What is the freezing point of saturated salt water?

And why is it that the ice in Antarctica is fresh water, when it is surrounded by sea water?

This is a troll, right?

The freezing point of salt water is 0 degrees fahrenheit. That’s how Mr. Fahrenheit defined it, salted icewater was the lowest temperature he could achieve with the technology of his day.

The ice in Antarctica is fresh-water ice because it comes from falling snow, not from frozen seawater.

Sorry, I meant to ask in Degrees Celcius. Anyone know how to convert it? Ta.

Um, the freezing point of water mixed with any soluble compound will be below 0 degrees celsius. So Mr. F probably did use saturated salt water. To convert 0 F to Celsius, just subtract 32, multiply by 5, and divide by 9.

The reason the floating ice is fresh rather than salt is not because of snow (though snow is indeed fresh). Falling snow will probably melt when it hits the water. Pier pressure.

The floating ice is fresh water because when water freezes it likes to form a nice little crystal structure. In the process it forces out adulterates, such as salt.

Oh, you wanted Celcius. Sure, someone will be here shortly to convert it for you. Your wish is our command.

Now that sounds more like it.

If I remember chemistry properly, the freezing point of salted water (or water with various contaminants, as witnessed by various stuff we put on icy roads), is just a few degrees lower than pure water. I believe down as far as -10 degrees or so. Just enough that ice melts around freezing point.

What I’d like to know is, assuming I’m correct above, what do they do about roads when temperatures are routinely 20 below and colder?