The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 09-28-2008, 06:04 PM

A Question about Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce

This is a two-fold question and poll. Mods, please feel free to move this thread as necessary.

When making something like Top Ramen noodles, I often put a splash of Lea & Perrins on it so liven up the taste. I've noticed, just by opening the bottle of L&P, and getting a whiff of the contents, my mouth starts to water, immediately.

So, my questions are:

1) Has anyone else experienced that, also?

2) Does anyone know the biochemical process that causes one's mouth to water by simply sniffing Lea & Perrins?
Advertisements  
Old 09-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Do you also begin to salivate whenever you hear a bell?

Old 09-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

It's a natural reaction to any food that contains anchovies. Yum!
Old 09-28-2008, 07:17 PM

Two words. Umami.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

On a related note (well, related in that it also asks about this sauce), does worchestshire "expire"? The bottle in my fridge doesn't have a date stamped on it, and I'm fairly sure it postdates the last time my power went out (though not 100% - more like 90%).
Old 09-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

You refrigerate it? Why bother? The stuff is aged to death before it's even bottled. It's not going to go bad on the pantry shelf.

At least not as fast as I use the stuff.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The bottle of L&P I have is not refrigerated. It is Kosher, parve, and labeled, "Best used by 11/20/07".
Old 09-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Yes, the smell makes my mouth water, and I've kept bottle for years in the pantry to no ill effect or loss of potency.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenblue View Post
no ill effect or loss of potency.
It effects your, ah, virility if not refrigerated?
Old 09-28-2008, 10:19 PM

I just sniffed it - yes!

Pronounciations please

I say Wustersher

Last edited by Bam Boo Gut; 09-28-2008 at 10:20 PM..
Old 09-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Moving thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Woos ter shire

There is a place name in New Hampshire that Mrs. Plant pronounces...strangely.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

IIRC there's a line in a P.G. Wodehouse novel that Bertie Wooster pronounces his name the same as Worchestershire Sauce.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

My mouth was watering reading the thread...

I just now got up and sniffed my bottle of L&P. (Who *doesn't* have a bottle of this stuff? Or Tabasco?)

Instant mouthy wetness.

Hmmm...but is it only L&P which causes this? To the immediate right of the L&P was a bottle of Liquid Smoke. I opened, I sniffed, I salivated.

To the left of L&P was a bottle of balsamic vinegar. *sniff* *sniff* followed by waterworks.

I don't think it's specific to L&P...I think it's any pungent food. Or any delicious food, no matter the pungentness. When I smell chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven, I have to change my t-shirt. Sometimes I have to change my shorts.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runs With Scissors View Post
I don't think it's specific to L&P...I think it's any pungent food. Or any delicious food, no matter the pungentness. When I smell chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven, I have to change my t-shirt. Sometimes I have to change my shorts.
I was going to mention the Liquid Smoke too. One of my daughters thinks it would make a great cologne .

Also agree about not just worcestershire (pronounced worster-shur) causing the salivating. I start to drool if I so much as look at a jar of dill pickles. It's happening now, and I'm only thinking about looking at them
Old 09-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Is the instant-watering related to the cheek-pain from certain candies?

Bonus question: why do I have Groucho in my head now: Mr. Worchestershire sir.... any help?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:15 AM

Okay.. so far we can blame it on anchovies or Umami (what in the world is Umami?) or is it just pungent foods in general? So, pungent smells set our salivary glands into overdrive? Anyone know any reason why? Has this been traced down?

My bottle says "Best used by 03/28/2009" The stuff on the back says it's aged for 18 months in wooden casks. I think nothing would go bad after being aged that long. It's probably a marketing gimick. Like the similar stamps on bottles of water that say the same thing. Has anyone ever run into spoilt Worchestershire sauce?

I've always pronounced it "Wuss-TAH-shear" sauce.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Boo Gut View Post
I just sniffed it - yes!

Pronounciations please

I say Wustersher
"Woostershuh" is the correct pronounciation, I believe.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
You refrigerate it? Why bother? The stuff is aged to death before it's even bottled. It's not going to go bad on the pantry shelf.

Habit. I have no idea how the stuff is made, so I didn't think about chucking it in the fridge.

I'll check my bottle again, but considering what kittenblue said, it should still be usable.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Charter Member

I believe the chemicals responsible for this effect may be amines - the same stuff that makes mature cheese hurt your jaw.

I don't know anyone here in England that pronounces the 'shire' in the name - It's Worcester (pronounced 'wooster', but it's a short 'oo', as in 'book') Sauce, regardless of the spelling on the label.

Last edited by Mangetout; 09-29-2008 at 02:42 AM..
Old 09-29-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
IIRC there's a line in a P.G. Wodehouse novel that Bertie Wooster pronounces his name the same as Worchestershire Sauce.
As Mangetout says above, it's Worcestershire that's pronounced 'wooster' (when referring to the sauce only) rather than Wooster that's pronounced 'wooster-shear'.

I imagine Wodehouse is being witty about strange pronunciations of some upper class surnames by deliberately choosing an example of what Bertie's surname sounds like that is often pronounced wrongly itself.

OB
Old 09-29-2008, 06:14 AM

Don't refrigerate it. Back home I used to buy it in giant bottles. It keeps damned near indefinitely (and a lot of my food swims in it) and seems only to improve. Only L&P make a good sauce. There are other people trying and, frankly, they fail.

"Wooster" - with the same 'oo' sound as book or hook.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:24 AM

My grandparents considered Worchestershire to be a health aid and each consumed a tablespoon daily. If I'm not mistaken, this belief was somewhat common among their generation. While grandmom lived to 94 and grandad to 100, I found a full case of Worchestershire in their pantry, so they obviously had planned on it being even more effective still.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyr View Post
Okay.. so far we can blame it on anchovies or Umami (what in the world is Umami?)
Umami.

It is a fairly recently recognized addition to the taste centers on the tongue. Sweet, Salty, Bitter and Sour.

I had never heard of it until working on an exhibit built around the nano-particles that actually deliver the tastes to mouth/nose. There I was happily building my exhibit with little vents to deliver the scents when I saw the text for the sign ( I refuse to use the word signage.) with "Umami."

Of course in the shop it immediately became "Yomama."
Old 09-29-2008, 09:42 AM

Pronounce it however you like so long as you spell it right: Worcestershire. Like the county.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
I don't know anyone here in England that pronounces the 'shire' in the name.
I do. Pronounced like wuss-ter-sher or however you'd transcribe the pronunciation Wikipedia has. How the bloke there says it is how I do, with 'sauce' on the end obviously.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:26 AM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Just remember, that stuff is not to be used as an embalming fluid.

This thread reminds me, I'm out. And I keep forgetting to buy more every time I go to the store.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

From the Lea & Perrins Web site:
Quote:
Worcestershire can be properly pronounced a few ways: "wust-ter-shire, "woos-ter-sheer", or "woos-ter-sher" sauce. But the easiest way to say Worcestershire Sauce is Lea & Perrins®!
and perhaps more importantly, from their FAQ:
Quote:
Q. Can I use Lea & Perrins® products / sauces out of the refrigerator?
A. Lea & Perrins® sauces can be used out of the refrigerator and has a standard shelf life of 24 months. But refrigeration helps to preserve the flavor and the shelf life even longer.
Q. Do you need to refrigerate the product?
A. Lea & Perrins® Worcestershire Sauce doesn’t need to be refrigerated, but refrigeration does help to preserve the flavor and shelf life of the product.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:40 AM

It's a vital addition to any kind of brown, meaty gravy in my kitchen. Before I started using it, my gravy still tasted like my mom's bland midwest-style beef gravy. Add a few generous shots of L&P, and voila - rich, brown, umami meat gravy. Indispensable for a meatballs-in-brown-mushroom sauce kind of recipe.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
It's a vital addition to any kind of brown, meaty gravy in my kitchen. Before I started using it, my gravy still tasted like my mom's bland midwest-style beef gravy. Add a few generous shots of L&P, and voila - rich, brown, umami meat gravy. Indispensable for a meatballs-in-brown-mushroom sauce kind of recipe.
I thought that was what Kitchen Bouquet was for.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:31 AM

There is no need to put it in the fridge.
Any microorganism that could live in it deserves to be rewarded for its tenacity. And probably sent to the NCIMB* for immediate inspection and classification!

*Or the national microorganism collection in whatever country you happen to be in with your bottle of sauce.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdvl View Post
Ah, but that's the US website - the UK L&P website doesn't seem to mention the pronunciation (perhaps because everyone knows it's pronounced 'wooster' ).

Actually, I have a feeling this may be a case of both pronunciations being correct - with the 'shire' variant being more common (and correct) in the US (I've even heard UK chefs pronounce it this way on US TV shows) and the 'wooster' variant more common (and correct) in the UK.

Anyway, I'm vegetarian, so I use Henderson's Relish instead (guess how that's pronounced!). Luckily my in-laws live in Sheffield, as it's hard to come by down south (and probably even harder to come by in the US.

OB

Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 09-30-2008 at 07:58 AM..
Old 09-30-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
Anyway, I'm vegetarian, so I use Henderson's Relish instead (guess how that's pronounced!). Luckily my in-laws live in Sheffield, as it's hard to come by down south (and probably even harder to come by in the US.

OB
Are you Peter Stringfellow?

I'm suspicious of any product that has Mr Stringfellow's endorsement in pride of place on their website.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Henderson's Relish instead (guess how that's pronounced
Raymond Luxury-Yacht?
Fanshaw?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyr
worchestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaper
worchestshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter morris
worchestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdvl
worchestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu
worchestershire
W o r c e s t e r s h i r e.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm View Post
W o r c e s t e r s h i r e.
Hey, I was talking about the Grouch Brothers, they had an alternate spelling.

What?

Wait.

I was merely cutting and pasting from earlier poster -- I suspect that's how that spelling got promulgated throughout the thread. See, language and spelling evolve over time, and what was once considered an error gets repeated over time enough that it enters comm.....

What?

Oh.

So, about that movie...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Has anyone tried soy sauce for umami? A dash seems to liven up wonton soup although that might be the salt

To make this relevant, how does L&P compare to soy sauce in umami-ness if you have tried both?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Has anyone tried soy sauce for umami? A dash seems to liven up wonton soup although that might be the salt

To make this relevant, how does L&P compare to soy sauce in umami-ness if you have tried both?
Both are inferior to nước mắm in that respect.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:57 AM

a couple of weeks ago i was at the grocery store and found a new product----------Worcestershire Ground Black Pepper Blend!!!! it's by mccormick, and is wonderful! to quote the little can of seasoning, "the enticing flavor of worcestershire sauce has been artfully combined with black pepper to create this irresistible seasoning." "shake on steak, burgers, chicken, pork chops or potatoes before and after cooking." i've also tried it on eggs, and it is soo good!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I never knew Henderson's is vegetarian. I went to university in Sheffield, and the Relish works was (and presumably still is) close to the university. On cold winter mornings you could see the steam rising and savour the delicious saucy scent drifting across the A61... ah, memories

BTW add me to the list of people who call it "Worcester sauce" (pronounced as described above). The county is pronounced Wooster-shuh though. Just one of those things.

Oh and another thing - Lea & Perrins is what macaroni cheese was invented for!

Last edited by Colophon; 09-30-2008 at 12:36 PM..
Old 09-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
a couple of weeks ago i was at the grocery store and found a new product----------Worcestershire Ground Black Pepper Blend!!!! it's by mccormick, and is wonderful! to quote the little can of seasoning, "the enticing flavor of worcestershire sauce has been artfully combined with black pepper to create this irresistible seasoning." "shake on steak, burgers, chicken, pork chops or potatoes before and after cooking." i've also tried it on eggs, and it is soo good!
How is it when combined with Bacon Salt?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
Oh and another thing - Lea & Perrins is what macaroni cheese was invented for!
From the Colonies.
I beg to differ, Sir.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
From the Colonies.
I beg to differ, Sir.
I'll see your differ, and raise you an "harumpf!"