The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-02-2008, 11:15 AM
SiXSwordS SiXSwordS is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Resume/ How to Ask Not to Contact Current Employer

I'm looking for a new job. I would prefer that prospective employers not contact my current employer.

Straight up I don't want my current employer to know I'm looking. I would expect personal and work related reprisals. (I've seen this happen to others and it can be vicious.)

What is a good way of saying on an application or resume, this is why I prefer you do not contact my current employer?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 10-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Eva Luna Eva Luna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chicago-ish, IL
Posts: 9,100
I've never had a prospective employer contact a current employer without asking specific permission. Any employer with any degree of common sense knows that most employed applicants are in your position. If they are considering making you an offer and just want to check references, normally they will tell you that and ask if there is anyone specific (a trusted colleague, perhaps) they should contact.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Bearflag70 Bearflag70 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
My resume has a line near the top that says "submitted in confidence"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-02-2008, 11:32 AM
SiXSwordS SiXSwordS is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
<snip>Any employer with any degree of common sense knows that most employed applicants are in your position.
Part of the reason I ask is that I am applying to a large company with many different departments and many different positions I might be eligible for. They have an option to fill out an online "standing" application that I can submit for different jobs as they become available.

They asked specifically, "May we contact your current employer?" and, "If no, please explain."

I'd rather not leave the section blank, but I don't want to make a mistake by saying, "Because they're a bunch of jerks!"

Submitted in confidence sounds really good for a resume, although, maybe I should just leave it out...?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Mr. Moto Mr. Moto is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 12,509
Put "no" and in the explanation put in a contact at the company that can explain your work performance, duties and history there.

Frankly, nobody will bat an eye at this.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:01 PM
SiXSwordS SiXSwordS is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moto View Post
Put "no" and in the explanation put in a contact at the company that can explain your work performance, duties and history there. ..
I'm not trying to be obtuse, and I do appreciate any input, but I should say no and then specify the person I don't want them to talk to...?

What if I were to simply write, I do not wish my employer to know I am seeking other employment?

It sounds a little harsh to my ear, but so does saying no and then specifying who they would contact if I had said yes.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Mr. Moto Mr. Moto is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 12,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiXSwordS View Post
I'm not trying to be obtuse, and I do appreciate any input, but I should say no and then specify the person I don't want them to talk to...?

What if I were to simply write, I do not wish my employer to know I am seeking other employment?

It sounds a little harsh to my ear, but so does saying no and then specifying who they would contact if I had said yes.
It's not the same thing - if you say to have them contact your employer, they're going to talk to HR and your superiors. What you're doing is giving them a way to verify your employment without tipping off your company - by giving them a contact that they can use to do so.

Just approach one of your coworkers - it shouldn't be an issue at all.

This sort of thing goes on all of the time, and there are no ethical problems with any of it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Eva Luna Eva Luna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chicago-ish, IL
Posts: 9,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiXSwordS View Post
Part of the reason I ask is that I am applying to a large company with many different departments and many different positions I might be eligible for. They have an option to fill out an online "standing" application that I can submit for different jobs as they become available.

They asked specifically, "May we contact your current employer?" and, "If no, please explain."

I'd rather not leave the section blank, but I don't want to make a mistake by saying, "Because they're a bunch of jerks!"

Submitted in confidence sounds really good for a resume, although, maybe I should just leave it out...?
How about "Please contact me before contacting my current employer"? I've done that before.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-02-2008, 01:15 PM
SiXSwordS SiXSwordS is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moto View Post
Just approach one of your coworkers - it shouldn't be an issue at all.

This sort of thing goes on all of the time, and there are no ethical problems with any of it.
Thanks for clarifying. It's a small enough company that I'm not sure that would work.

For now, I'm using, Please contact me before you contact my current employer.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-02-2008, 01:23 PM
twickster twickster is offline
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 37,842
A lot of applications have a yes/no box for "may we contact?" on previous employers; check no. As others have said, no one will think a thing about it. You should have other people lined up to serve as references, but it's not a problem at all to state "I don't want you to contact my current employer until an actual offer is pending."

Standard stuff, not a red flag -- most people who are currently employed keep a low profile about the fact that they're looking.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-02-2008, 01:23 PM
bordelond bordelond is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
SIXSwordS, you've got nothing to worry about -- this is a very small deal with practically nothing riding on it.

Not contacting a current employer is very much the standard. Indicating that you don't wish for your current employer to be contacted will not take you out of the running for a position, nor will it even raise an eyebrow. It will be understood by 99.99% of employers. It's not something you have to tiptoe around.

The only reason employers even ask this question is because it sets their starting-off point in researching your employment history. No one's out there saying "yeah ... Person A is a lot more qualified, but Person B said we could call his current employer! Person B therefore gets the gig!"

Quote:
It sounds a little harsh to my ear, but so does saying no and then specifying who they would contact if I had said yes.
Alternatively, you could indicate "no", with the reason being "This resume is submitted in confidence". That will more than suffice.

Last edited by bordelond; 10-02-2008 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-02-2008, 01:33 PM
SiXSwordS SiXSwordS is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
SIXSwordS, you've got nothing to worry about -- this is a very small deal with practically nothing riding on it. .. It will be understood by 99.99% of employers. It's not something you have to tiptoe around.

Alternatively, you could indicate "no", with the reason being "This resume is submitted in confidence". That will more than suffice.
Thanks all. It's been a while since I've been in this position and I'm more than a little apprehensive.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Harriet the Spry Harriet the Spry is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
You will probably be asked if they can contact your employer after making an offer. It's pretty common for an offer to be contingent on the reference check/employment verification. But by that time you have the new job lined up.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-03-2008, 01:30 AM
Nava Nava is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
I can understand where SiXSwordS is coming from, though. My brother lost his second job when someone at the agency where he'd just taken a psych test for another job asked one of his poker mates whether Bro was as "can do" as the test pegged him... the poker mate happened to be the main lawyer for the company Bro worked at, and a minority owner.

Bro was NOT pleased. He grabbed the newspaper ad explicitly stating "discretion assured" in one hand, his lawyer in the other and banged the agency with the lawyer repeatedly.

Since they're explicitly asking whether they can contact your current employer, say no and state that you don't want them to know you're looking at other opportunities. And when you're dealing with someone who doesn't ask explicitly, explicit it yourself.

Last edited by Nava; 10-03-2008 at 01:31 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-03-2008, 01:43 AM
sandra_nz sandra_nz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Has anyone noticed that "This resume is submitted in confidence" is six words? Just sayin'....
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-03-2008, 09:34 AM
SiXSwordS SiXSwordS is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriet the Spry View Post
[B]y that time you have the new job lined up.
I'm a little concerned about this too. I am in NO position to have no job. I'm worried that I will get to the point where I have to say, "Yes, you can talk to my employer." only to miss out on the job anyway.

Of course, that concern highlights why I'm looking in the first place.

BTW sandra_nz there may be six words, but are they Six's Words?

Last edited by SiXSwordS; 10-03-2008 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: crack
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.