The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-01-2005, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953
Toys receive the spark of sentience upon arriving at the IoMT, so they are immediately and constantly tormented night and day with thoughts of their own inadequacies. Once they're distributed as presents, they revert to blissful nothingness.

Kinda creepy.

I think the toys are Santa's horcruxes.
Advertisements  
Old 12-02-2005, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords
I thought it was funny that they presented it in HDTV - after all, it's made on probably old 16mm film.
It was filmed on 35mm.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:39 AM

I'm so glad this thread is here, as it answers a question which came up at work last night and was argued over for several hours - the dentist elf's name. For some reason, we settled on Timothy, but knew it wasn't quite right. How wrong we were!

Now, another question to add: what the hell is that sound Rudolph's nose makes when it glows? Why? Does anything make that noise while glowing?
Old 12-02-2005, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaranta
Now, another question to add: what the hell is that sound Rudolph's nose makes when it glows? Why? Does anything make that noise while glowing?
Because it's cute, it's cuuuuuuuuute! *flies around room*
Old 12-02-2005, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaranta
Easy it is caused by the beating of the wings of the lumimous parisites in his shnoz which cause sympathetic vibrations in Rudolph's skull that are amplified by his sinus cavities.

Don't you know anything about micans nose morbus?
Old 12-02-2005, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpengvin
Easy it is caused by the beating of the wings of the lumimous parisites in his shnoz which cause sympathetic vibrations in Rudolph's skull that are amplified by his sinus cavities.

Could you provide some more detailed information about this, it sounds quite fascinating?

Jim
Old 12-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I thought it was an unusually high concentration of mistle-chlorians.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfranchi
Could you provide some more detailed information about this, it sounds quite fascinating?

Jim

We it is a rare condition found in the species Rangifer tarandus. Essentially it is a small luminous pariste found in the tundra called the Recubo bug. It is similar to a lightbug, but is much smaller and it's glow is tinted by its blood giving it a red look. In its larval stage it can be found in droppings. If a reindeer roots through the droppings the larva will crawl into the nose and continue to grow in the warm damp areas.

Eventually it will pass the pupa stage in fly out the nose of its host. It is in this stage that it adopts its distinct red glow. Occasionally there are cases where the insect will be trapped in the nose of its host. If there are more than one Recubo they will cause the nose to literally glow, this is accompanied by the unique sound caused by the method I described before.

This is known as micans nose morbus.

In the extremely rare case, when there is a swarm of Recubi in the nose, the host has been lifted by them and there is the appearance of flying.

In real life the sound and the constant glow of the nose causes madness and eventually death in the host. It is a horribly sad thing.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas
First you ask "Who did Santa shoot," then you comment on the missing reindeer. I thnk you answered your own question.
And you'll notice that Fireball is NEVER seen again.

I'm thinking Santa has something against blonde shocks of hair.

PS-and what a nag Mrs was! Santa was mean and Mrs is a fishwife! Lovely people.

I'm with the wife from Europe waaaay upthread (and I didn't know I was going back in time when I opened this! Very neat)--this is a Christmas story?

Perhaps the original error was basing the whole story on a Monkey Wards promo figure, anyways.......

(no comment on the nose infestation post--trying hard not to bring up breakfast over here!)
Old 12-02-2005, 09:33 AM

Quote:
We it is a rare condition found in the species Rangifer tarandus. Essentially it is a small luminous pariste found in the tundra called the Recubo bug. It is similar to a lightbug, but is much smaller and it's glow is tinted by its blood giving it a red look. In its larval stage it can be found in droppings. If a reindeer roots through the droppings the larva will crawl into the nose and continue to grow in the warm damp areas.

Eventually it will pass the pupa stage in fly out the nose of its host. It is in this stage that it adopts its distinct red glow. Occasionally there are cases where the insect will be trapped in the nose of its host. If there are more than one Recubo they will cause the nose to literally glow, this is accompanied by the unique sound caused by the method I described before.

In the extremely rare case, when there is a swarm of Recubi in the nose, the host has been lifted by them and there is the appearance of flying.

In real life the sound and the constant glow of the nose causes madness and eventually death in the host. It is a horribly sad thing.
Ignorance fought yet again by SDMB.

Thank You
Jim
Old 12-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

I was going to suggest that the squeal was caused by feedback in the sound recording equipment due to the HF interference from the electronics in Rudy's nose, but I think we should stick with kingpengvin's more scientific-sounding (and terrifyingly plausible) explanation.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99
I was going to suggest that the squeal was caused by feedback in the sound recording equipment due to the HF interference from the electronics in Rudy's nose, but I think we should stick with kingpengvin's more scientific-sounding (and terrifyingly plausible) explanation.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Interesting theory. It does, however, conflict with the one stating the glowing red nose is a genetic mutation caused by exposure to radioactivity. Apparently, at least one of Rudolph's parents was exposed to radioactive materials by way of fall-out from Cold War-era above-ground nuclear tests that drifted into the Arctic or flying through an area that was recently contaminated by an atomic blast. Given what we know what exposure to excessive amounts of radiation can do, Rudolph's parents should've been thankful that their offspring was born with just a luminous red nose.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walloon
It was filmed on 35mm.
Hmmm... Up until now, it had been looking like very poorly treated film.

As in, are they washing it with eggnog each year?
Old 12-02-2005, 05:17 PM

I just purchased Rick Goldschmidt's book Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Making of the Rankin-Bass Animated Classic. Interesting stuff. Perhaps most interesting is the original 1963 rough draft script. The story is the same, but there are some scenes and other things which didn't make it to the final cut. And Sam the Snowman was going to be played by Stubby Kaye instead of Burl Ives, so he's "a rolly-polly (sic), Runyonesque little snowman...the Nicely-Nicely Johnson of snowmen" and presumably speaks with a New York accent. There are also pictures of some vintage GE commericals featuring the characters and the original closing credits sequence. Good stuff.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

*BUMP*

Happy Holidays 2006
Old 11-24-2006, 11:23 AM

All right then, I'll announce it as I do each year. The 42nd annual airing of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer will be at 8pm EST on Friday, December 8 on CBS (followed by the animated Frosty the Snowman and entertaining-yet-bizarre Bill Melendez effort Frosty Returns). As always, this thread is dedicated to the memory of poopah chalupa, originator of the Dope's holiday tradition. You'll go down in history!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:22 AM

I caught it this year for the first time since I was a kid. Awesomely disturbing! But my stupid tape cut off a few minutes from the end. I really wanted to see whether it was a murder or suicide.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Well, I was in my hotel in Toronto (business) last night bored out of my skull and flipping chanels when I happened upon the opening credits. Brought a nostalgic tear to my eye it did.

Was it my imagination or was some footage that was trimmed for extra commercial time restored? There were some scenes I don't remember seeing in years past.

Merry Christmas! by the way.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMalion
Was it my imagination or was some footage that was trimmed for extra commercial time restored? There were some scenes I don't remember seeing in years past.
If I'm remembering correctly, they didn't include the "elf practice" scene in there back in the 80's, but it was restored somewhere around 1990 or so.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interface2x
If I'm remembering correctly, they didn't include the "elf practice" scene in there back in the 80's, but it was restored somewhere around 1990 or so.

Ah-ha! Thanks, interface2x.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:56 PM

Can I be excused for not reading every thread in between page one and this last one? Excuse me if this has been brought up before.

I have to give credit where it's due, my wife was the first to make note of the owl assassination plot during the closing credits. I brought the point up way back when but seemed to be passing off the observation as if mine own.

Well my ever-astute wife picked up on another odd tidbit.

Anyone notice Herbie/Hermie's ears?

They are definitely not the pointed elfin ones that the others possess.

Could it be that Her(m)bie is the bastard son of and result of some indiscretion involving one of the female elves and ….well, it would have to be Santa!

This would explain why Hermie doesn’t like to make toys and has aspirations other than those of the typical elf.

Might this also explain why Santa is such an insufferable grouch when he is around the elves?
Anyone?

Again hope this topic hasn't already been broached
Old 12-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minlokwat
Can I be excused for not reading every thread in between page one and this last one?
Nope, no excuse, go back and read all the threads then re-post. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobo85
I just purchased Rick Goldschmidt's book Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Making of the Rankin-Bass Animated Classic. Interesting stuff. Perhaps most interesting is the original 1963 rough draft script. The story is the same, but there are some scenes and other things which didn't make it to the final cut. And Sam the Snowman was going to be played by Stubby Kaye instead of Burl Ives, so he's "a rolly-polly (sic), Runyonesque little snowman...the Nicely-Nicely Johnson of snowmen" and presumably speaks with a New York accent. There are also pictures of some vintage GE commericals featuring the characters and the original closing credits sequence. Good stuff.
When I bumped this thread, I didn't even notice this post.

Thanks for mobo85 for making me aware of this great book thta I definitely have to get.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoke-

If the elf didn't know
You must let him go!

[Les Nessman Voice] I swear on my life; I thought owls could fly [/LNV]
Old 12-11-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furlibusea
[Les Nessman Voice] I swear on my life; I thought owls could fly [/LNV]
turkeys
Old 12-11-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq
turkeys
Well yah but it was an owl in Rudolph. Oh well, serves me right.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq
turkeys
Man, that may be one of the more vicious whooshings I've ever seen...
Old 12-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furlibusea
Well yah but it was an owl in Rudolph. Oh well, serves me right.
And in WKRP it was Mr. Carlson, not Les Nessman.

So I guess owls is okay.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:59 AM

Appropriate Comic Strip

This strip strip summarizes the OP well. Francesco Marciuliano has a wicked sense of humor! It's hard to believe the same man writes Drink at Work and Sally Forth.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Also, the original airing had animated ads for the sponsor, General Electric, featuring the singing elves. It was GE's head who did not like "We're a Couple of Misfits," which had them remove it and replace it with "Fame and Fortune" from 1965 (1065?) to 1997.
I came here to bring this up...I just saw it last night, end to end for the first time in a LOOONG time. When Hermie & Rudolph hook up and head out, I was expecting the Fame & Fortune song, and wondered why the hell were they doing a reprise of Misfits?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caractacus Pott
This strip strip summarizes the OP well. Francesco Marciuliano has a wicked sense of humor! It's hard to believe the same man writes Drink at Work and Sally Forth.
This is now hanging up in my cubicle. And I have sent the link to many friends. Thank you.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interface2x

What was up with the voice of the head elf for elf practice? It was completely different than the voice he uses for the rest of the show.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoe
What was up with the voice of the head elf for elf practice? It was completely different than the voice he uses for the rest of the show.
It was always my impression that the head elf used an affected a cutesy "suck-up-to-Santa" tone to his voice only when Santa was around. Otherwise, he spoke with a "drill sergeant" voice.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:52 PM

I thought they were trying to pass him off as a separate character.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

Anyway, since I brought up the topic of elf drill sergeants, here's a relevant video link.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Here she comes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS
THE LONGEST-RUNNING HOLIDAY SPECIAL RETURNS
Tuesday, December 4, 8pm et/pt
RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER!

"Ready Rudolph?"

Last edited by BMalion; 11-28-2007 at 12:26 PM..
Old 11-28-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMalion
Here she comes!

RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER!

"Ready Rudolph?"
It seems appropriate that the longest running Christmas Special has the longest running thread. Thanks for posting the date. My kids still love this and I of course grew up on it.

Jim
Old 11-28-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit?
My kids still love this and I of course grew up on it.

Jim
The cartoon or this thread?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minlokwat
The cartoon or this thread?
Okay, that made me laugh.

(the cartoon for the record)
Old 11-28-2007, 03:01 PM

God, I can't believe I'm posting in the Rudolph thread. [/starstruck]

I always loved this special, even though Rudolph's father (Donner?) was a bit of a jerk. I used to watch this on VHS every year, but our new entertainment center won't let me play VHS tapes.

Maybe I'll catch it on TV.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP
It was always my impression that the head elf used an affected a cutesy "suck-up-to-Santa" tone to his voice only when Santa was around. Otherwise, he spoke with a "drill sergeant" voice.
I thought he was being a suck up, too...never occurred to me his talking differently was a mistake or a different character. Wow, if that was their attempt at a different character...::shakes head::

ETA: Anybody know when it's coming on this year?

Last edited by Zoggie; 11-28-2007 at 03:02 PM..
Old 11-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Whee! Forget when the stores decorate. Forget when the radio starts playing Christmas music all day. Forget Thanksgiving. Seeing this thread pop up marks the real start of the Christmas season.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoggie
ETA: Anybody know when it's coming on this year?
As BMalion told us, the 43rd annual showing of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer will be on Tuesday, December 4 at 8pm.

Rudolph and the gang are starring in a clever spot for Aflac insurance animated in the style of the original special.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
As BMalion told us, the 43rd annual showing of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer will be on Tuesday, December 4 at 8pm.

Rudolph and the gang are starring in a clever spot for Aflac insurance animated in the style of the original special.
D'oh! I should've scrolled up further.

Thanks, I can't wait.

"Ready, Santa!"
Old 11-29-2007, 01:25 AM

Let me be the first of the season to point out the...less savory...aspects of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. As a child, I was always very touched by the scene where Rudolph and Hermie head off into the snow, running away from Christmastown and the only lives they had ever known. Without so much as backpacks or a can of lighter fluid! THAT is bravery! The Burl Ives voiceover says "Nobody knows how Hermie and Rudolph made it through that first night..."

But as has been mentioned....that blond reindeer, Fireball, was never seen again. The conclusion is simple. Hermie and Rudolph needed food for their Arctic adventure. We already know that the other reindeer- and Santa himself!- were wildly bigoted against those of different appearance. Since they were unable to access supplies from Santa's larder- witness the lack of luggage- they took something that wouldn't be missed....

The other mutant reindeer.

Christmasville never organized a search party for RUDOLPH. And HE was from a prominent family! Noone would ever complain about the fact that some reindeer prole never showed up for work the next day. Noone who mattered...
Old 12-04-2007, 07:42 PM

Poor Fireball. I always did like him.

Did anyone find anything...a lil dirty about Comet telling the kids he wants to be their "pal"? No, okay, maybe not. But in our day and age of "To Catch a Predator," it does come off as rather hilarious.

Also...RUDOLPH! It's on! Right now!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:17 PM

GAH! Cut off before the murder/suicide scene again. Darn DVR. Maybe I'll just *buy* the silly movie.

Was asked a question today at school... One of the other teachers has an LP about Rudolph's first Christmas. In it, Santa is flying around on the foggy Christmas Eve trying to see in each window if it is a boy or a girl, when he sees one window lit up from the glowing nose of a sleeping reindeer. And that's how he found Rudolph. (Okay, that's sort of what she said, I can't remember exactly.) Has anyone else ever heard a version like this? She was always confused as a child by the show because of the differences.

Last edited by RachelChristine; 12-04-2007 at 08:17 PM..
Old 12-05-2007, 03:24 AM

I've always wanted to contribute to this thread!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/1....ap/index.html

A link to a story about the surviving Santa & Rudolph figures & their restoration.

VCNJ~
Old 12-05-2007, 09:45 AM

I remember seeing those figurines (or their replicas) on display at NBC studios in New York when my family visited in 1968.