Pointless, I guess, except for those pointy scalpels and chisels they used on my spin

So, after nearly a year of pretty bad pain in the lumbar region, the glutes and both legs, caused not only by a herniated disk of long standing, but severe stenosis, arthritis and nasty little bone spurs scratching my nerve roots, the medicos gave up trying an interesting variety of treatments and medications. All those interesting opiates not only failed to do much to alleviate the pain, but they never even gave me the famous high i was supposed to get. Bummer.

Finally went to a bone cutter (actually, two, one for a second opinion) who thought he could help. Well, the L4/L5 disk was too far shot to do much, but the laminectomy was supposed to get rid of the damn pain in the butt and legs, which was so bad could not sit to read or watch TV for more than about 15 minutes. Interesting little procedure: cut open the back, puill away the muscles, hack away the bones on the side and back of the spine to relieve the pressure on the spinal column, and to chisel away where the bone spurs were pressing on the nerves emanating from the spinal column. Oh yeah, and then closing up, I hope.

Sounded simple enough to me, so I said, “What the hell, go ahead,” even though they warned me it would be a 6-8 week recovery period. Well, when I came out of the general anesthesia, i found that the acute, sharp, agonizing pain had gone and was replaced by acute, dull, agonizing pain, but that seemed like some progress.

The good news is that they said i could get up the next day and start walking, and am supposed to walk daily, building up distance. As some of you may recall from previous posts, I’m a fanatic exercise nut, having run ten marathons, hundreds of other races, climbed dozens of mountains including four 14ers, the latter in my 70s. As I’m now 81, i’ve been highly pissed off at not being able to do any of this stupid stuff, (and having to listen to my wife keep saying “I told you you’d wreck your body if you kept doing this crazy stuff”). My only rejoinder is that I’d have been much worse had I not done all this rigorous exercise, but who is to know?

So, it’s been two weeks now since they sliced and diced my spine, and other than the incision area hurting like hell, the butt and legs are far better, so am hopeful that things will continue to improve. They have to, as i’ve scheduled the climb of Mt Everest for the summer of 2009, and that does not give me a lot of time to train.

Seriously, it is remarkable what the surgeons can do these days, and a tip o’ me hat to them all, and especially to my skilled doc.

::end of whine::

Glad to hear of your butt.

No, really - I’ve got a bulging disc that’s responding to NOTHING. The therapy, the drugs (though I do get the high, I’m on a virtual pharmacopoeia for other issues, that I try to limit their use) - nada. Doc says in time, if it gets worse I’m under a knife as well.

Of course, having read this, he’ll have to chase me down and tranquilize me like a hippo to get me on the table.

Glad to hear you are doing better! Here’s a wish of continued improvement and long-term painlessness.

Sounds like good progress so far - congrats, and please keep us updated!

I hope your Spin is doing well :stuck_out_tongue:

All the the power to you, mon ami.

You are the coolest guy ever!

May your recovery time be short and your strides long.

Oh, gee, Bus Guy, sorry to have added to what must have been your present state of anxiety! Really, don’t worry, it is a lot of fun, and you get all sorts of attention and sympathy from a bevy of lovely nurses. And you get to tell the horror stories at cocktail parties and watch peoples’ faces go white. So, see, it ain’t all bad.

Having run the gamut, my strongest advice is to get a second and even a third opinion from surgeons. The damn discs are open to a variety of treatments, and in many cases with excellent results. in the last decade or so, there has been a vast improvement in the procedures, and I’d not rule out anything without talking to more than one doc, and then spending a lot of research online. This may end up confusing you, but you will learn a lot too in helping you make a decision.

IMHO the best bet is a WBST (Whole Body Spinal Transplant) if you can find a good practitioner, but they are scarce. Seriously, from what I have read, the thing to avoid like the plague, unless as a last resort, is a fusion.

It’s your body, so don’t be reluctant about getting opinions from as many experts as you want. If and when you have to get somethng done, let me now and we can trade war stories.

BTW, the things that did not help at all were, besides all the happy medications, was epidural/steroid injections (I had four), acupuncture, and voo doo (not really).

Good luck and best wishes for a sudden and permanent loss of pain.

Wishing you an even speedier recovery.

The oldest person ever to climb Everest was 70. You’ll beat that by a long shot!

GO GEOFF!!