Sweet Mincemeat in a Crockpot

Does anyone have a good recipe for sweet mincemeat made in a slow cooker? I have a recipe that says it needs 3hrs in the oven on gas mark 1/2 but mine doesn’t go that low and I’m reluctant to leave it on so low in case it goes out.

I thought perhaps a slow cooker version would work well - anybody got any bright ideas?

I have no useful information to add here, but I did want to say that “Sweet Mincemeat in a Crockpot!” is now going to be my standard expression of shocked surprise, until a better phrase comes along.

Do it with a Jamaican lilt, like Hermes Conrad.

I just posted my thread about making mincemeat and remembered that I meant to respond to this thread, but forgot.

In case the OP is still interested, here’s the recipe I use. I cook it on the stoveptop, so I would think it would be adaptable to a slow cooker?

1 lb lean ground beef
¼ lb. ground suet
4-5 large apples, cored, peeled & diced
½ cup white vinegar
1½ cups white sugar
½ cup molasses
1 lemon, juice & rind, grated or zested
2 oranges, juice & rind, grated or zested
½ tbsp allspice
½ tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1½ lbs. raisins
½ lb. currants
2¼ cup apple juice

Cook ground beef and suet in a large heavy stew pot or dutch oven until meat is not pink. Add the ingredients, in order, stirring each time. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Lower heat to simmer and let cook for 1½ hours, stirring every so often to keep if moving.

Once done, I keep it in the pot out in the garage, which in Canada is the seasonal equivalent of a freezer. :slight_smile:

I bring it back in as needed, and spoon the mincemeat into boughten tartlet shells, cooking them at 350° F for 20 - 30 minutes.