 1952 Telecaster in action

Rumor has it that Pete just bought himself an '67 Danelectro Coral Hornet
Old 01-31-2010, 04:58 PM

Back in the late 80s or early 90s, I read a story in the Wall Street Journal about a bass that was about to be auctioned on behalf of the widow or the estate of Mal Evans, the Beatles' roadie and all-round assistant. It was a Hofner bass that was given by Paul to Mal at the end of the final tour in 1966. When the auction appraiser took the guitar out of the case, it had a set list taped to the back. It was the set list for the final concert at Candlestick Park, and it was in Paul's hand-writing. I don't remember what that sold for, but I have to think it would be worth about as much as any guitar could be worth at this point.

This is all based on memory; I can't find anything online specifically about this guitar.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:20 PM

Another guitar, or maybe guitars, that I find intriguing are the prototype Stratocasters that were made for one or more southern California country players by Leo, George and Freddie as they worked on improvements to the design of the Telecaster. My understanding of this is that they incorporated a few of the complaints or suggestions they had heard about the Tele and built them into prototypes. They then gave these prototypes to a couple of professional players who made further suggestions. I don't know if those guitars exist anymore, but they would be fascinating to look at and would probably be worth 6 figures at least.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Dweezil Zappa has supposedly owned one of a couple of know Hendrix-burnt Strats, and it has been stated that it was the Monterey Pop Strat, but I believe it has since been proven to not be that one. Not sure if it is still has a link to Hendrix...
That is probably what the book referred to. (And Blackie is in horrible shape. The back of the Stratocaster Handbook is guitar porn, plain and simple. Beck, Clapton, Page's strats...) If it _was_ that one, how much do you think it would be worth?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
The controversy discussed on Zappa.com. It would seem there's better evidence that it was a Hendrix Strat from Miami, not Monterey...
Old 01-31-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
IIRC Brownie fetched close to $500,000 and Blackie ~$1,000,000 when auctioned a few years ago. Condition irrelevant although both had logged serious hours. But they have already been surpassed by at least the Garcia guitar Tiger and I think a Hendrix guitar. The point to this thread was what would fetch the most - Clapton's Beano burst is FAR more desirable in guitar circles vs. Blackie.
Okay.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Rick Nielsen is an avid collector; there was a book published featuring his collection. Back in the day, he was one of the first pawn shop scouters, finding 50's Les Pauls for less than $100.
I don't have anything to add to the serious discussion, since I know jack about guitars, but Rick Nielsen is part owner of a brew-pub/pizza place in Chicago called Piece, where there's a few of his guitars hanging on the wall. He has joked in the past that he only bought into the place so he'd have someplace to keep some guitars.

Once a year they do a charity deal where you can have Nielsen deliver your pizza from there. Seems like a pretty cool guy.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:16 AM

Let's talk about an acoustic guitar

Clarence White from the Byrds and The Kentucky Colonels was one of the first post-Doc Watson flat-picking players.
He had a Martin D-28 that was modified with an extra-large soundhole and different bracing under the top. His father bought it to be shared by him and his brother Roland. Clarence shot at with a BB gun when they were kids!
The guitar now belongs to and is played by Tony Rice. I heard it played at a workshop a few years ago. No PA, just the guitar in a room. Amazing sound.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoDavid View Post
Clarence White from the Byrds and The Kentucky Colonels was one of the first post-Doc Watson flat-picking players.
He had a Martin D-28 that was modified with an extra-large soundhole and different bracing under the top. His father bought it to be shared by him and his brother Roland. Clarence shot at with a BB gun when they were kids!
The guitar now belongs to and is played by Tony Rice. I heard it played at a workshop a few years ago. No PA, just the guitar in a room. Amazing sound.
Yup - good call. On the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum in the Vintage section, there is a long thread where a top repair guy/luthier has been contracted to rebuild/restore the 1935 D-28 that was very next in line serial-number-wise to the White/Rice guitar - the vintage Martin geeks are out in force, dying to hear what kinda tone it can produce...

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...om/topic/93919

(a guitar geek?! who me?! )

Last edited by WordMan; 02-02-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:26 AM

Would you believe someone's tracking Kurt Cobain's guitars?
http://kurtsguitarsnow.blogspot.com/
Hm. Elvis wasn't famous for playing the guitar, Chuck Berry's won't match Jimi... We've covered the Log, Monterey, Blackie, Brownie... what if we cast a wider net?

What _acoustic_ guitars might be worth a bit?
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...itars-bob-407/
Dylan's Gibson?
Heck, Dylan's Fender.
http://www.nytstore.com/ProdDetail.aspx?prodId=17649
Old 02-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Sabbath View Post
Would you believe someone's tracking Kurt Cobain's guitars?
http://kurtsguitarsnow.blogspot.com/
Hm. Elvis wasn't famous for playing the guitar, Chuck Berry's won't match Jimi... We've covered the Log, Monterey, Blackie, Brownie... what if we cast a wider net?

What _acoustic_ guitars might be worth a bit?
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...itars-bob-407/
Dylan's Gibson?
Heck, Dylan's Fender.
http://www.nytstore.com/ProdDetail.aspx?prodId=17649
The Nick Lucas model is now one of the most highly-desired vintage Gibson acoustics - in Dylan's day they could be bought cheap, but now $30,000+ is more like it...

...as for his Strat from the Newport Folk Festival - I don't know where it is, but it would be more collectible to a Dylan head - he is not seen as a guitar hero the way the other players we've named. That's not to say it wouldn't be hugely valued - only that it would be so based on different criteria...
Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

There's a beautifully-photographed book of John Entwistle's collection called Bass Culture .

Sadly, everything was sold off after his death. Link to the Sotheby's catalog . His "Frankenstein" bass sold for £62,400.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
There's a beautifully-photographed book of John Entwistle's collection called Bass Culture .

Sadly, everything was sold off after his death. Link to the Sotheby's catalog . His "Frankenstein" bass sold for £62,400.
Well, as Pete always said - no one lived the rock n' roll lifestyle like the Ox; both he and Roger have stated that they did some of their tours to keep John in the lifestyle to which he had grown accustomed and that he was perpetually in debt...

...but he sure enjoyed that collection while it was his!