Homer Simpson's colonoscopy

A clever bit from last night’s multi-network Stand Up To Cancer special. Remember, early detection can prevent cancer. Also, don’t be Homer. Seriously. Don’t.

I hate when they’re inconsistent. He should have said, “You’re going to get your boobs embiggened again?”

“That bar bet paid for the camera removal!” snerk

Not bad. Better than most of the current Simpsons stuff. Maybe they should go back to making shorts instead of full length episodes.

Reasonably funny and I liked “embiggened” showing up again. But Homer’s 40 and I think colonoscopies are recommended for guys at age 50. Either way I guess I’ll think of this episode if I live to 50 and can bear the idea of having one of these.

I am 32 and I had my second colonoscopy on Tuesday. I had my first 5 years ago. The worst part is the fasting, I don’t know if Homer could have done it. I went about 41 hours without eating Sunday night to Tuesday afternoon.

A screening colonoscopy (that is, a colonoscopy in an asymptomatic patient) is recommended for all patients over 50, and all patients who have a first-degree relative with colon cancer ten years before that relative was diagnosed.

Homer’s age has been stated as anywhere from 36-40, and while that is wildly inconsistent it appears to be what they’re sticking to. In that case, unless he has a first-degree relative with CCa, it is not indicated for him.

Clinical indications are there for a reason. A colonoscopy is a procedure with risks, and before a certain age the chance of finding something you can fix compares unfavorably to the risk of a serious complication.

Not to mention, insurance companies usually won’t pay for non-indicated procedures.