Finding the correct replacement optical drive

My optical drive is dead. I ordered a replacement from a large online seller, and it arrived promptly. However, it was completely useless to me, as it had some new kind of connections, and has since been returned.

My computer is a 2006 eMachines, and has the same kind of power supply plug and ribbon data cable plug that have been in use for years (I’ve replaced HDs and optical drives before). I need a new drive fast, but I’m not getting answers from sellers, telling me which drives will work with my machine.

I suppose I could ask questions from a site where they do respond, and quickly, but I’d feel like a cheat, getting the answers from them, and then buying elsewhere at a cheaper price.

I want a DVD/CD drive that will write as well as read, and at least read (preferably write as well) dual layers - I hope not to replace this PC for at least a couple more years. There are lots and lots of drives advertised on the big online merchandise sites, and quite an assortment at under $40 (my preferred price range; limited income).

I’m not asking anyone find a drive for me (but if you want to make suggestions, I’ll be glad to see them). But mainly, what I need to know is the correct terminology I need to see in the specs in order to be sure the next one I buy will work in my computer. TIA

It’s probably an IDE drive. The new connections are SATA drives.

If your old drive uses that large, flat ribbon cable, you need an ATA (or PATA) (NOT SATA) drive. There are any number of drives that will meet your requirements.

You probably could have used that drive by using an adapter;
http://www.satacables.com/html/sata_to_ide_adapter.html

You’re just exactly right. Now, how do I tell which drives take that? I’ve tried reading tech specs very carefully, and somehow they just don’t seem to give enough information.

Things are awfully tight inside the case. I think it would just be far easier to buy a drive that’s designed for my PC. If I could still do my own repairs … but the arthritis in my hands is too much for me to use a screwdriver, or to manage seating plugs into places.

I did check your link, and searched, and found prices. I’m on Social Security. The money is very tight. Squeezing out the ~$40 necessary to buy the drive itself is painful. Adding on another $20 for the adapter? That would have to be more out of the food budget.

What’s worst - I have serious doubts whether it would fit in the case. It’s really tight in there. eMachines - as you probably know - doesn’t allow much in the way of wasted space.

Really? It tends to be right out in front with internal drives. Hell, most computer components will tell you the connection, precisely because you don’t want to order something you can’t use.

Here’s NewEgg’s line of IDE CD/DVD drives, for example. IDE is listed right in the product name.

My hero! :wink:

Thanks ever so much. Searching optical drive results for IDE shows me drives I can feel safe ordering. Granted, the selection is much smaller, but I was even able to find a brand I feel comfortable with. It was not fun negotiating the return with the seller of that first one. Matters were complicated because they had shipped it in a padded bag, and it got dented en route. At first they just wanted to send me another one. :sigh: It took requesting a call back or supervisor to get things straight.