A condom question for the gents...

A thought just popped into my head: Condoms come in different sizes, so how do y’all know what size to buy? Are there sampler packs with different sizes, like tampons? If so, do you <snicker> try them on for size at home? (“This one’s too big, that one’s too small, and this one’s juuuuuuuuuuust right?”)

I asked my guy buds last night. Bad idea. So I was wondering if you guys could fight some ignorance.

And no, this is not for personal use. I was curious.

My understanding is that condoms basically come in two sizes. You have your basic run of the mill Trojans and such for normal people. Then you have your Magnums and other assorted brands for the freaks of nature like Long Dong Silver.

Most of my guy friends get by with the standards. Only one friend of mine claimed that normal size condoms were uncomfortable for him. Needless to say, he is one of the aforementioned freaks of nature. (Upon seeing him in the shower, one of my fraternity brothers bugged out and went, “Oh, my God. What the hell is THAT THING?!?!?”)

I just buy the smallest ones they have… and if it’s a little snug, well then I get to feel a little bit better about myself until I look down again.

Actually from all the condoms I’ve used, I’ve never noticed much of a size difference. Bathroom condoms, which I refuse to use now, are a little smaller. And as far as everything else goes;

There are two size trojans, big, and way too big.

Lifestyles are all the same, and fit me better than any of the others.

I just found a brand that I like through experimenting with different ones, and I just stick with that now. I guess I’m not really answering your question very well, but hell, I get to talk about condoms.
And just to up the crassness level, Anyone care to find out what brand I use?

I usually just try them on in the store & see what fits.
Actually, a regular size condom can fit the head, the head on top of your body. I saw them do that once on tv to prove they fit anyone. Pulled it right over & down the guys face.

And those are what now?

OK, I’ll admit it. The only two sizes of condom I’ve ever known (and, no, not counting the “Magnum” sizes) are too big and too small.

Can’t we get some sort of “sizing” thing as per bra sizes? I mean, this “one size fits all” malarkey just won’t cut it. Especially when, as has happened to me, you get two slightly different sizes in the same box.

That’s all I’m gonna say, I’ve said enough now…<slinking into the background>

Durex has a ‘comfort fit’ size, which I’ve found to be much better. Normal sizes tend to, um, cut off my circulation. I’m by no means the above-mentioned freak of nature, but I am rather ‘bulbous’.

As to the OP, we find out what size is best the same way as anything else in life. Trial and error. I’d say a better question is how many guys did the trial phase in a solo test run or not ;). Back in my early days I practiced masturbating with a condom on a few times, just to test if it’d be an extra thing to stress about that first time. It didn’t go well, and the problem was solved by using a different condom. Unfortunately, I didn’t figure out that a different condom was the answer until many dual escapades later.

One thing that everyone is best served knowing is that different brands fit much differently, and if you really hate using condoms, try switching brands. Typically if you can’t feel anything, the condom isn’t fitting right. I’ve used about 6 different brands and these days I am loyal to the one and only that keeps me smiling. Sadly the free brand they gave out in college was about the worst fitting, so I was frequently frustrated. The damn things are expensive to buy at Walgreens.

Basically if you do it enough, you’ll find a brand (not necessarily a size) that fits you best. A good analogy is buying jeans. Everyone has a favorite brand which just seems to fit them best, its all in the cut. Sure those Gap jeans might be to damn tight, but maybe the solution isn’t a bigger size, but just a switch to a pair of Levi’s 550s in the same size. And I think for most of us trying on jeans in the fitting room isn’t the best way to judge what will feel good in everyday use, same with jimmies. What seems to fit right in front of the computer screen won’t necessarily fit right once you get it into “use”.

Yeah, I guess you don’t have that candy machine in your bathroom, do you?
“Bathroom condoms” are the crummy ones you can buy from the machines in gas station/restuarant/hotel/office/bar/golf club restrooms. They invariably suck, break, or leave rashes. It’s wher a guy wuill usually buy his first “french tickler” condom. Usually his last, too.

Here is a transcript of that conversation:

Persephone: Hey honey, got a question for you.
Mr. Persephone: Yes?
P: There’s a thread on the board about condom sizes…
MP: Condoms come in different sizes?
P: Yes, they do.
MP: Oh. I didn’t know that. It’s been a long time since I’ve bought condoms.
P: Well, she wants to know how you guys know if they fit or not.
MP: I don’t know! The last time I bought them, they only had one size.
P: Did it fit?
MP: Well, it was a little tight…
P: BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

thinksnow: that’s what I thought, but I wasn’t sure. And yes, there’s machines in the women’s restroom in the student union, and one in the dorm laundry room.

Persephone: thanks. there’s now spanish rice all over my monitor. :smiley:

::still chuckling::

OH MY GOD… I have my MP3s on “shuffle” and “The Bad Touch” by the Bloodhound Gang just came on… that’s just wrong. :smiley:

tiggeril: Not a problem! I just got done wiping up the coffee that shot out of my nose, too. :smiley:

Sounds like it’s low-modulus rubber, which stretches a bit more easily.

I’ve never understood why more condom manufacturers don’t use low-modulus latex, r/t the rather high-modulus latex that you find in most condoms. I believe that both can be made to the same strength and quality (i.e. they won’t break while being used). My major experience with different latex moduli comes from rubber gloves (no jokes–I am a biology laboratory technician. You work with dangerous chemicals and bacteria every day without wearing gloves). I use low-modulus gloves which stretch very well and are in fact marketed as “unisize.” They’re not, quite, especialy for those with exceptionally large hands, but I have a feeling that, with the exception of the aforementioned freaks of nature, penises do not vary as much in thickness as hands vary in length.

Condoms, OTOH, seem not to stretch as easily (though they stretch just as far–I’ve seen the demonstration where the condom is put over a man’s head down to his nose; he breathes in through his mouth and out through his nose and soon has a rather large balloon on his head. :slight_smile: I imagine that low-modulus latex would (1) feel a lot better and (2) make that balloon-head demonstration a lot easier on the lungs.

LL ← who probably shouldn’t admit he knows this much about rubber.

Try Target. PVC is also extremely spendy. I can get a 24 pack of Durex at Target for $13. Thems cheap rubbers.

That’s me, but it hasn’t been THAT long since I bought condoms. Mine don’t expire until the end of the month. I had no idea they came in different sizes. I guess I’ve gotten lucky. That, or I’m hung like a gnat and suffering from the biggest case of denial I’ve ever seen.

Just realized my sig is kinda topical. :smiley:

Man I hate condoms!

For men, sex is all about friction, not lubrication.
With a condom, the friction is on the outside of it. The penis skin gets almost no direct feeling, just pressure.

Speaking as your dropdad: :eek:
Speaking as a guy who finds Indian women fascinating: :smiley:
Speaking as a married man old enough to actually BE your father: :frowning:

I have to get this comment out of the way: Persephone, you are evil.

I concur with Omniscent. Finding the right condom is a process of trial and error. Different brands vary slightly in size and elasticity. Consider the following method of ascertaining the “right” size for you.

[ul]
[li]Man goes to store and stares in dismay at the plethora of options.[/li][li]After staring at said options for several minutes and realizing that careful consideration is futile, man selects a pack at random (note: man selects a pack of twelve being optimistic).[/li][li]Man brings pack of condoms to cashier and keenly observes cashier’s response to determine signs of approval or dismay.[/li][li]Unable to detect a hint of a reaction in either direction, man leaves store with condoms and promptly inserts condom in wallet (again, note the optimism).[/li][li]Man places remaining condoms in drawer of nightstand or something of that ilk.[/li][li]Three months later, man replaces damaged condom in wallet with one of the remaining condoms from drawer.[/li][li]Three months later, man returns to store to buy another pack of condoms due to expiration date.[/li][li]Man repeats all steps of procedure except the one immediately previous to this step.[/li][li]The goal of man’s optimism finally comes to fruition.[/li][li]Man attempts to place condom on penis.[/li][li]Man turns over condom so it may unroll and attempts to place condom on penis again.[/li][li]After several minutes of effort, man is successful in placing condom on penis.[/li][li]Due to elapsed time, the other party is no longer “in the mood,” and due to the intense focus necessary to place the condom on the penis, man finds penis to be flaccid.[/li][li]Both parties resume foreplay to achieve goal.[/li][li]Having achieved the goal, man searches through wallet only to realize he doesn’t have another condom.[/li][li]Luckily, the other party has a condom.[/li][li]Man successfully places condom over penis on first attempt.[/li][li]Man finds either A) condom cuts off circulation and cannot perform, B) condom is too large and partner refuses continue in light of potential negative ramifications, C) condom is acceptable.[/li][li]If A is true, outraged man immediately goes home to drawer to discern acceptability of the brand he purchased.[/li][li]If B is true, man overwhelmed with inadequacy goes home to drawer to discern acceptability of the brand he purchased.[/li][li]If C is true, man carefully notes brand of condoms never buys another brand; moreover if particular line of condom is discontinued, man becomes hopelessly lost and refers to line one of procedure.[/li][li]For cases A and B, if brand is found to be acceptable man A) has ego gratified and refuses to sleep with the partner which had underestimated him, or B) finds sense of inadequacy lessened but refuses to sleep with partner due to embarassment. In either case, if particular line of condom is discontinued, man becomes hopelessly lost and refers to line one of procedure.[/li][li]For cases A and B, if brand is found to be unacceptable man returns to line one of procedure; however, man only purchases a pack of three due to frequency of sexual interaction and possible problems of fit.[/li][/ul]

I hope you find the above procedure helpful. Note that one either finds oneself in an infinite loop or find a single type of condom within a brand which is inevitably discontinued and thereby finds oneself in an infinite loop.