The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Moriarty Moriarty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Can you induce ejaculation by massaging the prostate?

So, I'm watching the movie Road Trip, which includes a scene where a character gets "stimulated" to donate a sperm sample by a nurse who massages his prostate with her fingers. Painful, perhaps, but does this work?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 10-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Moriarty Moriarty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I spelled "can" and "induce" wrong in the title.
Can a mod please fix?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-10-2008, 09:38 PM
R. P. McMurphy R. P. McMurphy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicktom View Post
I spelled "can" and "induce" wrong in the title.
Can a mod please fix?
No, but a Bangkok call girl will.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 PM
samclem samclem is offline
graphite is a great moderator
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 21,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicktom View Post
I spelled "can" and "induce" wrong in the title.
Can a mod please fix?
Done. But enough with this one-handed typing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 PM
toadspittle toadspittle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Toadspittle Hill
Posts: 6,069
Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostate_massage
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-11-2008, 11:44 AM
panache45 panache45 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 22,029
Yes. This is why so many gay men are bottoms, and prefer well-hung partners.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-11-2008, 07:50 PM
PetW PetW is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
I was/am an avid listener of Loveline, and Dr. Drew Pinsky refuted this many times. He'd say that some guys were into it, but that for most it would not induce an orgasm and was extremely uncomfortable. I noticed the wikipedia article does not cite any of the claims that it produces an orgasm - all of the cites seem completely non sexual. Anyone have a better cite than wikipedia?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-11-2008, 08:12 PM
CaerieD CaerieD is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
It's not really ejaculation so much as a sort of...er...flow, but fluid is released and I've heard it described as orgasmic. Lacking a prostate myself, I can't speak from personal experience. There's more information here, here, and here.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Ignatz Ignatz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
The last time my proctologist did it I almost pissed myself.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-11-2008, 08:59 PM
PetW PetW is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaerieD View Post
It's not really ejaculation so much as a sort of...er...flow, but fluid is released and I've heard it described as orgasmic. Lacking a prostate myself, I can't speak from personal experience. There's more information here, here, and here.
Hmm.. prostate-massage-and-health.com, master-your-g-spot.com, and prostatepleasureguide.com
While those sites do have impressive scientific credentials, I'm not completely convinced.
Ignatz, how much did you enjoy having your prostate massaged by your doctor?

Last edited by PetW; 10-11-2008 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-11-2008, 09:05 PM
WhyNot WhyNot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 29,880
Was Dr. Drew denouncing ejaculation through prostate massage, or orgasm? It's my understanding that the two are not necessarily the same thing. But, y'know, it's hearsay for me: I don't have a prostate.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-12-2008, 04:14 AM
Illuminatiprimus Illuminatiprimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Speaking as someone who has experienced orgasm by prostate massage alone I can say that yes it does work.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 AM
PetW PetW is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Was Dr. Drew denouncing ejaculation through prostate massage, or orgasm? It's my understanding that the two are not necessarily the same thing. But, y'know, it's hearsay for me: I don't have a prostate.
He was basically disagreeing with the portrayal of it on Road Trip. People would call in asking if it'd really give you this great orgasm and he'd say that some guys enjoy it, but that it'd be extremely uncomfortable for most.
I looked online for a while last night, and it seems like prostate massage is used medically for inflamed prostates, to drain them of fluid. Prostatic fluid is one component of semen, and some sites (again, nothing too reputable) claim that massaging it can stimulate the release of that particular fluid.
Illuminatiprimus, since you have first hand experience (pardon the pun) would you mind telling us a little bit more about it? Was it uncomfortable at all? Was it more or less intense than a regular genital orgasm?
I still think the whole idea of the prostate being a male g-spot is really inaccurate, and misunderstood/misrepresented. Dr. Drew stated that he has massaged many prostates in patients and said that very few of them enjoyed it (maybe he just has cold hands?)

Last edited by PetW; 10-12-2008 at 05:34 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-12-2008, 05:52 AM
Illuminatiprimus Illuminatiprimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Not at all - I've experienced lots of prostate massage, either by myself with a toy or at the hands/cock of another guy. I've only orgasmed once by prostate massage alone though and it doesn't feel quite the same as a normal orgasm, the spasm is much more intense and feels like it's occurring really deep inside your body (which makes sense because it is). For all those times where I've not actually orgasmed but came close to it through massage, it kind of feels a little like you want to piss yourself but not exactly the same (in a good way, I hasten to add).

I think references to people not enjoying prostate massage at the hands of a medical examiner are kind of meaningless, they're not supposed to be enjoying it. If you're having it done by someone who is intending to give you sexual pleasure it's a completely different game.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-12-2008, 07:42 AM
CaerieD CaerieD is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetW View Post
Hmm.. prostate-massage-and-health.com, master-your-g-spot.com, and prostatepleasureguide.com
While those sites do have impressive scientific credentials, I'm not completely convinced.
Unfortunately, when I tried searching medical journals for "prostate orgasm" all I got was a bunch of articles on sexual dysfunction post-prostate cancer. If someone can find a medical study on it that would be great, but for me the fact that men experience it and seek out ways to better experience it is proof enough that it exists. Not the best of cites, I'll admit, but unless someone's been interested enough to study a particular sexual phenomenon it usually ends up in the realm of anecdotes.

The fact that men don't enjoy prostate exams or massage by their doctors, but can still have orgasms from stimulating the same organ shouldn't be a surprise, though. I've never known a woman who enjoyed pelvic examinations.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-12-2008, 09:53 AM
WhyNot WhyNot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 29,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetW View Post
Dr. Drew stated that he has massaged many prostates in patients and said that very few of them enjoyed it (maybe he just has cold hands?)
Ah. Well that explains it: Dr. Drew is an idiot.

Good thing he's not a gynecologist - he might be teaching his listeners that touching breasts makes women stare intently at the ceiling, or that inserting things into their vaginas makes them break out in small talk.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-12-2008, 03:31 PM
PetW PetW is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
At the very least it seems obvious that it doesn't work the way it's depicted in Road Trip, which was the question in the OP. The nurse fingers his prostate with no other sexual stimulation and instantly he has the best orgasm he's ever had.
Another interesting point is one of CaerieD's links says in the first paragraph "Prostate orgasm is the term used for massaging the prostate gland in order to produce a flow and elimination of seminal fluid (semen) without ejaculation."
I don't understand how semen can flow and be "eliminated" without ejaculation. Any ideas on what this might mean? It also seems to suggest that there would be no sperm, in which case the nurse doing it in Road Trip would be useless.

Last edited by PetW; 10-12-2008 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Musicat Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 17,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaerieD View Post
I've never known a woman who enjoyed pelvic examinations.
I have, but I wasn't their doctor.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Cillasi Cillasi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
My uncle, who was gay, used to call it a "finger wave." I truly couldn't tell you how it possibly came up in conversation...suffice to say that my uncle loved to "shock and awe" people with inappropriate references.

Supposedly, it leads to a very sudden and intense orgasm. I'm a girl, so I wouldn't know
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Jake Jake is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 3,395
Being over 50, I've had many prostate digital exams, and haven't enjoyed any of them, and certainly never ejaculated while having one.
Still, I think they're necessary, but uncomfortable. Uncomfortable to me at least.
There's a PSA count they can make with your blood but I understand the physical exam is still best. (It used to be called the "Finger Wave" in the service)
Where's Quadrop?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-12-2008, 04:53 PM
CutterJohn CutterJohn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
I was watching Dirty Jobs on the Discovery channel, and Mike had to stick a 2 ft long dildo gizmo up a bulls rear end. Apparently it was electrified, and stimulated the prostate. The point of the exercise was to get semen from the bull to sell, which was accomplished.

So based on that, I would say that there is something to the hole prostate massage thing, at least for bulls.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-12-2008, 05:13 PM
CaerieD CaerieD is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
That would be electroejaculation.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-12-2008, 05:26 PM
LouisB LouisB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Seminole, FL
Posts: 8,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Being over 50, I've had many prostate digital exams, and haven't enjoyed any of them, and certainly never ejaculated while having one.
Still, I think they're necessary, but uncomfortable. Uncomfortable to me at least.
There's a PSA count they can make with your blood but I understand the physical exam is still best. (It used to be called the "Finger Wave" in the service)
Where's Quadrop?
I'm older and I'll second this; I've had a bunch of the damn things and haven't enjoyed one yet.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Lamia Lamia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Ah. Well that explains it: Dr. Drew is an idiot.

Good thing he's not a gynecologist - he might be teaching his listeners that touching breasts makes women stare intently at the ceiling, or that inserting things into their vaginas makes them break out in small talk.
I remember years ago a poster here saying that he'd never understand how gay men could enjoy anal sex because he didn't enjoy having a prostate exam at all. I thought the same thing about having a pelvic -- if that's what sex was like for women, the human race would die out.

But if the question Dr. Drew was taking was specifically about the movie, and the movie showed a prostate massage being performed by a nurse for medical purposes, then I'd say his response was a fair one.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-12-2008, 08:38 PM
PetW PetW is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
But if the question Dr. Drew was taking was specifically about the movie, and the movie showed a prostate massage being performed by a nurse for medical purposes, then I'd say his response was a fair one.
To be fair, she was a really hot nurse.

CaerieD, thanks for the link! That wikipedia article is much better cited than the one on prostate massage. It has a link to the Colorado State University website which gives more detail.
Quote:
Another type of message used occasionally with bulls is to stroke the ampullae (terminal vas deferens), seminal vesicles and prostate gland through the wall of the rectum;
Quote:
Electroejaculation involves applying a series of short, low-voltage pulses of current to the pelvic nerves which are involved in the ejaculatory response.
Quote:
With bulls, where there is abundant experience collecting semen by both artificial vagina and electroejaculation, the samples collected using an electroejaculator usually have a larger volume (due to excessive accessory gland secretion) and a lower number of sperm.
Maybe I'll write a letter to Dr. Drew. As far as his assertion that only some men are into it, and most would find it highly uncomfortable, I'm willing to take his word for it. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I do remember that the question came from a woman, who was wondering if her boyfriend would enjoy it. Any brave, straight Dopers want to conduct a home experiment?

Last edited by PetW; 10-12-2008 at 08:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-13-2008, 11:21 AM
kimera kimera is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bagaces, Costa Rica
Posts: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetW View Post
As far as his assertion that only some men are into it, and most would find it highly uncomfortable, I'm willing to take his word for it. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I do remember that the question came from a woman, who was wondering if her boyfriend would enjoy it. Any brave, straight Dopers want to conduct a home experiment?
Of most of the men who I've talked to who had this done and didn't enjoy it, many of them had homophobic tendencies or were outright homophobic. In order to properly enjoy assplay, you have to be relaxed and, if you are worried about gayness, it is very difficult to relax.

Since all men have prostrates, I believe that any man could come to enjoy prostrate massage. First, you need to be comfortable with having things in your ass. Second, you need to take your time and stretch the anus so that it doesn't hurt. Thirdly, you need to get someone (or a device) to properly stimulate the prostrate.

I think this is like analingus. Yes, everyone has the capacity to enjoy it, but I think that most people will be too freaked out by what it is to like it. Of course, there are always those out there who never find the act pleasurable. Just like there are women for whom nipple stimulation doesn't do a thing.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-13-2008, 12:19 PM
gaffa gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I was watching Dirty Jobs on the Discovery channel, and Mike had to stick a 2 ft long dildo gizmo up a bulls rear end. Apparently it was electrified, and stimulated the prostate. The point of the exercise was to get semen from the bull to sell, which was accomplished.

So based on that, I would say that there is something to the hole prostate massage thing, at least for bulls.
It's true of other large land mammals as well. Here's a Daily Show clip about a man with one of the worst jobs in the world.

"What! And leave show business?"
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Critical Mass Critical Mass is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 822
I apologize in advance as I realize this is getting away from GQ territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimera
prostrate
prostate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimera
Since all men have prostrates, I believe that any man could come to enjoy prostrate massage.
Perhaps.

But I don't really care to find out if I may enjoy prostate massage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimera
Of most of the men who I've talked to who had this done and didn't enjoy it, many of them had homophobic tendencies or were outright homophobic.
Homophobia may be a reason for some men. However, I don't think that this would be the primary reason for most men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimera
First, you need to be comfortable with having things in your ass. Second, you need to take your time and stretch the anus so that it doesn't hurt. Thirdly, you need to get someone (or a device) to properly stimulate the prostrate.
This is the primary reason that I don't care to find out. I don't really feel the need to be comfortable with things in my ass. I certainly don't want to stretch my anus. Nor do I want to be able to discern proper vs improper stimulation of my prostate.

I think that I'm as gay-friendly as your average 40 year old Canadian non-religious hetero.

I just don't want to play with my ass. Is this abnormal?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-13-2008, 01:39 PM
gaffa gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwest View Post
Homophobia may be a reason for some men. However, I don't think that this would be the primary reason for most men.
It may not be the primary reason they think they won't enjoy it, but it really would seem to be the underlying theme.

What other reason to ignore an entire erogenous zone?

And it's not as much of a gay vs. straight thing as you might think. I was talking about sex with a very gay friend of mine, and anal sex came up. He was totally not into it, either giving or receiving. Strictly oral for him.

Quote:
This is the primary reason that I don't care to find out. I don't really feel the need to be comfortable with things in my ass.
It's a very useful skill if you ever have to smuggle anything into a prison. But that might never come up.

Quote:
I certainly don't want to stretch my anus. Nor do I want to be able to discern proper vs improper stimulation of my prostate.
You might reconsider as you get older. Prostate health is important, as is allowing another person to verify that it is in good shape. You don't have any conscious control of your anal sphincter, but getting more relaxed about it pretty much ensures that any contact with it will be less uncomfortable.

Quote:
I think that I'm as gay-friendly as your average 40 year old Canadian non-religious hetero.

I just don't want to play with my ass. Is this abnormal?
Normal is consensus. A better question is "is this healthy". And getting more comfortable with your anus may ensure better health.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Illuminatiprimus Illuminatiprimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwest View Post
I just don't want to play with my ass. Is this abnormal?
It's not abnormal at all but I would say you don't know what you're missing out on, if you never try it how do you know if you won't like it? That said a big factor of enjoying being penetrated for a guy is the psychological component, and as straight men are usually the penetrator I can see why you wouldn't want to give it a go.

But a lot of straight men enjoy having things put in their bum, it doesn't make them any less straight.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-13-2008, 02:46 PM
panache45 panache45 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 22,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
And it's not as much of a gay vs. straight thing as you might think. I was talking about sex with a very gay friend of mine, and anal sex came up. He was totally not into it, either giving or receiving. Strictly oral for him.
Ditto for me and my partner of almost 21 years. And as for medical exams, my reaction has been: That's it? What's the big deal? I think a lot of straight guys feign pain or discomfort out of fear of appearing gay. In truth, compare the size of your finger with the size of an average turd. Meh.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-13-2008, 03:31 PM
toadspittle toadspittle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Toadspittle Hill
Posts: 6,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
It may not be the primary reason they think they won't enjoy it, but it really would seem to be the underlying theme.
I agree. Not homophobic in any way, but I think there is just too much baggage tied up in all of thatónot just being perceived as "gay," but also, for men, the simple act of being penetrated. It's a traditional "female", "submissive" role, and it's hard for us guys to wrap our heads around that, however open-minded we may be.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Santo Rugger Santo Rugger is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
So based on that, I would say that there is something to the hole prostate massage thing, at least for bulls.
Freudian?


Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-13-2008, 08:02 PM
PetW PetW is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwest
I apologize in advance as I realize this is getting away from GQ territory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimera
prostrate
prostate
Hey we all know what kimera meant, no need to be so anal about spelling.

Last edited by PetW; 10-13-2008 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-14-2008, 11:06 AM
countthread countthread is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
A different view

I'll offer the unheard viewpoint-- a straight male who enjoys prostate stimulation!

To my fellow straight guys: yes, the first time you do it, and probably for a while thereafter, it's uncomfortable. It feels weird. In first times I had experience with it were in medical settings, and let me tell you (and any gay man reading this), it's PAINFUL. Shock-out-of-your shoes painful. Nothing homophobic about that, just the truth.

But. . . On my own terms, over time by myself and with some past crazy-as-hell girlfriends, I've learned how I feel. What was unpleasant at first eventually became pleasant, and then downright enjoyable.

Now, the doctor's office is still uncomfortable, but it's not painful anymore. I guess that once you're "broken in," it never really feels painful again.

That said, back to the OP-- in my reading, even the men who find a prostate massage pleasurable don’t always orgasm from it. I, for one, have never had an orgasm from prostate stimulation alone. It's an intense feeling, an enjoyable feeling, but alone it's never been enough to get me over the top. Other men have different experiences (YMMV).

One thing to remember is there is a difference between a prostate *orgasm* and prostate milking. I believe that the latter can be accomplished in virtually all men, i.e. via the prostate you can be stimulated to ejaculation without the accompanying orgasm. I believe you could hear more about it from some BDSM/chastity fetishists (allegedly, it's quite frustrating-- release without satisfaction, and all that jazz).

Finally, and don't forget-- part of the issue for men who've never had anything inserted in their anus is just that. Forget about whether touching the prostate feels good or hurts-- simply the insertion of a finger into the anus without proper warming-up and lubrication will hurt. Of course, these same men who complain about a finger will then turn around and pass a bowel movement the size of a beer can and think nothing of it, so it's not the size that's an issue-- it's the direction, and the readiness/purpose.

Anyway, my personal mantra is, if it feels good, do it, and stimulation of the anus and prostate feels physically good for a reason (nerve endings galore). It may make one "weird," but it doesn't make one gay.

Last edited by countthread; 10-14-2008 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Ignatz Ignatz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetW View Post
Hmm.. prostate-massage-and-health.com, master-your-g-spot.com, and prostatepleasureguide.com
While those sites do have impressive scientific credentials, I'm not completely convinced.
Ignatz, how much did you enjoy having your prostate massaged by your doctor?
[Ignatz responds: On a scale of 1 to 10, zero. No orgasmic effect of sensation, just like I was about to empty my bladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminatiprimus View Post
It's not abnormal at all but I would say you don't know what you're missing out on, if you never try it how do you know if you won't like it? That said a big factor of enjoying being penetrated for a guy is the psychological component, and as straight men are usually the penetrator I can see why you wouldn't want to give it a go.

But a lot of straight men enjoy having things put in their bum, it doesn't make them any less straight.
[Ignatz responds: Doesn't that depend on whose/whatsis is put in? If it's a girlfriend's social finger (to use R. Lee Ermy's term on Mail Call), or a dildo, that would not make him, or prove him, gay, but if it's a penis, I think that would do it, by definition.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by countthread View Post
I'll offer the unheard viewpoint-- a straight male who enjoys prostate stimulation!

To my fellow straight guys: yes, the first time you do it, and probably for a while thereafter, it's uncomfortable. It feels weird. In first times I had experience with it were in medical settings, and let me tell you (and any gay man reading this), it's PAINFUL. Shock-out-of-your shoes painful. Nothing homophobic about that, just the truth.

But. . . On my own terms, over time by myself and with some past crazy-as-hell girlfriends, I've learned how I feel. What was unpleasant at first eventually became pleasant, and then downright enjoyable.

Now, the doctor's office is still uncomfortable, but it's not painful anymore. I guess that once you're "broken in," it never really feels painful again."

[Ignatz responds: My doctors' probings were never painful, thanks to the lubes they used, The last one, though, as mentioned above was uncomfortable, not the initial intromission, but the search for the enlargement that has never been found, fortunately, but you can believe those "Flomax" commercials. There is a reduction in semen, drastic, in my case.]

<snip> Finally, and don't forget-- part of the issue for men who've never had anything inserted in their anus is just that. Forget about whether touching the prostate feels good or hurts-- simply the insertion of a finger into the anus without proper warming-up and lubrication will hurt. Of course, these same men who complain about a finger will then turn around and pass a bowel movement the size of a beer can and think nothing of it, so it's not the size that's an issue-- it's the direction, and the readiness/purpose.

Anyway, my personal mantra is, if it feels good, do it, and stimulation of the anus and prostate feels physically good for a reason (nerve endings galore). It may make one "weird," but it doesn't make one gay.
[Ignatz responds: Like I said, that depends on who or what does the stimulus, IMO]

If anyone enjoyed (?) the Daily Show video on "Whacking the Pachyderm", you'll love the following intromission


http://webmail.att.net/wmc/en-US/v/w...id=2888&sid=c0

[feel free to advise how to do a "linky" thing.]
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-14-2008, 09:02 PM
gaffa gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
If anyone enjoyed (?) the Daily Show video on "Whacking the Pachyderm", you'll love the following intromission


http://webmail.att.net/wmc/en-US/v/w...id=2888&sid=c0

[feel free to advise how to do a "linky" thing.]
Ummm...not like that?

First off, we'd have to be logged into your AT&T webmail account. It probably would be a bad idea to post your username and password so we can log in and see it.

Second, your every paragraph in a post, especially when quoting someone else, does NOT require referring to yourself in the third person. In fact, most folks tend to find that VERY ANNOYING and makes them get all stabby.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 PM
jimpatro jimpatro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Boy, talk about overgeneralizing. I've experienced women who could climax having their feet stimulated. Or just their nipples alone. Why not a guy through a prostate exam. Everybody's different.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Antinor01 Antinor01 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpatro View Post
Boy, talk about overgeneralizing. I've experienced women who could climax having their feet stimulated. Or just their nipples alone. Why not a guy through a prostate exam. Everybody's different.
I had an ex that got off once through only nipple stimulation. So yes, I've got to agree that guys can have an orgasm under many different sets of circumstances.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-15-2008, 04:46 AM
Smeghead Smeghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicktom View Post
Can you induce ejaculation by massaging the prostate?
Well, all right, just this once. But you're going to owe me BIG!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Bad Astronaut Bad Astronaut is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimera View Post
Of most of the men who I've talked to who had this done and didn't enjoy it, many of them had homophobic tendencies or were outright homophobic. In order to properly enjoy assplay, you have to be relaxed and, if you are worried about gayness, it is very difficult to relax.

Since all men have prostrates, I believe that any man could come to enjoy prostrate massage. First, you need to be comfortable with having things in your ass. Second, you need to take your time and stretch the anus so that it doesn't hurt. Thirdly, you need to get someone (or a device) to properly stimulate the prostrate.
This is exactly what Dr. Drew often criticized on Loveline - the idea that everyone (of both genders) would enjoy receptive anal if they would just stop being so uptight. This is often a theme of sexual "free spirits" such as sex columnists.

Another related theme that Drew regularly debunked is the idea that all women can have great orgasms from intercourse alone, and if they can't then they or their partners aren't doing it right.

To be fair though, Drew is not exactly the poster boy for evidence-based medicine.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Zulaboz Zulaboz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
I feel I have to resurrect this thread to offer my own experience.
Sorry if it gets a bit graphic, I will try and keep it fairly terse.
It's all in the name of scientific exploration :P

To test the feeling and result of a proper prostate massage I've attempted to do it several several times using various implements. Nothing ever came of it, pardon the pun.

Usually I would feel something pleasurable, and at times it would start getting really good, but for some reason it never got past that point, and it seemed the area would get insensitive and hard to stimulate again if I happened to slack for a minute or lose concentration.

Then I bought a curved implement, having been informed through research that it was the best possible tool for accomplishing the task. After a couple of tries which were also unsuccessful (success being defined as producing ejaculate fluid), I had my partner try. Somehow she managed to find a highly pleasurable spot with her fingers, but tired from the strain before anything earth shattering happened.

Now I had a much better idea of where to try. The area producing the strongest sensations wasn't as far in as I previously thought, but I still wasn't sure exactly where or how I'd find it on my own. On my latest attempt, it seemed a repeat of previous attempts, not particularly arousing or pleasurable beyond a certain point, up until I almost gave up and tried even less deep than I thought I had to, mostly so I could know for certain that it wasn't the spot either.

Unexpectedly, the motion was intensely pleasurable and almost immediately produced a strong erection. Within a short while the rhythmic stimulation caused a full _manually controlled_ ejaculation, with more ejaculate than normal. Interestingly, even though I tried to force the ejaculate by tensing my PC muscle, it didn't have nearly as much effect as was accomplished by the tool.
Also interesting, while extremely pleasurable and easily comparable to a regular orgasm - though lasting much longer, there was no refractory period at all. The erection was still present and none of the mental/physical feelings that typically accompany the refractory period were present either.

It seems that being at least slightly aroused or erect helps the process considerably, at least in my experience, possibly by enlarging the area internally and making it more sensitive or plain easier to hit.
However, I've seen several people in online videos accomplish the same effect while being entirely flaccid, so it doesn't seem to be necessary.

In my experiments I have not once experienced any pain or unpleasant feelings. I think being relaxed and not having any kind of hang-ups about stimulating that part of the body is important for a good experience. People with misgivings or some delusion that it'll make them gay probably shouldn't try.

It may take a bit of practice, as I can attest to, but all the fumbling around certainly paid off.
Good luck to anyone finding this post via google.
It's something everyone ought to try at least once, in the name of scientific progress
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-12-2012, 03:17 PM
johnpost johnpost is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
zombie or no

glad everything came out all right.

lovers with long fingers can't be beat.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.